Is this alternate solar system possible?

ChrisSpace

On 12/5/2015 at 8:45 PM, Spaceception said:

You should ask a modmaker who has experience making star packs to make it into a mod, and what did you mean by "Alternate history project" anyway? And instead of "Pandora" How about "Jakku" in honor of "The force awakens" :)

I kind sorta maybe did that in my own mod:P. It's a desert moon called Yarku that is, well, based off of Jakku!

On 12/5/2015 at 10:05 AM, Kuzzter said:

All things are possible when you throw n-body physics out the window :) Hoping someone builds this in Kopernicus, would be a fun system to play around in.

On 3/14/2016 at 9:56 PM, ChrisSpace said:

Once the SpaceEngine thing is all finished, we might start on Kopernicus.

I can help you guys out with it once I get the chance.

Andos: (0.3x Luna OTL Mass)

A dwatf planet believed to be a remnant from a collision early in the solar system. The planet is 43% Silicates, 34% Iron, 4% Other, 19% Water and an incredible 0.014% Radioactives. The high concentration of radioactive elements such as uranium means that Andos could provide the recources for an Orion pr Medusa like vessel for deep space exploration. The high concentrations of dangerous radioactive elements have earned Andos the nickname of Curie's Nightmare. This abnormally high ratio of radioactives to other substances have lead to speculation that it was a captured body.

[0.1 G] (CAPTURED)DWARF PLANET (17°) {0.9 AU- 6.7 AU}

Edited by Andem
Toned the crazy back a little! Oh, and I threw some Iron in there too.

3 hours ago, Andem said:

A dwatf planet believed to be a remnant from a collision early in the solar system. The planet is 89% Silicates, 15% Iron, 1% Other, and an astounding 5% Radioactives. The high concentration of radioactive elements such as uranium means that Andos could provide the recources for an Orion pr Medusa like vessel for deep space exploration. The high concentrations of dangerous radioactive elements have earned Andos the nickname of Curie's Nightmare.

[0.1 G] DWARF PLANET (17°) {0.9 AU- 6.7 AU}

No, this is impossible- there would have to be more ice due to collisions with other objects, some gas regain following the collission, and the act that solar wind interacts with oxides to make volatiles. For comparision, Pluto is 70 percent rocks and 30 percent ice. 

Look here:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SolarSystemAbundances.png#mw-jump-to-license

The nibiru system has a similar composition to the Sun,due to being binary. The most common radioactive element, Thorium, is 10^-1.5 x common (0.03x), in comparision to Iron, at 10^6 x common (1,000,000). It's simply not enough to form significant amounts of a plantet's composition. I can see it having abnormal amount of radioactive minerals,but even that would be tiny compared to what you are proposing, and raises the question of how it got there in the first place. Is this a captured rouge dwarf planet?

5 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I kind sorta maybe did that in my own mod:P. It's a desert moon called Yarku that is, well, based off of Jakku!

I can help you guys out with it once I get the chance.

Cool, I'll (or Chris) will contact you when we're ready to start cutting metal on the mod.

What about the L4 rock? Førstsmil will have to be modified to work properly in the mod. It's too small right now and wouldn't have a proper SOI ingame. We must make it bigger. 

Edited by Findthepin1

11 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

What about the L4 rock? Førstsmil will have to be modified to work properly in the mod. It's too small right now and wouldn't have a proper SOI ingame. We must make it bigger. 

Doesn't matter, planetary objects in KSP are on-rails. And yes, it would be difficult to get an SOI intercept- but that's something IRL mission planners need to deal with (not to mention players wanting to land on Gilly), so I don't see a problem with that. I never saw the point of having that thing in the first place, but ok.

BTW, you need to make your own planet too soon. (hopefully a dwarf planet or moon) I really don't want to make Førstsmil your object.

22 hours ago, Andem said:

A dwatf planet believed to be a remnant from a collision early in the solar system. The planet is 62% Silicates, 15% Iron, 4% Other, 17% Water and an astounding 2% Radioactives. The high concentration of radioactive elements such as uranium means that Andos could provide the recources for an Orion pr Medusa like vessel for deep space exploration. The high concentrations of dangerous radioactive elements have earned Andos the nickname of Curie's Nightmare. This abnormally high ratio of radioactives to other substances have lead to speculation that it was a captured body.

