Stand clear - Doors Closing (Said no one!)

Overland

Right so I got home from work happy to get into this new KSP update happy to start hauling passenger trains again..

they looked good.. while a 44 class isnt exactly a passenger locomotive... they were used as such before electrics and diesel multiple units..

she suited them well.. the lighting looked beautiful.. KSP as a whole runs slower but ive yet to tweak any graphics

iqkxDpU.jpg

The problem came on the operational side of things when I noticed a very strange lack of something.. see ive been using sam hall's passenger pods and cockpit since 0.20 atleast I think.. they're single occupant pods with a door on 1 side.. as seen on the locomotives nose..

something starting with D ending in R with 2 00's in the middle seemed to be .. missing

so this seemed odd.. suddenly kerbals unlike martians dont understand doors?...

Still the EVA button was there so I pressed it.. and off went flying a kerbal squeezing between the bogeys and the passenger pods, ripping the rear passenger car in half and causing a horrible explosion..

Mzz57wo.jpg

then I noticed this relocate passenger button..

curious in that the only realistic way to alight the train was infact to invade the crew sleeping quarters and pop out of the crew cab...

so.. I mean.. I use trains yeah.. but I can see this being rather annoying for even planes, ships.. rockets etc

its a beautiful passenger pod and they make great carriages.. but. the cassandra crossing it is not.. passengers arnt sealed into the carriages until the end when everything explodes horribly and only a few survive.. atleast not ment too?

im.. confused .. impressed.. but still confused.. not sure if im disapointed or entertained..

its not just me no?

The people who play this game never cease to amaze me. From working turbines to internal combustion engines to giant robots to huge trains... Just one question though, how are you not bored out of your mind riding one? I get bored if I have to fly around for more than 5 minutes before getting into space!

The people who play this game never cease to amaze me. From working turbines to internal combustion engines to giant robots to huge trains... Just one question though, how are you not bored out of your mind riding one? I get bored if I have to fly around for more than 5 minutes before getting into space!

We are railfans (people who do trains, or, in this case, Overland and me). Simply being on a train makes us happy. But I don't want to DE RAIL the topic!:sticktongue:

All very true spacetraindriver... For me its that and more :)

Kerbins a very beautiful place..deadly as much as it is too... For the typical pilot rushing over the green expanse below its a blur of green and trees if scatters enabled.. I certainly thought so too before I took 4408 out beyond the boundry of KSC over the mountains.. There I learnt the magic that pilots of spacecraft feel amazed at the detail in KSP ala squad also extends to kerbin itself..

Mountain ranges, snow capped wonders on the horizon..beautiful vistas and endless terrain where only the sound of 4408s EMD engines and lonely sounding leslie air horns where all that existed between my crew and certain death in isolation..

Terrain smooth one moment..gentle..tranquil.. Hypnotic can turn deadly..steep and so intimidating youll go around it at the cost of hours..

Seeing tiny features on the horizon become reality as they grow bigger and the moments when the light..trees..and everything on kerbin all blends together to create something so unexpectedly beautiful you stop to admire it

Kerbin has alot to offer indeed

Its all.. One complex detailed framework of a reality so much overlooked but so worthy of a visit by all

And thats without trains.. :)

Throw a custom heavily modded locomotive and tanker cars in the mix and its that plus so much more

Working Diesel electric transmission..modified hybrid rover wheels.. Working air horns.. RCS assisted sanders for traction.. And all of that operating in a careful balence between harmony and certain failure..

Hills becoming things of nightmares as the wheels start to slip and you can hear them spinning up from the cab.. Speed slowly bleeding off and engine generators approaching redline as they glow and threaten explosions shutting down the heart of the locomotive with no power

To stop means failure..to stall means possible roll overs.. Speed down to 5ms and rcs thrust pushing down on the wheels to stop that spinning wheel as the loco gains her feet and starts gaining ground..

Yep.. Thats a small glimpse of what ive experienced as a the driver of a 44 class land train in KSP..

None of its made up or sensationalised..

