Linux + OpenGL

will linux also work with openGL to have even better RAM and mod support? im having occasional crashes even with linux 64 bit, like due to ram or something, i guess. will force openGL or whatever the command is allow me to have more RAM, or maybe stop ram based crashes?

Just be aware that some GPUs (read a GTX 460) Run better on DX than OpenGL. If I force OpenGL for my windows install, it runs like crap. A newer, faster card would probably fare better.

I've never had crashes in 64bit due to RAM. I don't know how Linux does it but windows will cache RAM data on to an HDD when it runs out of RAM space. I got this alot when I only had 4GB to work with.

25 minutes ago, 123nick said:

will linux also work with openGL ...

GNU/Linux doesn't support DirectX, so on Linux or OSX it's OpenGL or nothing.

25 minutes ago, 123nick said:

will force openGL or whatever the command is allow me to have more RAM...

No. There's no magic "allow me to have more RAM" switch, OpenGL just uses less memory on Windows than DirectX for some reason. As to why, ask Unity.

Your issues might be due to RAM, as there's something in the GNU/Linux Unity build that sometimes chokes at ~7-8GB. The dead giveaway is a line along the lines of "Attempted to access more than 16GB memory" in your log. AFAICT this is a Unity bug, and there's not much can be done about it.

Of course, if you want to stop guessing at the cause, you could inspect the log after a crash.

10 minutes ago, Sovek said:

I don't know how Linux does it but windows will cache RAM data on to an HDD when it runs out of RAM space.

GNU/Linux will swap to disk when it runs out of physical memory (assuming you have assigned swap space), in much the same way Windows or any other OS does. This is largely irrelevant for OOM crashes on 32bit, they're due to running out of 32bit virtual address space, not physical RAM. Swapping will tank performance though - the HDD is orders of magnitude slower than RAM.

Edited by steve_v

4 minutes ago, Sovek said:

I've never had crashes in 64bit due to RAM. I don't know how Linux does it but windows will cache RAM data on to an HDD when it runs out of RAM space. I got this alot when I only had 4GB to work with.

You might be talking about windows pagefile. A space in the hard drive used as slow cache when RAM just cant take it all

Edited by Kaezan

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

GNU/Linux doesn't support DirectX, so on Linux or OSX it's OpenGL or nothing.

No. There's no magic "allow me to have more RAM" switch, OpenGL just uses less memory on Windows than DirectX for some reason. As to why, ask Unity.

Your issues might be due to RAM, as there's something in the GNU/Linux Unity build that sometimes chokes at ~7-8GB. The dead giveaway is a line along the lines of "Attempted to access more than 16GB memory" in your log. AFAICT this is a Unity bug, and there's not much can be done about it.

Of course, if you want to stop guessing at the cause, you could inspect the log after a crash.

GNU/Linux will swap to disk when it runs out of physical memory (assuming you have assigned swap space), in much the same way Windows or any other OS does. This is largely irrelevant for OOM crashes on 32bit, they're due to running out of 32bit virtual address space, not physical RAM. Swapping will tank performance though - the HDD is orders of magnitude slower than RAM.

ok, thanks. it wasnt too frequent, these crashes, so im just curious too why its happening. its rare enough and infrequent enough that i think i can just ignore it. :) 

4 hours ago, sal_vager said:

I'm guessing you asked because you want to squeeze more addons into memory, so I moved this to addon support.

yeah, thanks too :) .

Edited by 123nick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.