The Munar Crusade

1 hour ago, spacebrick3 said:

Finished.

Great job! The interior of the restaurant is very nice. I would have had a problem with your use of 'infinite fuel' and 'no crash damage,' but the follow-up missions count, so you're good...and up on the board. Grab yourself a badge (if you want) and give yourself a pat on the back (if your arms are long enough). 

Spacebrick3's score: Over a few kerbals served. 

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Atlas2342 said:

Eeesh, just when the 1.1.2 download finished...:P. Just to be sure, 1.1.2 is fine right?

1.1.2 is exactly as fine as 1.0.5, 1.1, or even 0.90. There's no point being pedantic about a challenge like this. The Mun stays pretty consistent between KSP versions. 

Edited by Ehco Corrallo

Mine is in two parts: 

The original mission - 201 Kerbals stranded on the Mun.
The Rescue - 380 Kerbals rescue the 201 stranded Kerbals.  All 581 Kerbals return to kerbin in a powered landing of the 1200t rescue ship.
(Spoilers)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having read the first few entries I realised backdated efforts are fine ( and I should have entered last year before it got completely outlandish... ). Still:

Once upon a time I landed a thing on the Mun.

Spoiler

16904418042_d8e99e6be4_b.jpg

And it fell over. So, I landed another thing next to it, and then a couple more things ( and at some point pulled the first thing upright ):

Spoiler

19721482953_ba8de7d434_b.jpg

So my little green minions drilled, and drilled and chewed things and gave birth to a portly beast:

Spoiler

20399137085_1660256aa8_b.jpg

But this wasn't enough: so they harnessed the beast and kept chewing, and slowly their desire to roam the *ahem* lush and exciting munar landscape took tangible form:

Spoiler

20671279822_301fc5625d_b.jpg

Which begat a larger, better, stronger form:

Spoiler

20590792649_58d5efb449_b.jpg

And so the cycle of life progressed with the old left to decay while the new boldly ventured further:

Spoiler

20874401100_4570fdef11_b.jpg

And still they chased perfection:

Spoiler

21052638762_ddc53c6033_b.jpg

( also hoverbikes! )

Spoiler

20874526790_b0e00c2218_b.jpg

Until 18 Kerbals were driving a 350 ton mobile base capable of self-replication, up mountains

Spoiler

20950066638_d802234973_b.jpg

To this day they're still there, still trying to crawl out of the harsh terrain at the south pole. And they'll be roaming forever.

Spoiler

22207704491_716f9d1c60_b.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2016 at 10:54 AM, JebsDead said:

Mine is in two parts: 

The original mission - 201 Kerbals stranded on the Mun.
The Rescue - 380 Kerbals rescue the 201 stranded Kerbals.  All 581 Kerbals return to kerbin in a powered landing of the 1200t rescue ship.
(Spoilers)

Yeah. This counts. A lot. 

I think it shares the basic mission profile of most flights to the Mun. Get there safely, botch the landing, await an elaborate rescue. Three steps to success. 

You're on the board. 

@JebsDead score: 581 not-dead kerbals. 

On 7/7/2016 at 9:04 PM, JacobJHC said:

I am completing the challenge now should I show you the thread with the progress now or wait until I finish? I am about halfway unless I decide to expand.

However you like. It's a bit tidier to post when you've finished, but status updates are nice because they show progression.

On 7/7/2016 at 11:20 PM, Van Disaster said:

Having read the first few entries I realised backdated efforts are fine ( and I should have entered last year before it got completely outlandish... ). Still:

Once upon a time I landed a thing on the Mun.

And it fell over. So, I landed another thing next to it, and then a couple more things ( and at some point pulled the first thing upright ):

So my little green minions drilled, and drilled and chewed things and gave birth to a portly beast:

But this wasn't enough: so they harnessed the beast and kept chewing, and slowly their desire to roam the *ahem* lush and exciting munar landscape took tangible form:

Which begat a larger, better, stronger form:

And so the cycle of life progressed with the old left to decay while the new boldly ventured further:

And still they chased perfection:

( also hoverbikes! )

Until 18 Kerbals were driving a 350 ton mobile base capable of self-replication, up mountains

To this day they're still there, still trying to crawl out of the harsh terrain at the south pole. And they'll be roaming forever.

That's awesome; I've always had a soft spot for rovers. What mods did you use for the base building? 

@Van Disaster score: 350 tons of rover 

It's been awhile (way too long) since I've replied to this thread. And I appologize for the delay, but I'll be replying more promptly from now on. 

Cheers!

16 minutes ago, Ehco Corrallo said:

That's awesome; I've always had a soft spot for rovers. What mods did you use for the base building? 

@Van Disaster score: 350 tons of rover

Looks like the original Bobcat HOME which I kept reconfiguring to make it work up to 0.90, and proc parts with my own skins for the tank modules. Also looks like some Karbonite parts. Not sure where the truss bits on the rovers came from, maybe near future.

"replicating rover!" - the 5th incarnation could self-replicate even if it fell over, I had detachable drill sections ( just need to KAS cable attach them ).

Edited by Van Disaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.