Does Orion constellation is visible in JANUARY :D

Pawelk198604

BTW happy new year :D

A moment ago I went out on my balcony, I live in a block to watch amateur fireworks made by neighbors once and I also run it in fireworks in the new year, but now not anymore, because I feel sorry for wasting money.

But when I went out on the balcony I saw something much nicer, beautiful starry sky and the constellation Orion, once seen it in astronomical atlas.

I wonder what a shining star at the bottom, or sometimes not Jupiter :D

Yes, Orion is the prettiest winter constellation in Poland :) Bright star in the bottom is probably Rigel (beta Orionis). On the left is constellation of Canis Major with the brightest star visible from Earth, Sirius. On the right from Orion is Taurus, with Aldebaran and Hyades.

Thats, funny when i look stars at cloudless night i feel something deep inside me, i love stars and astronomy cause i bought KSP :D

But i'm not Nerdy (no offense :D ) about it just geely ;)

But when i look into stars i think about starship Enterprise and WARP drive does we are ever get there?  does we are not alone up there :D 

Does yoo feel the same thing?

I feel ya. Whenever I look up and there are stars visible in the sky I'm like "Woah I'm part of this. My atoms are your atoms, Dear Stars."

Orion sure is a nice constellation during winter in Poland. You can even see the nebula as a dim cloud in the sky, if I'm not mistaken. Just below the belt.

Orion is my favorite constellation, mostly because it's the one I see the most. The nebula is slightly visible for me, I can see some of the stars inside it. Betelgeuse and Rigel on the corners, Alnitak, Alnilam  and Mintaka in the belt (yes I'm a nerd this is from memory) 

It's always nice on a clear night to look up at the stars and think about all the worlds that we can't yet reach...Sometimes I wish I could live just a hundred years longer so I can see us make it to that point. Then again, once we do the magic of the stars will be lost, they'll just be places to visit like a European might visit America nowadays, whereas a few hundred years ago it would have been like going to the Moon is today.

3 hours ago, Pwnstarr said:

Must be a northern problem. I see Orion all year long. 

You live in the antarctic circle ?

Anyway, yeah, saw Orion and Canis Major constellation last night, among the fireworks... Granted light clouds blocked everything but the brightest star (Betelgeuse, Rigel and Sirius, additionally Canopus but no guidance there for Argo Navis) sometimes but then it's a pretty sky given that rainy (monsoon) season supposed to be here now... El Nino certainly gives some dryness to it.

1 hour ago, YNM said:

You live in the antarctic circle ?

In Southern latitudes, it's basically a year-round constellation. Sun passes very close to it during part of the year, but it's a large constellation. So some part of it is going to be visible at dawn/dusk anyways.

In contrast, from arctic circle, you'd hardly ever see Orion.

Edited by K^2

12 hours ago, Veeltch said:

I feel ya. Whenever I look up and there are stars visible in the sky I'm like "Woah I'm part of this. My atoms are your atoms, Dear Stars.".

Sure is a widening thought. But then again. So are the atoms inside the thrashcan :P

9 hours ago, K^2 said:

In Southern latitudes, it's basically a year-round constellation. Sun passes very close to it during part of the year, but it's a large constellation. So some part of it is going to be visible at dawn/dusk anyways.

In contrast, from arctic circle, you'd hardly ever see Orion.

Viewing things at civil - nautical dawn / dusk can be pretty hard. Whenever the Sun hits Gemini Orion is pretty much lost from my site (-6), so I'm not south enough then ?

@ Pwnstarr : you must be in Australia or so ? Or somewhere else (S.Af/Am) ?

16 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I wonder what a shining star at the bottom, or sometimes not Jupiter :D

Sirius is soo bright, you can see it when it's very low (on-top-the-trees level or something), and whenever I removes my glasses it deserves it's name (twinkling like crazy, like some beacon)

Edited by YNM

51 minutes ago, YNM said:

Viewing things at civil - nautical dawn / dusk can be pretty hard. Whenever the Sun hits Gemini Orion is pretty much lost from my site (-6), so I'm not south enough then ?

Betelgeuse is frigin' bright. If you can't see it through the twilight, you ain't lookin' right. And if the Sun's right in it,  then the Sirius should be visible. Not the same constellation, but it will guide you to the belt.

16 hours ago, Pwnstarr said:

Must be a northern problem. I see Orion all year long. 

heh, yeah, the same about people who has not snow in christmas. Is common for some people to believe that their references are universal. 

In astronomy as in many other cases, you should offer always your location.

Edited by AngelLestat

1 hour ago, AngelLestat said:

heh, yeah, the same about people who has not snow in christmas. Is common for some people to believe that their references are universal. 

In astronomy as in many other cases, you should offer always your location.

And in Central Europe (Northern Hemisphere) the Orion are best for observation in Winter?  

4 hours ago, YNM said:

@ Pwnstarr : you must be in Australia or so ? Or somewhere else (S.Af/Am) ?

Sirius is soo bright, you can see it when it's very low (on-top-the-trees level or something), and whenever I removes my glasses it deserves it's name (twinkling like crazy, like some beacon)

I remember my teacher of physics and astronomy at the high school, once he lent me his own private telescope, my teacher was a very good man and passionate about astronomy.
I remember how showed me with a telescope, Jupiter's moons, he said that the four largest moons, the so-called Galilean moons, are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.

That Jupiter can be seen in the night sky, and many people take him to be a star, but it is not a star but a planet and is the largest in our solar system, I remember my teacher explained to me that Jupiter can be seen with the naked eye, and it gently flickers

4 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

And in Central Europe (Northern Hemisphere) the Orion are best for observation in Winter?  

Yes, mid winter seems to be the best time for viewing Orion in the northern hemisphere. You can enter your location on the heavens above website to get star charts specific to your area.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.