Hyperthin Atmosphere for Vall, Eeloo

I was aerobraking over Duna the other day and started to wish a few other planets had really thin atmospheres. Pluto has a thin atmosphere, as do a number of moons. Whether it was tall and thin or even shallow hanging smokey in valleys I just imagined how fun white-knuckle aerobrakes dodging mountains 1000m off the deck would be.

[IMG]http://i.space.com/images/i/000/048/730/i02/atmosphere_size.jpg?1436388993[/IMG]

Duna doesn't have a really thin atmosphere, at least by Solar System standards. Duna has about ten times the atmospheric pressure of Mars, at 6.755 kPa, compared to Mars' .636 kPa (kilopascal). Pluto has an atmosphere of a single pascal, at max pressure! Even if you had Vall or Eeloo have a 10+ pascal atmosphere, the effect would probably be negligible. Of course, this is KSP, where planets can be denser than the densest elements and s solar system that is10th the size of real solar systems, so anything is possible I suppose.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm saying. Even Duna feels plenty thick. Gameplay wise it could be fun to see a few bodies with atmospheres on the lower end. You wouldn't be able to capture at Eeloo, but depending on your approach you could use it to slow down around Vall. Especially with those high ridges there could be some really crazy passes if you were brave.

Except Eeloo is a poor Pluto analog. It's really [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_%28moon%29"]Europa[/URL]. Vall makes a terrible Europa analog. (though Europa also has an atmosphere) Edited by Alshain

I actually want a Saturn and a bigger kerbin in orbit around it. Because there is a smaller kerbin(laythe) and there hast to be a bigger kerbin. I want an eve sized planet but with jets running and atmo psi is 1.1. And some other stuff. And I'd like a planet where I can make ion planes. I really don't want any changes to the existing ones. I want new ones.

As far as I know, KSP's atmosphere renderer only works properly for bodies larger than Duna. Eeloo was originally planned to have an atmosphere, but that limitation didn't make it possible.

[quote name='Aperture Science']As far as I know, KSP's atmosphere renderer only works properly for bodies larger than Duna. Eeloo was originally planned to have an atmosphere, but that limitation didn't make it possible.[/QUOTE]

That may or may not be the case in post soup-o-sphere KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.