[STOCK] Kerbal Dynamics: Dragon 9 Hard Deck Landing

ihtoit

On 12/24/2015 at 9:07 AM, Foxster said:

Love prykpryk's entry because it doesn't use SRBs and it doesn't use 'chutes. That's how it was done by SpaceX this week. It really should be a requirement here too then, or at least make other entries a "lite" option. 

Also - can someone give me the idiot's guide to using the BDArmory module to keep the first stage from disappearing?

Sure, it's easy - just slap a BDA Flight Computer on the side of each stage (anywhere - it's physicsless) and if you arm a payload with a rack of missiles (or guns, or lasers!) and the weapon manager as well, now you've got a deployable orbital weapon platform which you can set to Team B and with a few dozen of those puppies in 71km orbit, you can have fun dodging them with your hapless Kerbals in capsules sporting a BDAFM Team A badge.

55 minutes ago, ihtoit said:

loving that! Pretty sure those antennas aren't stock, though?

[EDIT] They might be in 1.0.5, I can't find them in my 1.0.4 build.

Hi, it´s full stock. you can edit the craft file version number to 1.0.4 and it should be fine.
I dont have an 1.0.4 install but an 1.0.3 and it works fine :)

Craft file for version 1.0.3: http://kerbalx.com/Dante_B/Falcon9-style

Edited by Dante_B
added craft file 1.0.3

Here goes my attempt, aerobreakes bugged when changing from one ship to another and refused to open :( , this is not the first time that happens to me so if anybody knows the fis, I appreciate it.

Overall I am quite happy . I did not use mechjeb autopilot ( only the landing prediction) or chutes, just manual piloting.

Hope you like it! :)

EDIT: I used lander icons because I have the space full of other ships and wanted to make it clearer hahaha

EDIT 2: WOW! basically same rocket design as scott manley, both uploaded almost at the same time O_O that has to give extra points https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5v3TW2u6yk

Edited by sieve
goofed link

So, I'm about to record my launch.

In adavnce, I'm going to leave the flight plan here:
-Activate Stage 1 SRB
-Slight G-Turn
-Discard S1 and burn S2 engine
Significant G-turn
-Discard S2 when 1km/s is reached
-Burn to sub-orbit with S3
-Switch to S2, reverse heading to 270, and burn for retrograde speed of 1.3km/s
-Land near the LaunchPad.
-Switch to S3 and burn for full orbit
-Deploy satalite and discard S3

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

I finished the challenge. I am uploading pics now. However I missed the KSC by 14.7km

Also, is there any rule saying that you are not supposed to land the second stage as well?

EDIT:

Edited by Bev7787

5 hours ago, Kirrim_K said:

Here's my go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZFSvjKe-Y

it says "dragon thingy", so sorry about that. If anything "falcon thingy" would have made more sense, do I get brownie points for having a turnaround/relaunch system?

Geez... And my idea requires me to land the first stage on an ISRU, then the second stage on top of that.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I'm still laughing at the fact that this actually worked. It is severely overpowered for such a tiny payload, but I did it. I was goofing off with a more realistic Dragon / Falcon 9 design and I was only able to fit the 9 engines around a 3.75m tank. It looks really stupid because I never intended it to work, yet it successfully completed the mission on it's first flight. The album below shows the second flight with no design modifications (I flew it a little bit better than the first time).

Side note: I will be attempting another go at this challenge as I am dissatisfied with pretty much everything about this design. It worked, yes, but I could improve a hellava lot more :D.

Edited by PacThePhoenix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.