Removing parts to bare necessity

Due to a HD crash i had to install KSP again, pffffff
Now I had to sift through al the parts to remove everything that's related to airplanes: wings landinggears etc etc.
I like Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Airtycoon :D

So I got thinking, what can be removed from parts, agencies, etc to get an Ksp that plays with only rocket stuff in it (sandbox mode)????

Anybody tried this before, is there a listing of parts and other things????

Although I do not have a list, I did do that at one time

I basically got rid of all wheels (except rugged ones), all adapters/fuel tanks I never used, most of the small engines, a LOT of structural stuff.
Now in sandbox mode with only rockets ?  Take out all plane parts (careful to keep control surfaces for your ascend vehicles), most batteries, most "Pods" that you'll never use having full tree unlocked already.
Remove all science parts, you don't even need the antennas unless playing with remote tech.

If you want to push even more, just get the mod with the adjustable fuel tanks and only keep the bare minimum.  Heck I completely deleted the Nasa folder once (0.25 I think) except for those 1 engine (Cone shaped one) and the big white tank.
It also depend on how you build your crafts.   I only kept a  modded 2,5m 250kn nuke instead of the stock 50kn one and a bigger Ion engine to save on parts count.
Pretty sure I had the whole thing down by 60-70% at one time.  Did not improve performance much, but tidied the list lots.

A suggestion:  rather than out-and-out deleting the files, use ModuleManager config to axe them.

This has the advantage that you don't have to re-do the change every time KSP upgrades to a new version, since what you're doing is adding a layer on top of KSP rather than trying to alter KSP itself.

It also means that you can use procedural ModuleManager goodness to save tedium-- e.g. instead of deleting each wing piece or science experiment individually, you could say "delete all wings" or "delete all science experiments", that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

A suggestion:  rather than out-and-out deleting the files, use ModuleManager config to axe them.

Oke,  do you have some info about this??
I thought KSP loads every dds, png cfg it finds, so even with MM, the memory usage is high??
or am I mistaken here???

I did some tinkering today and found some "funny" things.
Thinking remove the Expierence folder, not needed in sandbox, uuuuhm wrong, no timer in launchpad, right side of screen info buttons and after launch no way to esc, doesnot work.
Remove techtree.cfg, no parts in VAB.
so if there is better way, i hear it.

5 hours ago, HansB said:

Oke,  do you have some info about this??
I thought KSP loads every dds, png cfg it finds, so even with MM, the memory usage is high??
or am I mistaken here???

I did some tinkering today and found some "funny" things.
Thinking remove the Expierence folder, not needed in sandbox, uuuuhm wrong, no timer in launchpad, right side of screen info buttons and after launch no way to esc, doesnot work.
Remove techtree.cfg, no parts in VAB.
so if there is better way, i hear it.

Ah, you didn't make it clear why you wanted to remove the parts.  I assumed you just didn't like them cluttering up the parts tab in the VAB, and was offering the easiest / most-portable way to do that.

If your goal is saving memory, then MM may not be the way to go-- if you delete the part using MM, I'm not sure whether you pay for keeping the part in RAM or not.  It'll certainly declutter your UI, but I dunno whether it saves RAM.

If you're interested in using MM, there's info here and here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.