Deep Diver Challenge: 1.0.5 Edition!

I did it!  Let me explain the story.  It's long, and we have some semi-helpful screenshots to assist us.

http://imgur.com/a/xV86k

So, I took off from the SPH on a drone plane.  I flew due south for several minutes, then decreased my speed, detached the drone plane, and pulled the chutes.  I landed flawlessly, unlike the plane.  I went down with a Turbojet engine, reaching a top speed of 25.4 m/s on my descent.  Eventually, I came to a rest at the bottom of the sea at a depth of 1174 meters.  I stayed there for a bit, then decided to go up.  I jettisoned the ore tanks and throttled up.  On the way up, I reached a top speed of around 40 m/s(Screenshot lost).  THEN(Yes, there's more!), I blasted off, reaching a height of 25k.  At the top, Lenly Kerman took an EVA to repack the chutes, but he only had time for two of them, before getting in.  He touched down with the 2 chutes, then boosted away, using the almost empty submarine as a boat.  There it is folks.

Key points:

• Depth:  1174m
  • Speed: 25.4 m/s on the way down, around 40 on the way up
  • Height: 25k (I don't know why Lenly did that.)

5 hours ago, Snowstorm said:

I did it!  Let me explain the story.  It's long, and we have some semi-helpful screenshots to assist us.

http://imgur.com/a/xV86k

So, I took off from the SPH on a drone plane.  I flew due south for several minutes, then decreased my speed, detached the drone plane, and pulled the chutes.  I landed flawlessly, unlike the plane.  I went down with a Turbojet engine, reaching a top speed of 25.4 m/s on my descent.  Eventually, I came to a rest at the bottom of the sea at a depth of 1174 meters.  I stayed there for a bit, then decided to go up.  I jettisoned the ore tanks and throttled up.  On the way up, I reached a top speed of around 40 m/s(Screenshot lost).  THEN(Yes, there's more!), I blasted off, reaching a height of 25k.  At the top, Lenly Kerman took an EVA to repack the chutes, but he only had time for two of them, before getting in.  He touched down with the 2 chutes, then boosted away, using the almost empty submarine as a boat.  There it is folks.

Key points:

• Depth:  1174m
  • Speed: 25.4 m/s on the way down, around 40 on the way up
  • Height: 25k (I don't know why Lenly did that.)

I love how you did this and the story ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I am attempting this but I will have do cross the ocean underwater to reach land. I am going on a heading of 90 degrees trying to keep at about 1 kilometer down below the surface of the ocean.

Edit

Something tells me I need a bigger Sub

Edited by HamnavoePer

• 8 months later...

Might be necro, but what the hey.

Ship name: The Pip. Voyage is described here

• Depth: -1387m on Kerbin
  • Descent speed: 1.0m/s
  • Mothership: yes
  • Touch bottom: yes
  • Planted a flag: !YES!

Score: (1387+1)*1.5*1.5 = 3118.5

Edited by seanth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.