Apollo Mission Recreation (And More!) [Requesting Ground Crew Aid!]

ZooNamedGames

Are you doing this as a recreation of a specific mission, or just a generic Apollo style mission?

Having done the same thing (but just by myself because everyone else was too sane) in Orbiter for an Apollo 11 anniversary, my advice is to grab a copy of an actual flight plan, and then pick out the milestones you are going to key on, then schedule your actual play time to get those milestones into optimal play times as best you can.

When I did mine, I used the boring downtime parts for things like running errands or doing other things. I ate during the meal periods and slept during the sleep periods. I also watched a lot of movies.

That's also not the craziest real-time adventure I've done. During one period of unemployment many years ago, I did a real-time around the world flight in a Cessna 108 in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I'd be interested in helping you out however you'd need if the play schedule is compatible with my work schedule.

U gonna timewarp the boring parts? Would reduce your participation requirements and increase your pool of participants. Seems to me that a real time mission would be best suited for a physical camp where local space themed activities could be planned before getting everyone back to a real physical mission control room.

This is going to be one a 1:1 timescale (no time warp). Is it harder and going to make for a smaller pool of participants? Yes. But if I'm going to do realistic, I want to do it all the way!

Just a question, though. Your requirements for all of the crew ( ground and flight one ) include "good internet speeds" . Given that most of the ground crew tasks just include Telemachus and a open channel for audio ( so we're talking at worse of 400 Kb/s ), maybe requiring good internet speeds is not that needed ;)

That said, have you considered to stream it? I'm pretty sure KSP TV would love something like this :D

Well it is a general requirement. Admitted, as FD I should have better Internet speeds. It's just a good thing to have.

If you can get KSPTV to help host and advertise- go for it!

- - - Updated - - -

I might be able to help in some capacity. Maybe you should do a quick 'dry run' mission ahead of time (like a Kerbury mission).

That is planned. I would like to do a few smaller missions to test how things work.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you doing this as a recreation of a specific mission, or just a generic Apollo style mission?

Having done the same thing (but just by myself because everyone else was too sane) in Orbiter for an Apollo 11 anniversary, my advice is to grab a copy of an actual flight plan, and then pick out the milestones you are going to key on, then schedule your actual play time to get those milestones into optimal play times as best you can.

When I did mine, I used the boring downtime parts for things like running errands or doing other things. I ate during the meal periods and slept during the sleep periods. I also watched a lot of movies.

That's also not the craziest real-time adventure I've done. During one period of unemployment many years ago, I did a real-time around the world flight in a Cessna 108 in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I'd be interested in helping you out however you'd need if the play schedule is compatible with my work schedule.

As it stands its just going to be like either an Apollo 18 (not the crappy movie), or Apollo 11A, a mission identical to Apollo 11... But not.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming it's over the break, command module pilot I could do, I can also do capcom, if nither I can take inco

Alright, can you commit to practicing in simulations? Constant operations and such?

- - - Updated - - -

This seems really cool!

I'd enjoy participating in some way, but I don't really know what role I could have, and my availabilities strongly depend on the date of the mission.

No date set yet. So feel free to take on any role. If you can't take on a big role, then maybe consider something smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

Woo!!! Activity! Never responded to so much in AGES.

No date set yet. So feel free to take on any role. If you can't take on a big role, then maybe consider something smaller.

Well, I think I'll go with either FAO or EECOM, can't really to decide which one to choose though.

I'll still consider LMP, if by any chance I happen to have 3 available days. Not that likely, but I'll do my best to keep informed about the role.

Thinking about it, wouldn't it be a good thing to have a backup crew in case the original crew dies is unavailable for some reason ?

Well, I think I'll go with either FAO or EECOM, can't really to decide which one to choose though.

I'll still consider LMP, if by any chance I happen to have 3 available days. Not that likely, but I'll do my best to keep informed about the role.

Thinking about it, wouldn't it be a good thing to have a backup crew in case the original crew dies is unavailable for some reason ?

EECOM is taken, but you can go for FAO, which is open.

As to backup crew. There is going to be one, but it will be selected from whatever extra mission crew who don't make the cut.

EECOM is taken, but you can go for FAO, which is open.

As to backup crew. There is going to be one, but it will be selected from whatever extra mission crew who don't make the cut.

FAO it is then.

Still keeping LMP as an option though... :wink:

May I suggest you to keep OP regularly updated with candidates/crew so that potential applicants can see which roles are taken ?

Edited by Gaarst

I would be interested in any role that doesn't hang around for the first five minuets and but nothing to much as I have to study and sleep,

- the_pazter

Best suggestion is to look at the roles and see what fits. Every role has periods of activity and rest. It depends out of your strength and weaknesses.

- - - Updated - - -

FAO it is then.

Still keeping LMP as an option though... :wink:

Let me know and I'll bump you up.

Hey Zoo, do you have tweakscale and tweakableEverything installed? If so, you can test out an Apollo 11 craft i build not so long ago wich has a functioning center engine cutoff at T- 30 seconds before staging.

http://www.ksp-players.com/en/logbook/MK3424/crafts/39

Btw, are there openings for roles?

I would love to be Booster and look after the Saturn V's performance.

Hey Zoo, do you have tweakscale and tweakableEverything installed? If so, you can test out an Apollo 11 craft i build not so long ago wich has a functioning center engine cutoff at T- 30 seconds before staging.

http://www.ksp-players.com/en/logbook/MK3424/crafts/39

Btw, are there openings for roles?

I would love to be Booster and look after the Saturn V's performance.

This is going to be a heavily modded project so submitted crafts which are stock are not needed, BUT that is a pretty awesome, especially the center engine cutoff part.

Most roles are open. So feel free to pick.

I designed the Saturn V to look as much like the real one with minimal mods.

But i have noticed that the 2nd stage engines are a bit overpowered and sepatrons aren't used (yet) i shall add them later.

That's the goal of making a replica.

Even going so far as testing different tank conditions and clipping fuel tanks to make the center stage burn 30 seconds less than the outer enginas and adding ballast to make shure it's not overkill to get into orbit.

Believe me: it took me an afternoon to get the tank configuration right for the launcher alone... the landers and the capsule... not so much.

That is dedication! Which we need in this mission. We can't have anyone half it. That's what leads to Apollo 13.

It's possible! We will have Kerbal Mechanics and Kerbal Launch Failure.

I have kerbal Launch Failure installed and set it up that in the event of a mishap, the capsule will be seperated automatically.

Wich is pretty accurate since in real life the capsule will seperate automatically.

Now wouldn't it be cool if we did end up with an Apollo 13-ish scenario.

Right now maybe, but if we take this seriously (as it is intended to, and as we are supposed to do if we apply) a failure wouldn't be "cool", considering we would have spend at least a few hours (a big few) planning this mission :P

I have kerbal Launch Failure installed and set it up that in the event of a mishap, the capsule will be seperated automatically.

Wich is pretty accurate since in real life the capsule will seperate automatically.

Exactly. Now I'd like to see someone make the Apollo guidance computer in kOS to add more challenge and depth.