Is this alternate solar system possible?

ChrisSpace

1 hour ago, ChrisSpace said:

Yeah i'm going with your idea.

Oh wow how did I not think of this?

Are you sure the radiation is bad in Jupiter's cloud layer? In any case, I suppose the gravity would cause problems. But I don't see anything wrong with using Saturn though.

I would choose an ice giant because it has more volatiles in the atmosphere, which are conductive to life. But I'll try Saturn.:D

11 minutes ago, fredinno said:

I would choose an ice giant because it has more volatiles in the atmosphere, which are conductive to life. But I'll try Saturn.:D

The problem with the ice giants is that their cloud layers are much colder and there is much less energy there.

1 hour ago, ChrisSpace said:

The problem with the ice giants is that their cloud layers are much colder and there is much less energy there.

Yeh. Jool is still nominal, so it might work there, though (planets tend to migrate in or out during their formation). And yes, you are right, Neptune and Uranus are too cold (way below Titan's -179 Degrees. Saturn is fine in terms of temperature, but volatiles are more of a problem.

11 hours ago, insert_name said:

maybe have the buoyant life forms be fairly large, and support ecosystems on them with airborne animal life

First we need to determine whether complex life can work... (after determining bacteria can survive)

3 hours ago, insert_name said:

we can alter the environment inside the gas giants, considering we did that with venus, luna, and mars,

The only problem is that we think that ice Giants have a mass limit somewhere around 3x Neptune Masses, before you start getting into gas giant territory. So maybe, but probably not. There might be enough volatiles anyways to support life, but that's a maybe. 

1 hour ago, insert_name said:

hmm maybe the buoyant gas giant ecosystem could be on a gas giant in orbit of nilibru

I was thinking that too, since it's in the habitable zone anyways, so that is my preferred baseline.

45 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

I'm working on it okay? I'll update the front post soon enough.

Thanks, was just reminding you.

What about a binary moon system orbiting a gas giant system in the Oort cloud that through being a duo of super-Earths, has ideal tidal heating and an extremely thick atmosphere (About 30x thicker than Earths) to have liquid water oceans under some of it's icy surface (The rest is rock where cold loving extremophiles live), as well as a primitive amphibious civilization that is currently limited by 14th century technology?

15 hours ago, Spaceception said:

What about a binary moon system orbiting a gas giant system in the Oort cloud that through being a duo of super-Earths, has ideal tidal heating and an extremely thick atmosphere (About 30x thicker than Earths) to have liquid water oceans under some of it's icy surface (The rest is rock where cold loving extremophiles live), as well as a primitive amphibious civilization that is currently limited by 14th century technology?

1) Such a system of moons would probably be destroyed by gravitational instability

2)Such a thick atmosphere would crush everything on the surface, unless some gelatinous "blob"-like lifeforms (the more I think of this the more it seems a cool idea)

Also if you see the first post there are already rouge planets passing near the solar system.

5 minutes ago, silversliver said:

1) Such a system of moons would probably be destroyed by gravitational instability

2)Such a thick atmosphere would crush everything on the surface, unless some gelatinous "blob"-like lifeforms (the more I think of this the more it seems a cool idea)

Also if you see the first post there are already rouge planets passing near the solar system.

1: I didn't say they were really close

2: Fine, 15x Earths atmosphere (Although blob-like extremophiles would be cool), Plus, at least it's not this thick: http://orig04.deviantart.net/7221/f/2013/352/9/5/terras_with_problems__1_by_hgfggg-d6yeyca.jpg

3: This gas giant orbits the sun REALLY far out, but not so far that it's just floating around and is a rouge planet

4: How's the planetary art going?

7 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

2: Fine, 15x Earths atmosphere (Although blob-like extremophiles would be cool), Plus, at least it's not this thick: http://orig04.deviantart.net/7221/f/2013/352/9/5/terras_with_problems__1_by_hgfggg-d6yeyca.jpg

3: This gas giant orbits the sun REALLY far out, but not so far that it's just floating around and is a rouge planet

We'll see. Like because you posted an image of Space Engine. Once I founded a planet with more than 4000 atm pressure. Good times.

4)I'm finalizing Mars and Bellona, it's taking more time than predicted because I had to study some boring Philosophy. Hegel. Interesting guy.

4 minutes ago, silversliver said:

We'll see. Like because you posted an image of Space Engine. Once I founded a planet with more than 4000 atm pressure. Good times.

4)I'm finalizing Mars and Bellona, it's taking more time than predicted because I had to study some boring Philosophy. Hegel. Interesting guy.

4000 atm pressure!? Did it have life?

27 minutes ago, insert_name said:

want me to come up with designs for the nilibru system?

I think that the Nibiru system will be under construction when the main solar system is finished, but if you have some cool ideas fell free to add.

27 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

No, it was totally an ocean.

11 hours ago, Spaceception said:

I already have such a gas giant, Persephone. And though possible to have life there (probably not intelligent, as the pressure would be like 154 m underwater). I doesn't matter, since underwater pressure basically makes it impossible for intelligent life to exist in the level that a under-ice ocean exists. The closest we have to this is Europa, orbiting Persphone (which is actually very similar, barring size, and intelligent life.

And sorry for being inactive, guys, I'm back up and running. I had a few things to deal with.

11 hours ago, silversliver said:
11 hours ago, Spaceception said:

No, it was totally an ocean.

Basically like a gas giant, I would think?

11 hours ago, silversliver said:
11 hours ago, insert_name said:

want me to come up with designs for the nilibru system?

I think that the Nibiru system will be under construction when the main solar system is finished, but if you have some cool ideas fell free to add.

We have a prototype of it in the earlier pages somewhere, (I think page 8 or 9), but yeah, it's not going to be complete until the rest of the bugs in the current system are ironed out. Because I just found one BIG bug.:(

4 hours ago, fredinno said:

Basically like a gas giant, I would think?

Yes but it had a solid surface made of something white under the ocean.

4 hours ago, fredinno said:

We have a prototype of it in the earlier pages somewhere, (I think page 8 or 9), but yeah, it's not going to be complete until the rest of the bugs in the current system are ironed out. Because I just found one BIG bug.:(

What is?

1. Solar_system_escape_velocity_vs_surface_

What you see above is a graph showing the gases various solar system objects can hold on to for long periods of time. Luna and Mars are really getting the short end of the stick- especially Luna, due to being so much closer to the Sun, it's barely holding onto the O2 and N2 in its atmosphere. And judging by this, both planets would steadily lose water vapor over time. I might need to make Mars bigger, or farther away at higher inclination to prevent that, or at least slow it significantly.

I'll comment on the rest later.

Edited by fredinno

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.