7 hours ago, Andem said:

Edits made. Lots of water, less radioactives, got captured early in Nibriu's history, pushed out of it's original ornit during the systems formation.

How much water in percentage and radioactives in percentage?

And I would anticipate a asteroid/dwarf planet with such high amounts of heavy radioactive to be high in iron and metals also- things the size of 0.3x Luna differentiate.

I'm thinking of moving the traits of Spaception's planet to Andem's planet, if you don't mind, @Spaceception. That just means we'll have to come up with a new object. Hopefully a Dwarf planet or moon of sorts. Thanks.

Edited by fredinno

39 minutes ago, fredinno said:

Doesn't matter, planetary objects in KSP are on-rails. And yes, it would be difficult to get an SOI intercept- but that's something IRL mission planners need to deal with (not to mention players wanting to land on Gilly), so I don't see a problem with that. I never saw the point of having that thing in the first place, but ok.

BTW, you need to make your own planet too soon. (hopefully a dwarf planet or moon) I really don't want to make Førstsmil your object.

How much water in percentage and radioactives in percentage?

And I would anticipate a asteroid/dwarf planet with such high amounts of heavy radioactive to be high in iron and metals also- things the size of 0.3x Luna differentiate.

I'm thinking of moving the traits of Spaception's planet to Andem's planet, if you don't mind, @Spaceception. That just means we'll have to come up with a new object. Hopefully a Dwarf planet or moon of sorts. Thanks.

Doesn't it say?

All right, I'll bump it.

I don't want to assume, but I think @Spaceception and I would like our planets to remain seperate bodies. Correct me if I'm wrong, @Spaceception.

21 minutes ago, Andem said:

Doesn't it say?

All right, I'll bump it.

I don't want to assume, but I think @Spaceception and I would like our planets to remain seperate bodies. Correct me if I'm wrong, @Spaceception.

No, you need to put out new percentages, since you changed the composition.

Yes, we should have different bodies for Spaception and you. That's why I was thinking of moving the iron planet ideas to you, and making something else for Spaception.

Just now, fredinno said:

Yes, we should have different bodies for Spaception and you. That's why I was thinking of moving the iron planet ideas to you, and making something else for Spaception.

That's alright, whatever Andem is fine with :)

1 hour ago, fredinno said:

I don't understand, I made sure to modify the percentages as I altered the compositions.

So Andos is becoming what Spaceception thinks up, and we're designing a new planet/moon altogether?

46 minutes ago, Andem said:

I don't understand, I made sure to modify the percentages as I altered the compositions.

So Andos is becoming what Spaceception thinks up, and we're designing a new planet/moon altogether?

No, Andos is becoming what Spaception's planet WAS- an iron planet with frozen iron carbonyl oceans, scaled down to 0.3 moons (plus maybe a moon :3 ?)

Spaception's planet is becoming new altogether.

52 minutes ago, Andem said:

On 3/22/2016 at 6:47 PM, Andem said:

A dwatf planet believed to be a remnant from a collision early in the solar system. The planet is 43% Silicates, 34% Iron, 4% Other, 17% Water and an astounding 2% Radioactives. The high concentration of radioactive elements such as uranium means that Andos could provide the recources for an Orion pr Medusa like vessel for deep space exploration. The high concentrations of dangerous radioactive elements have earned Andos the nickname of Curie's Nightmare. This abnormally high ratio of radioactives to other substances have lead to speculation that it was a captured body.

Well, it wasn't modified earlier when you first made the mods. Either way, the iron planet here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/messenger/116489/&page=4

is what I was going to modify Andos to be more like (+ high numbers of radioactives)

2% is still way too much. The high amount of radioactives might imply a galactic core origin (just a guess, but let's just do that since it's cool), but 2% is still absurdly high. 0.0007% of the Earth's crust is radioactives. Even 0.1% or 0.05% is unusually high.

