Post EVERYTHING you know about the Mun Arch.

VincentMcConnell

You can fly through the arch.

This is not possible with a single collider.

This means that there are multiple colliders.

This could mean that it was a test object for the new model format.

Actually it looks like the arch is a U shaped object sitting on the Mun\'s surface, rather than a ring. Would that still require multiple colliders to have a safe pass-through area?

Actually it looks like the arch is a U shaped object sitting on the Mun\'s surface, rather than a ring. Would that still require multiple colliders to have a safe pass-through area?

I think so. Modelers are always talking about invalid collision meshes.

Unity3D, on which KSP is based, cannot (or couldn’t) handle concave collision meshes, as it checks for intersections between vertices, for example if you have a bowl shaped collision mesh, anything entering the bowl will intersect the vertices that make up the bowls rim.

With multiple collision meshes you can avoid concave sections, and check for intersections with each mesh in turn, we aren\'t seeing any significant slowdown when near these arches, so it\'s safe to assume that the code handling this is pretty fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I do know the approx coordinates of it, I\'ve been logging interesting coordinates as I find them. I\'ve got one arch (didn\'t know there was more than one!) and two munilyths targeted. But I\'m not sure if anyone really wants me to give them out as that would spoil a lot of the fun of finding them. ;D

I noticed a slight speed hitch when I was driving my rover through one of the arches (think it was the nearside one on the n crater rim).

It felt to me like the cart was crossing some kind of invisible barrier. Someone else give it try it & see if you get a similar hitch as the cart crosses the centreline.

Joe 8)

Um, I do have the coords, of at least one arch. It\'s insanely easy to find though. Orbit the mün at about 6000m at the equator and keep your eye on the ground. The arch will come by eventually. Yes, even at that height it\'s visible.

If you REALLY just want the coords without the hassle of setting up a low orbit, I\'ll stick them in a spoiler, cause I\'m sure others want to do it the hard way.

2.425N by 81.461E

I\'m spending a lot of my time on the weekends setting up polar orbits and scanning with the long range detector so it covers a 30km area on the ground and marking down any interesting blips. I\'ll be keeping my eye out for the other arch now though!

Thats a bummer that you didnt get the coords, at least you found an arch :\'(

Use the Munolith detector plugin to hunt them down. It\'s a lot more fun that way.

Arches are much easier to find than munoliths, because they can be seen from at least a 10000m orbit (and maybe higher).

There is one around the equator, one in the Northern hemisphere near a crater, and a third one that is apparently misplaced underground.

Okay, found the second arch just now. I jotted down the coords if anyone wants them. I also took REALLY accurate measurements of the inside and outside coordinates of the bases, but I\'m not sure how to convert that to meters. I\'ll check the rest of the forums and see if anyone has posted something on it.

Oh, I\'m attaching a picture I took as well, with the HUD turned off so there\'s no spoilers :D

Picture was taken with the camera plugin (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=14009.0) mounted on the BigTrak (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9404.0) behind MekJeb (for coordinates) (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=14066.0)

Geological composition:

(I\'m assumung the Mun to be an analogy of our own moon.)

The colour indicates an intermidiate igneous rock.

We can\'t really say if the moon is tectonically active (Which removes the possibility of metamorphic rocks on the surface) and there is not atmosphere which rules out sedimentary rocks, which backs up my theory.

Therefore we can safely assume that the arch is most likely a diorite or maybe even a gabbroic rock.

That\'s all I can think of at any rate, hopefully it helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.