[0.21.1] Alien Nostromo (ver. 1.3.7)

jcogs

Version: 0.21.1

It's a bit of a bear to take off from the runway without the Z key working, but it can be done.

At the end of the runway, raise the gear and let the craft settle. Then lower the gear... when the craft jumps up, hit full throttle and with RCS on, orient the nose upward and climb out...

It may take a few tries...

I landed on the Mun, by up-ending the craft, and descending engines down... then flattening out at the last moment to land on the gear.

Sure wish the Z key was working! (but I hope jcogs found a job more... take care of the income first... then Nostromo :)

As far as I can tell, this mod is dead. However, I do not see any "permissions for reviving the mod"

The user also seems dead.

Tis a shame..

I asked Jcogs some time back for permission to keep it going but he said he was coming back so no need, but that was over a year ago now so yeah, I would say the Nostromo is done unless someone wants to make another one, and come october it will be a year ive slowly been working on the Sulaco, so i sure as hell am not taking over this one lol or attempting another one. It always needed a bit of colour IMO.

Omg it would be so awsome if every modder interested in alien could participate to make every single alien vehicle for ksp! :D would be so cool if we could have like a ksp ALIENS and ALIEN collection for the game!!!

Hello, everyone. I apologize for this late fix and for my absence. The last few months have not necessarily been kind to me. After many extensions, I finally finished my project at work and was promptly laid off at the end of May. I work in visual effects. The job market for VFX has been exceptionally poor, especially in LA, making it difficult to secure a job. Because of this I have had to move out of the house that I was living in and have instead been living on the couches of friends and family. I did not have access to the computer with KSP, nor did I have time to play the game.

After moving for the third time in two months I was able to find some time to at least update the plugin to allow the engine switching to work again. The updated plugin is available as its own download on the front page of this post, and has been added to the pack downloads.

Again, I apologize for not keeping this up to date, but this has not been anywhere near the top of my priority list.

• 2 months later...

1.3 loads fine. 1.3.7 only loads the nose section.any ideas?

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

reentry.png

This is a construction of the Nostromo from the film Alien for KSP. This features both vertical and horizontal engines that can be toggled for landing, as well as animated landing gear.

This has been given a temporary update for KSP version .181. This version has been checked and is compatible with KSP version .21.1. The parts have been updated to make the Nostromo compatible, but it has not been fully converted to the new Resource system yet. I am working on converting it, but it is going to require a complete rebalancing of the ship as well as updating the parts to be compatible with the new part modules, which is going to take time.

Please Note: A custom plugin is required (Nost_pluginModule.dll, included in the download package) for the engine switching as well as for the animated landing gear. Make sure to move the file to the plugin directory within the KSP directory. Source code has been included.

Controls:

This can be launched in a vertical configuration or a horizontal configuration. Controls are standard KSP with one difference:

Use the z key to toggle the two sets of engines. It defaults to the vertical configuration.

Two versions are being made available. Version 1.3 is a direct port of the previous release with the only other change being an increase in the mass of all parts:

Download:

Version 1.3.7 has EVA support, but the ship is 3 times larger than the previous release. The crew elevator is now functioning using the now standard KSPEvent system. Right click to raise and lower the elevator. PLEASE NOTE: when the elevator is in the down position the right click menu will pop up near the hatch, so you will need to zoom out to see the menu.

Download:

Due to a change in code between versions 0.19 and 0.20 the previously available plugin for engine switching was broken. I have updated the plugin so engine switching can work for version 0.21.1 and have made it available for download separately as nothing else changed in the download package:

Download updated plugin:

Changelog:

ver.1.1:

-Switched the engine toggle default key from ~ to z

-Added bindKey attribute to engines to allow the user to change the toggle key

-Made the engine toggling more responsive

-included the source code in the download package

ver.1.2:

-New KSP .16 compatible .craft files

-All parts have normal maps

-Changes to engines and crew section to make it more mechJeb friendly

-Changes to landing gear to make it more landing friendly

-A few model and texture tweaks

ver.1.3:

-Changes to parts to make them more compatible with KSP .181

-Increased the overall mass by a factor of 10

ver.1.3.5:

-Added EVA support, but no functioning crew elevator

-Increased the size of the ship by a factor of 3 to bring the ship in scale with the Kerbals

ver.1.3.6:

-Small model tweaks to elevator

-Added functioning code for the elevator

ver.1.3.7:

-Fixes to plugin module to allow engine switching

Include in the package:

-All the parts to build the Nostromo. Many parts have both left and right sides because they are not rotationally symmetric.

-Craft files for both the VAB and SPH so yu don\'t have to put all the parts together yourself.

-The custom plugin Nost_pluginModule.dll that handles the engine switching and animated landing gear.

-The source code for the above plugin.

Known Issues:

-I have tried to stay as faithful to the original design as possible. While I have done my best to balance it, sometimes it can get a little unwieldy. I would recommend the use of sas.

-Due to its size and configuration, it is not always mechJeb friendly. MechJeb does not recognize the horizontal landing ability.

-In order to keep it stable the mass and thrusts of the parts are low relative to their size. This means that the parts might seem underpowered when used with other parts.

-Due to the asymmetrical design and the need to keep it balanced, the parts are only attachable through stacking. This dampens the ability to use them for custom designs.

-The elevator works but has not been rigorously tested. The right-click menu will always pop up near the hatch.

-This version is not converted to the Resource system, so the fuel gauges will no longer update on the UI. Good thing that this has so much fuel that it shouldn't be a problem.

Future Plans:

-Add a cockpit for IVA

-Make all parts compatible with the new Resource system

jtaylor13: I tested 1.3.7 with the .22 release on two machines and had a friend test it on his machine with no issues. Can you describe how you installed it? Might lead to more clues.

• 2 months later...

This threads pretty old, I better close it :/

If jcogs returns and wants to continue it he can PM me, or someone could contact him regarding continuing this addon, but it's probably time for a new thread anyway.