2 minutes ago, fredinno said:

No, Andos is becoming what Spaception's planet WAS- an iron planet with frozen iron carbonyl oceans, scaled down to 0.3 moons (plus maybe a moon :3 ?)

Spaception's planet is becoming new altogether.

Well, it wasn't modified earlier when you first made the mods. Either way, the iron planet here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/messenger/116489/&page=4

is what I was going to modify Andos to be more like (+ high numbers of radioactives)

2% is still way too much. The high amount of radioactives might imply a galactic core origin (just a guess, but let's just do that since it's cool), but 2% is still absurdly high. 0.0007% of the Earth's crust is radioactives. Even 0.1% or 0.05% is unusually high.

Ok. 0.004 still to much? Or are we scrapping it for a new idea?

4 hours ago, fredinno said:

Don't make Førstsmil my object, actually. Gonna make a proper world tomorrow, probably. Førstsmil's existence was sort of an inside joke on pareidolia anyway. XD

1 hour ago, fredinno said:

I would say 0.01%-0.05% is fine.

How would these elements have formed? This thing orbits Nibiru. Nibiru, being a red dwarf, probably hasn't died before (smaller stars last longer). It simply cannot have created any very heavy elements like this.

But all is not lost! Here's my take on how this formed as it is:

You mentioned Andos was most likely a leftover from a collision. That plus the radioactives leads me to the conclusion that millions of years ago, a starship carrying radioactive things hit proto-Andos at a measurable chunk of the speed of light and vaporized itself completely. The impact would have stripped proto-Andos of its crust and mantle, leaving only the iron core (another mystery solved). I assume it was differentiated. If not, doesn't matter. So we are left with a molten, smaller-than-before Andos with all this radioactive material mixed in with the magma. Eventually it would have frozen, with most of the radioactive material in the planet having sunk to the bottom of the liquid rock/metal. However, a lot of the radioactive material wasn't actually in the planet yet. After a collision that knocked off that much of the planet's mass, there's a ton of stuff floating in orbit. Molten rock, molten metal, radioactive material, etc. Now how would that stuff get to the surface? As a result of the collision, Andos' orbit has become very elliptical (0.9-6.7 AU, as stated in its definition). There's a lot of tidal influence from Nibiru. After a planetary crust forms, most of the orbiting debris is still gradually deorbiting from tidal disruption. It impacts at around orbital speed, and distributes itself around the surface as impact ejecta. There you go. By that theory, you can have as much radioactive material as you want, as long as it would have had a use in a giant alien starship. :D 

2 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

How would these elements have formed? This thing orbits Nibiru. Nibiru, being a red dwarf, probably hasn't died before (smaller stars last longer). It simply cannot have created any very heavy elements like this.

But all is not lost! Here's my take on how this formed as it is:

You mentioned Andos was most likely a leftover from a collision. That plus the radioactives leads me to the conclusion that millions of years ago, a starship carrying radioactive things hit proto-Andos at a measurable chunk of the speed of light and vaporized itself completely. The impact would have stripped proto-Andos of its crust and mantle, leaving only the iron core (another mystery solved). I assume it was differentiated. If not, doesn't matter. So we are left with a molten, smaller-than-before Andos with all this radioactive material mixed in with the magma. Eventually it would have frozen, with most of the radioactive material in the planet having sunk to the bottom of the liquid rock/metal. However, a lot of the radioactive material wasn't actually in the planet yet. After a collision that knocked off that much of the planet's mass, there's a ton of stuff floating in orbit. Molten rock, molten metal, radioactive material, etc. Now how would that stuff get to the surface? As a result of the collision, Andos' orbit has become very elliptical (0.9-6.7 AU, as stated in its definition). There's a lot of tidal influence from Nibiru. After a planetary crust forms, most of the orbiting debris is still gradually deorbiting from tidal disruption. It impacts at around orbital speed, and distributes itself around the surface as impact ejecta. There you go. By that theory, you can have as much radioactive material as you want, as long as it would have had a use in a giant alien starship. :D 

Not needed. We changed it to the object being captured earlier, on the PM thread :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.