radiophobia at its finest

insert_name

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

why delay clicking "share" with ten seconds doing boring "research" when you don't have to?

Yeah, I blame the internet. Or more accurately, most people seem to have forgotten that anyone can put whatever they like on it. I come across someone with a harebrained theory, conspiracy, or perpetual motion machine on a regular basis. When I ask about their sources, it's always "Watch this Youtube video, you'll understand". :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, steve_v said:

Gah, this again. I really wish this "cellphones cause cancer" BS would die already, it's been tested enough to say "no link found". Not to mention the whole getting a bigger dose from pretty much everything else.

The only people who believe this junk are those who have no idea what they're on about, or how radio works.

I've recently seen (local paper no less):
WIFI causes ADD, and a whole host of other things, and should be banned in schools. (guess I should move that 6' antenna out of my house then :P)
A big (and largely successful) campaign against a cell tower (main argument: dangerous radio waves) in a real coverage black spot. I really hope the pitchfork wielding mobs come for these fools when someone dies in a boating accident because no cell coverage.

Yeah, I'm perhaps getting a bit old and crusty, but these days I think no one should be able to graduate high school or be allowed to have custody of children without being able to explain the Base Rate Fallacy.

Especially journalists.

37 minutes ago, manaiaK said:

Especially journalists.

:D

The only thing worse than getting one's information from Youtube / Faceborg is getting it from the media... unfortunately a large number of people get their "facts" from people wholly under-qualified to discern data from logical fallacy or misinterpretation of statistics.
OTOH, sensational reporting sells more rags (or gathers more clicks) than factual reporting, and that's what really matters, apparently.

Edited by steve_v

On 2016-01-04 at 2:47 AM, cubinator said:

back to subject: Non-ionizing radiation does not cause cancer.

That's not... Entirely true...

In fact thermal radiation (infrared) at temperatures as low as 45 degrees C can cause so-called erythema ab igne, which is a skin condition characterized by expansive rashes in exposed areas. Resting a laptop in one's lap, sitting too close to the fireplace or using heating pads for too long can cause the condition. This is not a burn, although burn injuries can also cause cancer (in rare cases).

In rare cases, erythema ab igne can cause squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the skin. It should be noted that repeated, long-duration exposure is required, such that the rash becomes chronic and does not heal.

Edited by Aanker

2 hours ago, Aanker said:

That's not... Entirely true...

In fact thermal radiation (infrared) at temperatures as low as 45 degrees C can cause so-called erythema ab igne, which is a skin condition characterized by expansive rashes in exposed areas. Resting a laptop in one's lap, sitting too close to the fireplace or using heating pads for too long can cause the condition. This is not a burn, although burn injuries can also cause cancer (in rare cases).

In rare cases, erythema ab igne can cause squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the skin. It should be noted that repeated, long-duration exposure is required, such that the rash becomes chronic and does not heal.

The radiation emitted by cell phone and radio towers isn't problematic though.

12 hours ago, steve_v said:

:D

The only thing worse than getting one's information from Youtube / Faceborg is getting it from the media... unfortunately a large number of people get their "facts" from people wholly under-qualified to discern data from logical fallacy or misinterpretation of statistics.
OTOH, sensational reporting sells more rags (or gathers more clicks) than factual reporting, and that's what really matters, apparently.

Especially on slow news days, add that lots of this stuff is canned as its not really news so they pad with it on days without murder. 

Phone companies has sometimes put up cell phone towers who are not connected until later, yes its probably as they want an volume before swapping to new standards as 4G, however they also enjoy that the usual suspects complains that they get sick of the unconnected tower. 

People who claim they get sick because of electricity are not able to detect strong fields but they react on an low 50hz sound or other typical clues like an status light on an box. Yes this is even if they have symptoms. if you are told you have eaten bad food and other get sick you will get sick too.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.