Every trips one hell of an experience :)

EDIT: See the loss of 4003 & Birth of 4004.. with the all too common journey to pay respects to the fallen..

one of the most emotional train-laden moments ive experienced in KSP

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115268-Elcano-Challenge-Attempted-circumnavigation-Overland-s-Thread-%28Multi-Class-Landliner-Trains%29?p=2139194&viewfull=1#post2139194

and.. pretty scenery LZvkO2w.jpg

So how can I not get bored?

How can you? :) become a train driver and learn the arts .. You need a steering wheel though or a good joypad :)

Um yeah...no doors...not nice... Blame spacetraindriver for derailing the thread ;)

Edited by Overland

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the lack of a hatch on this thing. It means to get Kerbals in and out in space you have to keep transferring them to your cockpit. It's a real pain. I don't know how you could forget something so important as the hatch.

Also, as I predicted, the hatch on the Mk1 cockpit is a one time exit on the ground. No room for a ladder, no way to mount a ladder, no way to get back in.

Edited by Alshain

I'm not quite the purist that Overland is: MechJeb Rover control for me. I set waypoints and it autoquicksaves. So far, I've circumnavigated Minmus, halfway around Duna, and 1/4 of the way around the Mun.

The fun part for me is designing something that will take the beating. The key is a frame of high-impact parts, some armor plating, and redundant parts.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the lack of a hatch on this thing. It means to get Kerbals in and out in space you have to keep transferring them to your cockpit. It's a real pain. I don't know how you could forget something so important as the hatch.

Also, as I predicted, the hatch on the Mk1 cockpit is a one time exit on the ground. No room for a ladder, no way to mount a ladder, no way to get back in.

The mark1 hatch might be ok with a ladder to jump too and climb but I agree wholeheartedly..its a step backwards.. Saddens me really

The mark1 hatch might be ok with a ladder to jump too and climb but I agree wholeheartedly..its a step backwards.. Saddens me really

Nope. We warned Squad when they first showed us images of the cockpit that the hatch needed to be just a bit higher for a ladder. We were correct, but we got completely ignored. There is no good way to put a ladder on that thing. Meaning once you disembark, you can't get back in (unless you like building ugly unaerodynamic craft)

ZE4KaZT.png

jbtmfgs.png

SYc6DlS.png

what about before 1.05 early career no ladder unlocked can't get back into your plane after landing ?

Before you get the ladder, you don't do missions where you would need to get out of the cockpit while landed. It was always that way. But with this cockpit, you don't ever do those missions. You just have to wait for the Mk2 Cockpit and fly a bigger plane.

In Kerbin's gravity, you can jump and grab the cockpit's hatch. Which only rules out Eve.

About the cabin, I think it's fine. Look at the size of that thing. You don't have room for a hatch.

not especially speaking of mission al' ,just ya know building a first plane, with not much of the tech tree unlocked, getting out gettin in, i usually do that even if no mission related too. And it's much better without having to do hundred of jump with collider tricks to get back in, imho with the very few first part available and no ladder unlocked much better now.

edit: playin' career mode doesn't mean you have to do only mission all the time, you can also take some break on mission and keep doing some other stuff in //

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

In Kerbin's gravity, you can jump and grab the cockpit's hatch. Which only rules out Eve.

It's difficult, even on Kerbin, especially if you park on a hill. It shouldn't be that annoying.

About the cabin, I think it's fine. Look at the size of that thing. You don't have room for a hatch.

It's not that small. The Mk2 crew cabin hatch would fit on it.

3PouM2a.png

Love this stock plane. Real easy to pilot.

Also speaking of ladder's in addition to the existing rotate and offset tools may be the thing that could be nice is a tweakable with extensibility %, might do the trick applied to both anim and ladder collider without impacting the functionality in itself. (i might be wrong about that but if i remind well how the ladder are done with the 3dtools shouldn't be a matter)

Maybe a 'tweak' to the coding is needed, so that when you click EVA you automatically emerge from the nearest unblocked hatch.

And when trying to re enter a full compartment the 'transfer crew' option automatically kicks in to allow you to select where your kerbs sits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.