Mission Proposals (to be proven in RSS and then brought to NASA)

KAL 9000

Deorbit Jupiter. Better bring it much closer to the Sun, too cold there right now, right now you need to bring your towel :D.

Actually, submarine drill things for Europa and Ganymede. Possibly also Callisto or Enceladus, or Triton. Definitely a Titan lander. Lots of balloons for Venus. Submarines for Titan and Earth. The oceans on both have been barely explored.

First Priority: Earth, Venus, Mars

Second Priority: Titan, Enceladus, Europa

Third Priority: Ganymede, Callisto, Triton

Fourth Priority:

Moon Telescope: A collection of ISRU robots go to the Moon, to get minerals and build an exoplanet telescope out of them. The Moon doesn't have an atmosphere so it is easy to see the stars and fluctuations. Also the gravity is lower so structural integrity isn't as much of a problem. There is also essentially no light pollution. You can build a better ground-based telescope there than on Earth. It will be able to see the spectrum on exoplanets and get their atmosphere information. Maybe it will be able to see them as actual circles rather than bright dots. This is better than building a bigger Kepler or Hubble because you needed to launch Kepler and Hubble, which gave them a size limit. A ground-based telescope has basically no size limit, while you can only launch some amount of mass into space for a space-based telescope.

About Venus, I am classifying it as a first priority for missions because: it is the closest planet to Earth, there is life on Earth that can survive only on what can be found in the upper atmosphere of Venus, stuff from one planet ends up on the other every time a large impact happens, and at 55 kilometers up the conditions are so Earthlike (30 degrees Celsius and 0.55 atm) you could probably have a potted plant survive for a couple days if it had protection from the sulphuric acid.  In fact, I'd be surprised if there wasn't already life in the clouds. If there was, IMO it wouldn't really be a big scientific discovery because it would very, very likely share a common origin with Earth life and would then say nothing about how prevalent life is in the rest of the universe. We already know life can tolerate the environment (hot springs-like, high-CO2), and we've extrapolated that life can get to those environments (panspermia) not dead (Surveyor 3 situation on impact ejecta instead of Surveyor 3).

Edited by Findthepin1
specifically 30 celsius and 0.55 atm

VIDESLP (Venus In-Depth Exploration and Search for Life Program):

A comprehensive study of Venus and a search for life, in multiple missions.

Mission 1: Archimedes Orbiter, or VIDESLP-Orb.01:

Launch Vehicle: Falcon 9, with extra upper stage (Maybe a Star-class booster?)

Archimedes will be solar-powered (2 medium-size panels) and probably have an MGS-sized bus. Its science equipment will be:

VMLRR - Venus-Mapping Long-Range Radar (Hopefully will get better resolution than Magellan)

1 visible-wavelength camera, 1 infrared camera, and 1 ultraviolet camera

2 spectrometers

1 magnetometer

Its job is to perform high-definition mapping of Venus, and find good landing sites for future VIDESLP probes. It can also act as a communications relay for future Venus landers.

Launch date: Early 2030s (hopefully)

1 hour ago, fredinno said:

No, the Sedna mission (if you meant WISPIE search)

Edited by KAL 9000

Mission 2: Aphrodite lander, or VIDESLP-Land.01:

Launch Vehicle: Atlas V (not as much boosters (did I just say that???) as NH or MSL)

Aphrodite will have solar panels for the cruise that will detach shortly before atmospheric entry. From there on out, it will rely on RTGs (not much sunlight makes it through Venus' cloud cover). The landing sequence timeline is:

(After reentry heating subsides) Reentry heatshield detaches

25 km up: Pilot chute deploys; drogue chute cover released

24.5 km up (going at ~500 m/s): Drogue chute deploys

10 km up: Impactors released; drogue chute cuts

9 km up: Main chutes (Apollo-style cluster of 3) deploy; SAS activates and keeps Aphrodite upright

3 km up: Landing legs deploy

1 km up: Main chutes cut

900 m up: Landing chute deploys

10 m up: Aphrodite is traveling at 0.5 m/s

0 m up: Touchdown at 0.3 m/s

T + 1 second after landing: Landing chute cut

T + 1 minute after landing: Aphrodite deploys its high-gain antenna and tells Earth that it's OK.

T + 20 minutes after landing: Science operations begin

37 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

No, the Sedna mission (if you meant WISPIE search)

Sedna Missions are not realistic.

