Remembering where to land

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is a small probe after your polar orbit scan.  You need better data than that anyways. So I send a small probe to find my ideal mining target.  Making sure concentration is high enough and terrain level enough.  Than target it.

My orbital scanners are built with the probe so it's a complete kit in locating my mining location.  I also use this method as it seems the most realistic.  One would think you would need more than an orbital survey to pick a good mining location.  Plus I'm all vanilla.

I often also use "Prospector Probes" for this purpose. Small, efficient probes with about 3-4x the dV needed to land on the surface of the target planet. I either bring 1-2 with me when scanning, or send them in a separate mission.

I find where I want to land, send the Prospector Probe down, and then use it to hop around the area and find a nice flat spot for the base, ISRU unit, or whatever.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.