Orange Suited Kerbal Becomes a Tourist

I have a moded KSP v1.0.5 game and am currently in the beginning of a normal difficulty career game (60+ mods).  Sometime, somewhere, Bob Kerman has turned into a tourist, which is indicated in the Astronaut Complex (AC).  I don't recall ever putting him in a craft but I do remember a notification that he refuses to work so I must have (his save file entries confim that I did).  He is not currently in flight anywhere; he's listed as available for sightseeing in the AC.

So, I went into the save's persistent.sfs and quicksave.sfs files and manual edited Bob's entries (new values in red):

STATUS_DATA
            {
                KerbalName = Bob Kerman
                LastMeal = 6308.14827883338
                IsGrouchy = False
                OldTrait = Scientist
                LastUpdate = 265713.985628117
            }

and

KERBAL
        {
            name = Bob Kerman
            gender = Male
            type = Scientist
            trait = Scientist
            brave = 0.3
            dumb = 0.1
            badS = False
            tour = False
            state = Available
            ToD = 0
            idx = 0
            CAREER_LOG
            {
                flight = 3
                0 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                0 = Flight,Kerbin
                0 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                0 = Land,Kerbin
                0 = Recover
                1 = Recover
                2 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                2 = Flight,Kerbin
                2 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                2 = Recover
            }
            FLIGHT_LOG
            {
                flight = 3
            }
        }

After I do this, I restart the game but clicking on the enabled "Resume Saved" menu entry doesn't display the saved games dialog (I have 4; clicking the button does nothing but dim the button).  When I revert to the original persistent and quicksave files, all behaviour returns to normal.

How do I get Bob Kerman back to being a regular orange-suited Scientist Kerbal (with or without modifying the .sfs files)?  What did I do to turn him into a Tourist in the first place?  What changes should I be making to which files to do this successfully in the future?

Your tourist problem sounds like an issue with the USI life support mod, might be worth a wander over there to annoy ask @RoverDude or see if it's a known bug.

No ideas on the save editing though, sorry. Have you compared your changed entries to one of the other (not grouchy) orange-suits?

Edited by steve_v

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

Your tourist problem sounds like an issue with the USI life support mod, might be worth a wander over there to annoy ask @RoverDude or see if it's a known bug.

I'll do that.  It's interesting that you picked that one out of all the mods I could have had installed.  I do have USI-LS.  Was Bpb's refusal to work your clue?

No ideas on the save editing though, sorry. Have you compared your changed entries to one of the other (not grouchy) orange-suits?

Yes, that's exactly what I did in the first place since I have no idea where to find the .sfs file syntax.  I searched for every "Bob Kerman" entry and compared against his orange-suited brethren.  I thought I was being so smart.:confused:

6 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

It's interesting that you picked that one out of all the mods I could have had installed.

The whole refusing to work / turning into a tourist mechanic is a USI-LS thing, doesn't exist in stock and neither do these:     
                LastMeal = 6308.14827883338
                IsGrouchy = False
                OldTrait = Scientist
                LastUpdate = 265713.985628117

They're added by that mod to track life support status.

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop on this one, the problem seemed to solve itself.  After several game restarts, access to that particular save was restored magically.  Don't know why but once it did, the Kerbal was back to work.

For anyone who's interested, I also did some more research on the persistent.sfs file here for another save file issue.

• 3 months later...

Stumbled upon this while trying to fix some configuration issues. For the next poor sop who stumbles upon this thread, tries the fix, and has the save disappear:

type = Crew

not

type = Scientist/Pilot/Scientist

This only fixes the save file disappearing if you edit it - not orange suits going tourist problem. Still working on that one ;.;

Edit: Figured out orange suits going tourist again once you reload the save. Copy and paste "lastupdate" time over "lastonkerbin" and "lastmeal" times (found by the per-kerbal isgrouchy field). They'll go tourist again in 15 days as usual if my suspicions are correct, but you can at least undo the damage done by unexpected touristification of orange suits in a pinch :rolleyes:

Edited by null000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.