Add KSPField visible during EVA & detect EVA transition

I'm trying to make it so that kerbals on EVA can interact with a part, but I'm not sure how to do so.  How would I go about doing this?

Also, how does one determine the skillset and skill level of a kerbal?  I can't seem to find a way.

In the interest of not starting even more threads, I'm going to ask these here:

How do I make a KSPField visible during EVA?  guiActive = true doesn't seem to work.

Also, how do I detect transition from EVA to IVA or vice versa, and how do I determine what capsule the transition occurred from/to?

Edited by Ontresanas

Which is exactly what I want.  The KSPEvents are already visible from, and work in, EVA.  I want to display a value in the EVA menu, but I don't want it to have a button.

[KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiActive = false, guiName = "Examination Result")]
public string ExamineStatus;

It's correctly visible when not on EVA, but on EVA it's not visible in the right-click context menu.

Edited by Ontresanas

Was just poking around the GameEvents today and came across these two events that look promising. I haven't played with them - you'd need to investigate.

GameEvents.onCrewBoardVessel
GameEvents.onCrewOnEva

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.