20 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Mission 2: Aphrodite lander, or VIDESLP-Land.01:

Launch Vehicle: Atlas V (not as much boosters (did I just say that???) as NH or MSL)

Aphrodite will have solar panels for the cruise that will detach shortly before atmospheric entry. From there on out, it will rely on RTGs (not much sunlight makes it through Venus' cloud cover). The landing sequence timeline is:

(After reentry heating subsides) Reentry heatshield detaches

25 km up: Pilot chute deploys; drogue chute cover released

24.5 km up (going at ~500 m/s): Drogue chute deploys

10 km up: Impactors released; drogue chute cuts

9 km up: Main chutes (Apollo-style cluster of 3) deploy; SAS activates and keeps Aphrodite upright

3 km up: Landing legs deploy

1 km up: Main chutes cut

900 m up: Landing chute deploys

10 m up: Aphrodite is traveling at 0.5 m/s

0 m up: Touchdown at 0.3 m/s

T + 1 second after landing: Landing chute cut

T + 1 minute after landing: Aphrodite deploys its high-gain antenna and tells Earth that it's OK.

T + 20 minutes after landing: Science operations begin

RTGs don't work on Venus' surface either due to the insane temperatures. Solar power can work-barely.

I don't like to defecate on parties, but KSP even with RSS cannot simulate axil tilt. How big of an issue that is for mission simulations is beyond me. But I'm guessing it's significant.

Guess concepts would be okay. But in terms of execution not so much.

Edited by Motokid600

I have a idea! (But I don't have the full version of KSP, so one of you guys will have to do it :P) Here's the idea:

Enceladus lander:)

Launch vehicle: Falcon heavy, or Vulcan Heavy.

Launch date: whenever Saturn gets close to Earth. So... Mid 2020s maybe?

Probe mass: 10 tons

Lander mass: 3 tons

Total mass 13 tons (Duh)

Power source: RTGs

Time to Saturn: 4-7 years (I dunno, these are random numbers from older missions)

Scientific payload mass for probe: 1/2 ton

For lander: 1/6 ton

Mission duration: 11 years

The mission purpose:

"To study Saturns moons in great detail (Especially Titan) as well as studying Enceladus for it's potential of hosting life"

Edited by Spaceception

50 minutes ago, hugix said:

Orbiter 2010 is a better choice. It also calculates axial tilt and does N body physics. 

But it's not really a simulator as much as a platform to put a probe from code, running exactly like you want it. It's not really a good choice.

Also, I think we need a poll.

12 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I have a idea! (But I don't have the full version of KSP, so one of you guys will have to do it :P) Here's the idea:

Enceladus sub:)

Launch vehicle: Falcon heavy, or Vulcan Heavy.

Launch date: whenever Saturn gets close to Earth. So... Mid 2020s maybe?

Probe mass: 10 tons

Lander mass: 3 tons

Total mass 13 tons (Duh)

Power source: RTGs

Time to Saturn: 4-7 years (I dunno, these are random numbers from older missions)

Scientific payload mass for probe: 1/2 ton

For lander: 1/6 ton

Mission duration: 11 years

The mission purpose:

"To study Saturns moons in great detail (Especially Titan) as well as studying Enceladus for it's potential of hosting life"

Direct Injection, or Multi-Flyby?

6 minutes ago, fredinno said:
6 minutes ago, fredinno said:

But it's not really a simulator as much as a platform to put a probe from code, running exactly like you want it. It's not really a good choice.

Also, I think we need a poll.

Direct Injection, or Multi-Flyby?

Whichever works best.

RSS is much less of a simulator since it doesnt acount for a lot of problems you encounter in real life. Even RSS is based on the "lego" aproach of KSP. When you're goimg all Bob Fitch on your parts and research you might as well take the extra bit of trouble to code it into Orbiter. 

16 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Thanks for mentioning WISPIE, it's kind of in stasis right now.

You're welcome! I think it's a great idea!

17 hours ago, fredinno said:

Sedna Missions are not realistic.

RTGs don't work on Venus' surface either due to the insane temperatures. Solar power can work-barely.

Oh, really? What power source would you recommend?

2 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

You're welcome! I think it's a great idea!

Oh, really? What power source would you recommend?

Solar Power. Probably put a second trailer behind the rover, dedicated for producing power. I'm pretty sure it's about 90% less light than normal on Venus' surface.

Solar Power. Probably put a second trailer behind the rover, dedicated for producing power. I'm pretty sure it's about 90% less light than normal on Venus' surface.

It's not a rover, it's a lander, like the Venera probes.

31 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Can we have a poll?

Poll for what?

58 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

It's not a rover, it's a lander, like the Venera probes.

Poll for what?

It can still be applied for a lander, just make it larger with more solar panels- actually landers are even easier, as they have moving parts (and thus easier to cool).

Polls are needed to see which one OP should test first.

• 2 weeks later...

How about Zubrin's Athena (Ares sister) mission? ( Zubrin's paper ) The basic idea is to do an 'extended flyby' where the first Mars encounter puts the craft into an orbit that 'shadows' Mars for about a year. During this time the crew will have low lag to Mars and be able to efficiently tele-operate resources on Mars surface, greatly accelerating the pace and improving the quality of data gathering. A second Mars encounter sends the craft back to earth. One would pre position science gathering resources and then the crew has a 2.5 year mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.