Need some help. I'm new to KSP

I just started KSP about a week ago. I'm having trouble completing contracts. I've done just about all the basic ones except for 2500 speed and 100k away. I can reach 2500 speed and 100k away but I explode upon reentry. I never had this problem before with the other easier contracts. Does anyone have any tips on how to not explode? I only have the first tech trees unlocked so I have limited parts and controls for my rockets. Thanks to all that reply.

Synergy25,

Welcome to KSP!

First off, this question should really be in the gameplay questions and tutorials section.

In your case, the problem is that you're launching too steeply vertical, and so you're reentering too steeply vertical as a result.

This means the thinner atmosphere at high altitude doesn't have the time to slow you down before you smack into denser air at crazy- high speed and overheat like a meteor.

Try gently curving your flight path horizontal during launch.

Best,

-Slashy

You're most likely trying to launch straight up.. which means you're coming straight down as well, and smacking back into the rotating atmosphere at extreme speed. Suborbital flights can be pretty dangerous because it's possible to reenter crazy fast like that.

When launching, try to turn the rocket a bit as early as possible (turn it like 10-15 degrees down the 90 degree line, so you're shooting out at an angle over the sea). Also, keep in mind that unmanned craft don't always need to be recovered - depending on the mission.

Since you're new, also be aware that mods can really make or break this game. The stock game is pretty basic in terms of info and controls, which seems more user friendly at first.. but in my opinion you're better off using things like Mechjeb (an autopilot mod) as a beginner. It'll teach you a lot of what you need to know to fly a ship if you watch what it does. For a lot of things mods like that are just downright required, there's a reason NASA doesn't eyeball orbital maneuvers and instead lets the computer calculate things exactly. Extreme precision is required for many tasks.

Finally, keep in mind that the "world first" contracts are generally just completed in the course of playing the game. Grab other contracts as well and let the world firsts just complete as they will. The goal at first is generally getting to orbit, then either Mun (the game WANTS to send you there first normally), or Minmus (easier of the two, as it's far easier to land on).

Edited by Enorats

Yeah, to echo and expound on what others have said, generally try to aim your rocket in a gentle curve, say, 5 degrees as soon as you leave the pad, a 45 degree inclination at around 15km and approaching horizontal at around 35-40km. This will put your ship into orbit efficiently as long as you have enough delta-V to get there and not too much drag.

(If your ship is unstreamlined and you can't do very much about that, then you'll want to go more vertically for longer and level off later so you get through more atmosphere before building up speed.)

You might want to try playing with the throttle a bit too if you are using liquid engines, because going too fast too low will also slow you down a lot with drag. Try not to get any orange flames from drag friction until you're leveled off at the 35-40km level, where the air is thin enough that it won't matter very much.

Finally, to keep your ships controllable and pointed the right direction, it helps to put fins on the tail and to not make them too tall and skinny, or else they might flip around. Once you unlock gimballed engines, RCS thrusters or especially Vernors, you can start to make much more controllable and maneuverable rockets.

Edited by Coyote27

Basically everything these guys have suggested is wrong.

Don't listen to any of these non-Kerbal suggestions.

What you actually need to do is put MOAR BOOSTERS on.

What ever fly's straight up under power must also return straight down under power.

Increase the size of the rocket. Put MOAR stages in. Full throttle up. Controlled throttle on the way down. No chutes for a powered landing. Lots of reaction wheels FTW.

(I would make a demo video for you but I'm moving tomorrow and the gaming rig is already packed)

@duckling: Well, if the rocket falls apart and explodes the answer is not MOAR BOOSTERS. The answer is MOAR STRUTS, of course!

On a more seroius note:

Synergy, you got some good hints already.

Do you already know how to get into orbit? The trick is to aim for the 2500 m/s speed horizontally - Going straight up very fast will only make you fall to the ground harder. That's why you want to pitch your rocket sideways at the start, as the other's mentioned.

Let me just post two very instructive images for this from Randall Munroe:

"Space is not like this:

orbit_tall.png

Space is like this:

orbit_wide.png

"

While I agree with the suggestions here for the most part, I would disagree with the recommendation to get an autopilot mod. If, early on, you get used to mechjeb flying everything for you, then you've taken out an entire portion of the game (design/plan/fly reduced to design/plan/Mechjeb). While Mechjeb surely is useful, I would say to at least not until you can fly difficult missions "seat-of-your-pants" before considering something that plays the game for you.

While I agree with the suggestions here for the most part, I would disagree with the recommendation to get an autopilot mod. If, early on, you get used to mechjeb flying everything for you, then you've taken out an entire portion of the game (design/plan/fly reduced to design/plan/Mechjeb). While Mechjeb surely is useful, I would say to at least not until you can fly difficult missions "seat-of-your-pants" before considering something that plays the game for you.

Can't second this enough. Mechjeb is great for tasks that can be boring and monotonous once you've nailed them like flying to orbit, but used to early it can really hamper your learning curve. A friend of mine used it from the first day he played and then after one patch or another whilst waiting for it to be updated he basically couldn't play the game cause he didn't know how to do anything manually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.