[Question] Land vehicles sinking into terrain in RSS+RO, design tips to palliate/diminish that?

hypervelocity

Hi guys!!! hope everyone is doing great!!!

I think everyone is well aware of the Krakhen swallowing your land vehicles in many celestial bodies like the Moon. I think it has something to do with the terrain meshes but I am certainly not an expert.

I know there currently isn't a fix/workaround the issue, that's why my question today is pointing to any design tips/tricks you might have in order to palliate or diminish the effects of this bug. I tried making wider and heavier vehicles but doesn't seem to affect the issue very much :(

Let me know if you think of something that might help :D:D:D

[quote name='dboi88']This. Why they'd allow settings to be changed to a game breaking level is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

I've never had the game break on low terrain detail in a stock game, granted the hills west of KSC end up looking like 0.15.2 on low, but I've never had it break the game in stock. One must always remember that the game wasn't really made for a true-scale system.

thanks guys!!!!

@MaxL_1023: my Lunar cargo truck starts to fall through the ground for a few hundred meters until it explodes, so no chance of going back to space center and then back to the vehicle :(
@hab136: I have everything set to High :( :(

Providing a bit more detail: this only happens to *moving* land vehicles. All stationary objects I have landed anywhere did stay put in their places; the problem arises when I start moving. The chances of sinking through the ground also increase with surface velocity, if moving fast then not a long time goes by before I go through the ground.

This is a major issue for my carreer space program, for which I had designed several Moon modules that would comprise my Lunar base and that were to be picked up by my Lunar Truck from their landing sites (2 to 10km apart) and brought back together to the intended base's location in the Lunar seas :( Edited by pvnkb1tch

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I can think of is to widen the wheel base, maybe have two wheels in front of each other at each corner. I'd recommend infernal robotics so you can make wider vehicles without needing a hilariously large faring. (Assuming IR doesn't completely break everything)

As for the terrain errors themselves, it's due to inaccuracies being amplified when the bodies are scaled up. From what I've heard, it's not avoidable ATM.

Also, a lunar base in RP-0? That's pretty amazing.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.