Juno water speed record

7 hours ago, Lego8_bit said:

Say is it OK if I use b9 adjustable landing gear and tweak scale?

Yes. You may use any parts mod as long as it doesn't do something absurd. Please list which ones you use though.

1 hour ago, crashsolo36 said:

ok so just a response to..

swjr-swis- It's hydroplaning,and there are three points thats touching the water

ZnC86rr

so I re-ran the test ...

I really don't know what else to say other than the design works!!!

the craft in question

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B61EaNB7qrXfc1B1TlJQMThvSFk

Ok but i got a question can you prove that you are actualy using a juno by turning the view twoards the rear end of the craft please? oh and one more thing if that is the juno where is the fuel to supply it

Edited by Lego8_bit

don't be an ass. download the craft...https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B61EaNB7qrXfc1B1TlJQMThvSFk

it's a juno engine are you serious dude!!!!!.

IJEjaSt.png

1. Juno Engine in the back

2. The Fuel is in the tank that's behind that cab... (Yeah that thing that looks like a cone with a black strip painted around it..) with the spoiler and the JUNO engine attached...

Look don't try to be smart by being an ass. download the craft test it u will see it's a Juno. dude this is suppose to be for fun...

it's like i'm in KSP court cuz my design got the top speed..

instead why not try this 1. Weight (makes u float or sink) 2. lift matters. and use flaps instead of wings... wings are heavy. flaps are light and some how they both do the same work..

And Just incase u missed the Second Run......

8 minutes ago, crashsolo36 said:

@crashsolo36 Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's a game. I don't view challenges as competitions, I participate just to learn new build tricks and as a challenge to myself and the craft I build. I am neither accusing you of anything nor trying to steal your spot on this leaderboard (in fact @Pds314 feel free to retract my entry to keep the peace, I'm perfectly fine participating and sharing my success/failure without getting on the board at all).

I simply asked a sincere question, because I would love to have a boat that remains stable on the water at 155-165m/s in stock: it has the potential of making some of the survey contracts a lot easier if I can replicate the technique in an exploration/science boat. So I have a genuine interest in figuring out how this works.

Btw: I think you need to explicitly allow people to access that file. I get a permission denied when I click on the link. Again, I'm really interested in testing your design, because there's a lot of variables to the design (exact placement of the elevons and winglets, angles, dis/allowing pitch or roll control, etc) that I could easily have just off that prevent mine from working. If anything, it says more about my lousy skills in the KSP editor than about your ship.

well sorry if my post sounded as if I was liquided. no I wasn't.. I just wanted to let him know it was just a game too. I like challenges some I complete and some I don't. if my post seems like i'm mad or bashin sory guys i'm not......

as for the file get it from my google drive

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B61EaNB7qrXfc1B1TlJQMThvSFk

don't know wats up with KSPplayers... gonna see wats up on my profile.

Actually I'm kinda jealous of the hydroplane-er. I built a all-Firespitter jet powered catamaran hybrid and I managed to get up to 122 m/s before the pontoons blew apart.

screenshot7_5.pngI present for consideration for the Stock Physics section....The Sea Flea!

It's a nearly 100% Firespitter craft (nose, cockpit, rear adapter, pontoons) with the appropriate fuel tank and engine for the challenge.

Mods:
Firespitter (chassis structure, pontoons, biplane cable structural reinforcements)
SQUAD (fuel tank, engine (Juno))
Fengst's Maritime Pack (stack intake, spot lamps on rear pontoon structure)

Top speed before breaking up: 124.7 m/s
Speed posted (pontoons broke apart): 126 m/s

screenshot10_3.png

screenshot11_4.png

Now, despite what the flight results says about the altitude, this boat never left the ocean. Dunno why it would consider sea level as 105 m.

Edited by GDJ

-Update-

Wow. GDJ, that thing is very quick and reliable. I'm putting it up, but I have to ask, did it survive the run to 124.7 m/s? At least enough to be controllable afterward?

Also, crashsolo36, I'm not removing your entry from the leaderboard, but there must be something weird. I deinstalled FAR and messed with it, and I couldn't get it past ~50 m/s. Is there some special way to pilot it or something? It looks to me like you might have a broken drag profile.

Edited by Pds314

34 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

-Update-

Wow. GDJ, that thing is very quick and reliable. I'm putting it up, but I have to ask, did it survive the run to 124.7 m/s? At least enough to be controllable afterward?

At 124.7 m/s yes it stays together, and with the throttle control on Pilot Assistant it will speed along at 124.7 until the tank runs dry. I generally keep it down to 124 m/s exactly just so I have some cushion (not freaking much tho!)
At exactly 125 m/s the pontoons blow apart. My posted speed of 126 m/s was probably due to the engine being intact right after the pontoons broke apart and the boat managed to do a spurt of acceleration.

As for handling, I wouldn't do any turning at that speed, but it stay upright at 60 m/s for turns.

All-in-all, it's not a bad boat at all. I'm fairly happy with it.

And I called it The Sea Flea, mostly because it rolls of the tongue well. :D

Edited by GDJ

My FAR entry has a top speed of 72.6 m/s.  I still need to work on control settings and also move the rear stabilizer upwards.  See explosion in the 3rd screenshot.  The controls got blown off and then the whole thing went out of control.  It's still usable, just not close to top speed.  40 m/s is about the limit without the rear surfaces.

jIG8pjR.png

ETqI4pi.png

r31aT8V.png

fCPKFhj.png

2 hours ago, rocketengineer1982 said:

My FAR entry has a top speed of 72.6 m/s.  I still need to work on control settings and also move the rear stabilizer upwards.  See explosion in the 3rd screenshot.  The controls got blown off and then the whole thing went out of control.  It's still usable, just not close to top speed.  40 m/s is about the limit without the rear surfaces.

Pds314 was getting lonely on that FAR leaderboard, finally someone to keep him company. :D

That's a fast-looking lil speeder, I like it.

Try to balance it so that it is pointing just barely over the horizon, to minimize both water and air drag - it will also keep the skipping to a minimum which keeps it stable and safe for longer. That should enable it to get >200m/s on a FAR install.

Edited by swjr-swis

hmmm could be ?. my KSP is stocked no FAR or other mods like that, I do have Firespitter but only the plugin, rasterprop, mechjeb, takecommand, vessel mover and tweakscale, but I don't use tweakscale not for the challenges. I try to build them as stock as possible, plus I take a lot of time designing and testing and tweaking. i'm not sure if any of those mods are the issue.

but here is the Physics.cfg: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B61EaNB7qrXfUm5uTkdrQlNpWFk

and my Settings.cfg: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B61EaNB7qrXfNDZONkljSkZsejg

11 minutes ago, crashsolo36 said:

HEY!!!! GDJ congrats on that 124m/s.. DANG u guys are getting closer.. I think I may need to go back to the drawing board soon...

Thanks!

Unfortunately I've really hit the wall with the Firespitter pontoons. They simply will not take any more than 124.9 m/s. If I'm going to go faster, I will have to come up with something different.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.