So I found this bug...

PLEASE NOTE: I DID THIS IN MY 0.23 SAVE, MAY NOT WORK IN NEW VERSIONS!!!

I did not have time to try it in my current version save, but as I was playing around in my 0.23 save today I found this bug: Decouplers attached to a cubic octagonal strut=UNLIMITED THRUST!!! (The arrows need to point downwards)

So, I attached one of the small decouplers on a strut at the bottom of the small lander can:

V3Rz9kG.png

After around 20 minutes game time, I already achieved Kerbol escape (that white thing is another star orbiting the sun far out, added by the planet factory mod):

aJrPksr.png

So I then tried 4 decouplers (each has a decoupler force of 15):

79Y7jon.png

Much faster! But what if I use the large decouplers, which have a decoupler force of 250?

This:

3CsrTlB.png

u0mTc7w.png

Ludicrous speed, and off the scale acceleration:

wIvyTwl.png

I aimed for the Mun, got there in around 4 minutes, crashed into it at 50 km/s. I wonder if someone can harness this as an actual form of unlimited propulsion, but the problem is you can't turn it off.:D  But, if you fire a decoupler in the other direction, it will cancel out the other's acceleration...

Edited by A35K

Just now, Gaarst said:

This is called a Kraken Drive.

I personally didn't know that one, but if it is as simple as a decoupler and an octag, I guess people have already found it, and it is most likely fixed.

I did actually search for this, but I didn't find anything.

It's not the kraken drive, it's basic Newtonian phyiscs. The octagonal strut is the lightest part in the game and this if you apply a considerable force to it you'll cause it to accelerate to very high speeds, this is not a big but a law of physics, this will work with the new updates (but in 1.0+ it would end up burning in the atmosphere instantly).

1 hour ago, EladDv said:

It's not the kraken drive, it's basic Newtonian phyiscs. The octagonal strut is the lightest part in the game and this if you apply a considerable force to it you'll cause it to accelerate to very high speeds, this is not a big but a law of physics, this will work with the new updates (but in 1.0+ it would end up burning in the atmosphere instantly).

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, otherwise real space programs wouldn't need any engines! It's not just one huge burst of acceleration, it keeps a constant acceleration, as if the decoupler was an engine.

2 hours ago, A35K said:

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, otherwise real space programs wouldn't need any engines! It's not just one huge burst of acceleration, it keeps a constant acceleration, as if the decoupler was an engine.

Wait a second, CONSTANT acceleration? OK I'll test it when I get home.

If you can please provide more information like logs,save files, craft files and steps for reproduction, also do you run any mods? System data and more, and please could you report it on the bug tracker at bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com it's be swell

Edited by EladDv

3 minutes ago, EladDv said:

If you can please provide more information like logs,save files, craft files and steps for reproduction, also do you run any mods? System data and more. (I'll ask a mod to transfer it to the bug section) and please could you report it on the bug tracker at bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com it's be swell

13 hours ago, A35K said:

I'm not sure bug reports for 0.23 are still read by the devs :wink:

2 hours ago, EladDv said:

If you can please provide more information like logs,save files, craft files and steps for reproduction, also do you run any mods? System data and more, and please could you report it on the bug tracker at bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com it's be swell

Well, it's not hard to reproduce (if it even works in the new versions), you just need a capsule with a cubic strut at the bottom, and attach a decoupler with the arrow facing downwards, as in the image. I don't have any mods that change the physics or this part, so I don't see how it could be a mod (could Kerbal Joint Reinforcement have something to do with it? Don't think so...).

Please do not report bugs from versions prior to 1.0.5. Sure it's funny, but unless it's still present in 1.0.5 then it's already been addressed by the devs and bringing it up again is only going to waste their time and delay the next patch. Emphasis on DELAY THE NEXT PATCH ;P

21 hours ago, A35K said:

While it's great that you took the time to report a bug and all I am 300% positive the devs will not put work into fixing a .23 bug since we're...you know...in version 1.0.5 now....

8 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

While it's great that you took the time to report a bug and all I am 300% positive the devs will not put work into fixing a .23 bug since we're...you know...in version 1.0.5 now....

He's just showing off something cool he found, not expecting this to be fixed (it already is). ;)

Unable to reproduce in a stock install of 0.23.0 or 0.23.5, please remove your addons and retest in a new save.

If the problem recurs build a time machine and file a bug on the tracker on the 17th December 2013 or the 1st of April 2014 depending on version, this is to ensure continuity so the bug stays fixed in later builds.

Retroactively moving to Modded support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.