Upsilon's Bad Ideas!

One does not simply fly without wing surfaces. At least you have wings for yaw authority :P 

It looks like a person flying in a superman position.... kind of..... may'be not.... bad idea.....

Any how using only SAS to pitch up makes this plane have to plan its turns and manuevers way in advance. Such technology does not exist in the land of Kerbals. :) 

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

• 2 weeks later...

Presenting the newest in Bad Ideas: a plane made out of an air intake!

It's cute, it's small, and it flies pretty decently (though it's not spectacular).

...as always, more coming soon. Sorry for the delay. Bad ideas are burbling up in my mind as I type... I must go and try them now! :)

-Upsilon

...here's another Bad Idea, right on cue! (I really need to post here more consistently.)

Y'know how Mary Poppins flies around with an umbrella? Well, doing the same thing in KSP is actually really hard! Even with twenty-four airbrakes, the thing was still falling at about 20 m/s. I eventually had to add some fuel, an engine, and landing gear to the "bird head" at the end of the umbrella, which did the trick... mostly. Landings are still a little dicey.

I will say with absolute certainty that unlike some of the other designs I've made, this is definitely a bad idea. You can play with it if you want, but don't put any important Kerbals onto your prototypes unless you're okay with reverting flights a dozen times or so. :rolleyes:

~~~

Video!

...thanks for stopping by! Have a nice day.

-Upsilon

On 12/17/2015 at 2:21 PM, UpsilonAerospace said:

I know Hanukkah is over, but have this Bad Idea anyway!

With everyone gearing up for a KSP Christmas, I wanted to try something a little... different. So I made the most absurd Hanukkah-inspired plane possible!

So the plane is shaped like a Star of David, complete with the traditional blue color (like on Israel's flag). It has a menorah-like back end, with a single shamash (the 'helper candle,' in this case the Wheesley) at the rear and eight other candles (the Juno engines) at the same level. This means that this plane would be considered a kosher menorah if jet engines count as candles. I don't know if they do though.

This plane doesn't fly very well at all, but the very fact that it can fly makes it a better design than I had anticipated...

Here's an image for you:

UWxhwGG.png

...is the image coming through for you guys? It just says I've taken a wrong turn. Hopefully this will resolve itself soon. [Edit: Nope, not resolved yet. Here's a direct link: http://i.imgur.com/UWxhwGG.png]

Anyways, more Absurd Ideas coming soon.

-Upsilon

you need to get this into space...for reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

On 1/18/2016 at 4:07 PM, exbyde said:

you need to get this into space...for reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

That is glorious. I may make a Jewish Launch Vehicle (JLV) in the future, though I'm afraid I currently don't have much time for KSP.

Well, I suppose I'll present the newest Bad Idea: a vehicle that was designed primarily to look cool.

~~~

This little "VTOLmobile," as I call it, is not without its problems. isn't a very good rover (it's flip-happy at speeds of over 15 m/s and doesn't like bumps). It isn't a good VTOL (it has less than a minute's worth of fuel). It's not good at shooting missiles (I lined up the shot in this video and still missed at point-blank range). But it looks neat, it's a fun craft to use, and its uniqueness makes up for at least some of its flaws.

Also, the moral of this story is: if people are late sleepers, it's totally okay and not-at-all bad to shoot them at point-blank range with missiles. Now you know!

-Upsilon

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, enough of ideas that are interesting but not really "bad." It is time, ladies and gents, for a genuinely awful idea.

The other day, I was trying to make a helicopter that was powered by jet engines on the wingtips. Even though the idea worked, it lacked in the awe-inspiring amount of raw power that I wanted.

So... well... this. Yeah.rzIyQDb.png

The thing got up to about 150m in altitude before spinning down for a landing. Believe it or not, there was actually very little damage to the craft through its flight! (It did break the launchpad on one or two occasions though.)

Craft like these, ladies and gents, make me smile. Nay, they make me grin. Maniacally.

-Upsilon

On 2015年11月30日 at 2:22 AM, UpsilonAerospace said:

Idea #1
Premise: Y'know, I've been having too much fun with the tiny 0.625m jet engines. Why don't I create the smallest plane possible using the largest engine possible? Instead of putting the engine at the back of the plane (or even at the front), I'll build the plane around a Goliath engine. It'll be fun, and stuff! After some careful deliberation, I randomly slapped parts together in the hope that the result would be marginally successful. The result?

The BTF-1!
[big turbo-fan 1]

You need to compensate for the occupational deafness of the kerbals :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2016 at 7:11 AM, UpsilonAerospace said:

After much careful deliberation on what to do next with the big turbofans, I slapped two of them onto the front of a slightly larger craft. After a few seconds debating where to put the wings, I eventually decided that I didn't need any: the thing would have enough musclepower to get into the air just fine without 'em. All it needed were parachutes for the landing.

The result is surprisingly good-looking, not very flight-worthy, and most definitely a bad idea.

Here, have a picture!

TqCGUYZ.png

...and, if you still doubt the validity of this design (Oh, ye of little faith!), here's a video as well.

As always, yet more insane ideas are coming soon... so stay tuned!

-Upsilon

Ummm....

I want to first off say, I AM SO GLAD TO FIND ANOTHER NON-SANE PLANE MAKER!

*ahem* second off, Where can buy one?

Obsidian, out

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.