Devnote Tuesday: Holidays != Vacation

SQUAD

I think KSP should be rated PEGI 6 just because of the explosion sounds.

Spoiler

PEGI 4
The content of games with this rating is considered suitable for all age groups. Some violence in a comical context (typically forms of violence like the cartoon Bugs Bunny or Tom & Jerry) is acceptable. The children will not be able to associate the character on the screen the real-life characters; They must be totally fanciful characters. The game should not contain any sounds or pictures that might scare or frighten young children. It should not be used inappropriate language.

PEGI 6
In this age group, children can be exposed to a little more violence. However, this violence has yet to be directed to unrealistic fanciful characters. Any game that would normally be classified as 4, but containing possibly frightening scenes or sounds may be considered suitable in this category.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion considering the rest of this thread, but it seems a foolish endeavour to me to fret over the actual definition of 'violence'. People are glossing over the fact that PEGI aren't idiots, KSP isn't going to be a 16+ because it has 'violence'. Every game has to have a rating and a game literally containing explosions and death in any form isn't going to go down well with a 3 year old. PEGI have common sense and know an awful lot more about how to rate video games than any of us or SQUAD, so let them do their job.

The next rating PEGI commonly use above 3+ is 7+, which is likely the rating that they'll give it. Not a big deal right?

Edited by HatBat

On 30.12.2015 at 1:09 AM, SQUAD said:

As it turned out the cause of the problem was in the joints between parts, and how those interacted with a component called CollisionEnhancer which ensures parts can’t punch through terrain if they collide really fast with it. Neither side was directly responsible for the bug: the joints worked as usual, and CollisionEnhancer was also producing correct and stable results. The bug happened when, after a collision CollisionEnhancer would correct the position of parts that had punched through the terrain, causing the joints to exert the maximum amount of force they could, which as we were to find, was set to infinity. That then caused the vessel to get moved to infinity (because it was moved at infinity m/s by this infinite force), causing the entire simulation to break down in a cascade of invalid values.

Well, does that mean Danny's "Destroy the Universe"-crafts wont work anymore, as he has exploited this since the early beta?
i wonder how he will handle these news :D

5 hours ago, Speadge said:

Well, does that mean Danny's "Destroy the Universe"-crafts wont work anymore, as he has exploited this since the early beta?
i wonder how he will handle these news :D

He will find a way. He's Danny, after all.

Will probably go into it a bit further in tomorrow's devnotes, but today we have the official E for Everyone rating on the ESRB! This will help out a lot for the PEGI case. And no, we would never change the game just to fit a certain rating. It's more of a, "I mean it, Kids are learning a lot with this and we will not change it. Please don't make their parents think twice about this product!" kind of scenario.

I love all of you guys arguments. Very interesting!

Edited by Dr_Turkey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.