no more SSTO?

I'm having trouble making SSTO spaceplanes now, they all burn up in the atmosphere, everything I learned about SSTO's before now has to be unlearned.
thanks, Squad.

...anybody got any pointers on how SSTOs are done now? Edited by Xyphos

I made an SSTO rocket for my new 1.0.5 career [s]yesterday[/s] today.

12 fuel tanks, no SRB's on this one, fuel to spare to deorbit.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/MZunPJv.png[/IMG] Edited by sal_vager

[quote name='WildBill']Not to be too picky, but to be a Single-Stage-To-Orbit (SSTO), don't you need a single stage?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is why I just popped of the boosters, added two more tanks and flew it up there now :)

100km x 80km

[quote name='Xyphos']that's great. you, like everyone else, failed to mention [B]HOW [/B]you did it[/QUOTE]

Slow climb. The one above takes a little coaxing to get up to speed, I take it up to ~6km aim the nose down a little and push it till I get to 600m/s. Then I pull back up, once it's at Mach 2, I can pull up all I want it just continues to climb and gain speed. This is because of the new intake mechanic, those pre-coolers work much better at mach 2+ but getting there is a bit harder.

Take a look at this thread.
[URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139019-1-05-Intakes-Lets-figure-them-out[/URL] Edited by Alshain

[quote name='Red Shirt']Check the [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139797-Spaceplane-Help"]Spaceplane Help[/URL] thread I started a few days ago. The help others offered got my plane in orbit easily.[/QUOTE]

finally, someone posts something worth increasing reputation for.
thanks and have some rep.

[quote name='Xyphos']that's great. you, like everyone else, failed to mention [B]HOW [/B]you did it[/QUOTE]

Knowing [I]that[/I] it is possible is half the journey, if not more. For a long time it was considered impossible to run the mile under one minute. But once Roger Bannister broke that time in 1954 everybody seemed to be able to make the mile under 4 minutes (well, that's an exageration but you get the point).

Besides with a snarky subject line that suggests that it's impossible to do so, you can expect snarky posts that show you just that -- that it [I]is[/I] possible.

Wouldn't that be all you need? "[I]Do not give up grasshopper, it can be done"
[/I]

Okay, here's how I SSTO spaceplane in 1.0.5.

I keep an angle of around 30 to 40 degrees, the jets can get you higher now before flaming out, you want to get high and fast and nose up before you activate the rockets, because they are thirsty you don't want to be on rocket power too long

I aim to be over 1000m/s at above 25km, [I]at least[/I], before I lose the jets.

I personally prefer turboramjets and aerospikes in combination btw, rather then rapiers.

Burn till you AP exits atmo then coast with your nose prograde, you lose the least speed that way, though I will actually have the throttle open a crack just to avoid losing altitude.

As far as design goes, start small and light, the goal should just be to make orbit and return in one stage, don't think about payload until you have that down.

Once you have the flight profile sorted, you can then work on making a plane with some payload, work your way up to larger craft, you won't loft a jumbo 64 on your first go.

Good luck.

Flying an SSTO is more about [i]how[/i] you flay than it is [I]what[/I] you fly. Sure there are somethings that will never make orbit no matter how efficiently you fly them, but other things, if flown correctly (and I use that word loosely here) can make it to orbit and back. Typically your speed run-up takes place a lot lower in the atmosphere (10km-ish vs 20km-ish) and your climb is much more gradual. As far as returning, you are going to need to take a much more Shuttle-like approach. Come in initially with a high AoA, and then as you descend perform S-turns to slow down.

[quote name='Xyphos']yall braggin and posting old pictures without proper advise isn't worth posting.
thanks for trying.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me??? Bragging???
With all due respect, I posted the best pic I could find that showed each part of mine clearly, not a phoenix shot that's all covered in flames.
I figured it would be easy enough to copy the design. I thought that would be helpful.

I would have also answered any questions about her.

But not now. You blew it.

This space plane can haul a full orange tank (36t) to a 120k orbit with fuel to spare. Here it is hauling hab modules and return vehicles to my new space station.

Launch profile:

Takeoff
Accelerate to 350m/s
Establish climb approx 20 degrees, should still be accelerating slowly
Go prograde to slow climb to near level at 10k alt
Accelerate to ~1000m/s
Establish positive climb ~10-20 degrees
Should be around 1400m/s at ~20k alt
Switch to rockets when jets are under ~1/2 thrust

It is important to accelerate quickly and then climb quickly to get out of the atmosphere before parts start overheating. Also a nice steep launch profile will reduce drag losses spent leaving the atmosphere. But launch angle is always a tradeoff between accelerating on efficient jets vs drag losses coasting through atmosphere.

Basically you need a high TWR and to accelerate and climb hard once you are in the "danger zone" (>1000m/s). If parts are blowing up, climb faster.

[imgur]CllU9[/imgur] Edited by g00bd0g

I would honestly recommend using OPT, since the air-augmented rockets make everything easier, but even without them, SSTOs with large wings and high vacuum thrust are still pretty functional. If you are really having trouble with overheating, as I was, I suggest attaching heat shields inline, or using radial attach nodes and the offset tool. It's odd bordering on comical, but it is fairly effective.

Here's one dragging a shuttle along...
[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/vixr/screenshot142_zpsmqc0wpdc.png[/IMG]
launched my shuttle...
[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/vixr/screenshot147_zpsf6pnvnqy.png[/IMG]
And brought it back...
[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/vixr/screenshot160_zpsfhl3zyni.png[/IMG]

[quote name='Tourist']All my SSTO spaceplanes that worked before 1.00, continued to work in 1.0X and still work now.[/QUOTE]

Fair cop. I suppose some people are just sick of "Squad broke my ships!!" posts. But you did ask for help and snark helps noone.

My method really hasn't changed much, except I find I need to build up speed at low altitudes first, before pitching up.... seems to take awhile to climb. So on takeoff, I point at the horizon until I reach 300 m/s then climb at about 30 degrees until the atmosphere needles moves to the edge of the first and second region. Then I pitch down to about 10 degrees to pick up speed. Switch to rockets (or closed cycle mode) at around 1400m/s then try to pitch up just a little, and very gently (too much an you can lose your wings, which makes landing.... a bit difficult).

I know this is a little unspecific, at in the thin air, I kind of just feel my way.