Apollo Mission Recreation (And More!) [Requesting Ground Crew Aid!]

ZooNamedGames

12 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Ok, so when will the next launch be? And if the FIDO and EECOM could respond to my PM from a few days ago, that would be great. Assume a 330 minute mission.

It depends if i have to work on that day to be able to do the mission, like i said: i'm looking for a FIDO backup that wants to jump in when i'm not available.

1 hour ago, MK3424 said:

It depends if i have to work on that day to be able to do the mission, like i said: i'm looking for a FIDO backup that wants to jump in when i'm not available.

Ok, what about the questions I asked via PM? It was stuff like ∆V needed, etc.

3 hours ago, MK3424 said:

Hehe, lol.

It's going to be a ~330 minute mission, along the lines of Gemini 3. You get to decide the (in-game) launch time, inclination, orbit height, and times for orbital maneuvers, including the deorbit burn. For the deorbit burn, I will give you the ∆V available, and you can calculate the time and direction for the burn. The ∆V for the deorbit burn is a fixed amount, and cannot be changed. You also should tell me 1.5 times the ∆V needed to get to our target orbit, and the ∆V needed for the orbital maneuvers. We will be doing a retrograde burn to a nearly circular orbit, an inclination change, a retro burn to a possible reentry, and the deorbit burn. The possible reentry burn will give us a perigee of ~70km, and the deorbit burn will put the craft on a suborbital trajectory.

You decide the initial orbit (no more than 200x200 km, as the launcher doesn't have enough ∆V), the parameters of the second orbit, the degree of plane change, the parameters of the possible reentry orbit, and when to do the deorbit burn. You also need to figure out the burn times for the spacecraft, but that comes after I get the masses for the spacecraft from EECOM. Once you figure out the times to execute each burn, EECOM will give me the mass of the consumables at the burns, and I will give you the total mass of the spacecraft and the thrust available at each burn. From that, you should be able to figure out how long the burn times are for each maneuver.

Does that make sense? If not, I can try and explain it a different way.

Edited by Dman979

Don't take this the wrong way, but is a mission ever going to happen? Been following this thread for a month and over 600 posts waiting for a stream to watch or report of how the mission went, but nothing seems to be materializing aside from some mission patches. What gives?

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but is a mission ever going to happen? Been following this thread for a month and over 600 posts waiting for a stream to watch or report of how the mission went, but nothing seems to be materializing aside from some mission patches. What gives?

This is a very very very difficult thing to do, with schedules and all. As I said in the beginning, things will be very very slow because of it. We need people to dedicate as much time as possible and sadly thats a hard thing to come by. Noting real NASA missions take months if not years of planning for a single launch, especially back in the 60s, so in the realism aspect, its following it well. We even encounter scrubs, as does NASA. So things will be slow and we ask that the community bears with us, we tried for a small Gemini scale launch but as said before, port forwarding issues from the flight crew commander, SparkyFox caused us to scrub the launch. We hope to try again soon.

That's sort of my point, I'm starting to think that getting that many people available at the same time is not going to happen.

Please don't compare getting a few people together to play a video game to the challenges involved in actually running a real space program, they're not even remotely comparable and it trivializes the latter.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

That's sort of my point, I'm starting to think that getting that many people available at the same time is not going to happen.

Please don't compare getting a few people together to play a video game to the challenges involved in actually running a real space program, they're not even remotely comparable and it trivializes the latter.

It is possible, it's just a challenge. One we all have committed to doing.

We are aware of the challenges involved in a real space program, me especially. I never said it was easy, and neither is this. This may be just a bunch a guys around a game, but ultimately the goal is to simulate the feel, challenge and realism of doing a mission.

I agree with @ZooNamedGames.   NASA is going to take a while to have a mission ready, and we are trying to get as close as possible to reality.  It is likely going to take some time, but it can be done.

31 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

What are you all going to do after a lunar landing happens? Apollo Applications Program might be a good continuation.

Good idea.  We could do the Soyuz docking and make Skylab.

42 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

What are you all going to do after a lunar landing happens? Apollo Applications Program might be a good continuation.

It's been discussed, and personally I'm going to aim for this to open up into a far more realistic space program, which also starts from the beginning with it's own rockets and equipment. It will follow the same rules and basis- just with custom hardware.

However the alternative is to continue on from this and make a mix of the AAP, the shuttle program and routine unmanned satellite launches from such vehicles as the Atlas V, Delta and SpaceX.

Before we plan for shuttles and stations, shouldn't we try to just put something in space?

With so many people needed, I think we have too many roles for anything to get done. I think a few positions need to be eliminated.

I would suggest merging RSO with Booster, and taking the Retro and Control roles and putting them under FIDO. One person could act as Booster during launch until TMI, then switch over to FIDO for the landing and return, or swap with another person. I would also suggest spreading our missions over multiple sessions so the crew don't have to be online for two hours straight.

Most of all, I would suggest skipping the Gemini mission and only doing three flights: An Apollo 8-style mission to Munar Orbit, an Apollo 10-style test, and an Apollo 11 Munar landing.

7 hours ago, kmMango said:

Before we plan for shuttles and stations, shouldn't we try to just put something in space?

With so many people needed, I think we have too many roles for anything to get done. I think a few positions need to be eliminated.

I would suggest merging RSO with Booster, and taking the Retro and Control roles and putting them under FIDO. One person could act as Booster during launch until TMI, then switch over to FIDO for the landing and return, or swap with another person. I would also suggest spreading our missions over multiple sessions so the crew don't have to be online for two hours straight.

Most of all, I would suggest skipping the Gemini mission and only doing three flights: An Apollo 8-style mission to Munar Orbit, an Apollo 10-style test, and an Apollo 11 Munar landing.

Catch is most of these roles are fused together already with others, notice theres no TELMU, Network or GNC. 

Moreover its the sacrifice of absolute realism, its hard to manage. Lastly, if we could break things up over several hours (or days), then again, it wouldnt be REALISITC and we might as well timewarp. So its a catch.

As to skipping, a 4h Gemini is easier to gather the flight crew for than a 6+ day Apollo mission. Lastly it will give us the same practice from one of the same missions. We will perform an 8 and 10 mission, just not yet.

Just like NASA, if they could timewarp to the moon from a constant 3rd-person perspective, they would! But they can't becaus its reality . We are wanting to follow in their footsteps as much as possible, and fact is, Gemini gave NASA the experiance they needed to get to the moon, and ultimately it will do the same for us. 

Ok. I just have trouble seeing how we could swing the logistics of this. Will probably have to ask some people to work late into the night, as that is the only place we will have that kind of time.

I stand by my reduced flight crew idea. Those roles have overlapping areas of responsibility. Please consider it.

"We choose to go to the Mun, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.":D