Landing on Jool

Apologies if you already know this, but Jool is KSP's version of Jupiter, so it's a gas giant without a proper 'surface' and therefore it's not possible to actually land on it.  What happened to your ship is perfectly normal for Jool.

All of Jool's moons can be explored though, and each provide different and interesting challenges.

3 hours ago, pandaman said:

Apologies if you already know this, but Jool is KSP's version of Jupiter, so it's a gas giant without a proper 'surface' and therefore it's not possible to actually land on it.  What happened to your ship is perfectly normal for Jool.

All of Jool's moons can be explored though, and each provide different and interesting challenges.

I know that is not possible to land on Jool, I was just showing the graphical bug. With this kind of planets, I'm not sure how it would work in real life, but in game, maybe you could just orbit them or pass through them

Well, although Jool has no physical surface that can be landed on the upper atmosphere of is essentially no different to any other planet so you can use it for aerobraking (if you get it right) just like any other.  And of course orbiting above the atmosphere is no different to anywhere else.  But no you won't be able to fly 'through' the planet, as you discovered.

Hope this helps.

Actually, Jool should have a solid location to land on. all Gas Giants do, the only issue is that the winds rip ships apart before you land, like Cassini (Cassini wasn't landing. I think it was Cassini  :P). It would be cool if we had parts that would let us land on Jool though... but realistically it wouldn't happen.

Edited by Andem
Misspelling

2 hours ago, Andem said:

Actually, Jool should have a solid location to land on. all Gas Giants do, the only issue is that the winds rip ships apart before you land, like Cassini (Cassini wasn't landing. I think it was Cassini  :P). It would be cool if we had parts that would let us land on Jool though... but realistically it wouldn't happen.

No, Cassini-Huygens went to Saturn. It was Galileo that carried a atmospheric probe that was dropped into Jupiter. Although  believe it was the pressure that killed the probe, not winds? Can someone confirm or deny? BTW, Huygens dropped onto Titan.

13 minutes ago, TronX33 said:

No, Cassini-Huygens went to Saturn. It was Galileo that carried a atmospheric probe that was dropped into Jupiter. Although  believe it was the pressure that killed the probe, not winds? Can someone confirm or deny? BTW, Huygens dropped onto Titan.

It was the pressure. I'm sure a probe can "handle" wind before it's molecular structure begins to collapse. The pressure became so great that the probe was crushed.

9 minutes ago, Der Anfang said:

It was the pressure. I'm sure a probe can "handle" wind before it's molecular structure begins to collapse. The pressure became so great that the probe was crushed.

I thought it was a combination of the pressure and the heat. Pretty sure >150 C temperature is enough to make electronics stop working.

22 hours ago, TronX33 said:

Still, Gas giants still have solid cores. Having some way to land on it would be cool tho. unrealistic? yes. But whoever said that KSP had to be realistic?

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 2:21 AM, pandaman said:

actually gas giants do have surfaces, very deep down, but they have insane temperatures and pressures. impossible to land without ripping off the atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.