• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

215 Excellent

1 Follower

About wasml

  • Rank
    Spacecraft Engineer

Recent Profile Visitors

2232 profile views
  1. Background: I've often struggled to figure out the proper way to set up parts and ended up pulling existing models apart to see how they work. This gets me through the Blender part but I typically don't have the Unity files. While most of the information is out there, I thought it would be nice to have an example of a part project from start to finish, with comments to point out the common pitfalls and points to pay particular attention to. Proposal: In the interests of helping those new to creating parts (and I hope to learn something too) I've put together a “Demo Parts” project with four simple parts – Fuel tank, RCS block, Stack Decoupler, and fixed solar panel. The models and texturing are very basic as the point is to provide a example of part structure from Blender to “in game”. The license is MIT and if there's enough interest I would add parts to the extent of my abilities/free time. If this does go - the hope is that I'd get feedback and be able to improve the examples/correct any major errors as time goes on – that said the parts should be functional from the start – optimal – not so much. The example files are here: Download Thoughts?
  2. Complete Beginner Modding Tutorial?

    If you follow that link - about 15% of the way down there's a section on texturing - Link to one of the relevant pages. discusses unwrapping and texturing. If you don't have Photoshop GIMP is a free and open source graphics editor. One note - the three things I can think of off the top of my head that have changed - Wheels and emissives have changed and I think dds is now the preferred texture format - I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it at the moment. - enjoy!
  3. Complete Beginner Modding Tutorial?

    A lot old stuff but other than the wheel info I think most of it is still relevant Mod Development Links Compilation.
  4. @trapbuilder2 This does not work with BD Armory - but DoctorDavinci is looking into it - see posts above your's.
  5. @DoctorDavinciI look forward to seeing what you come up with. If you have any questions I'll be happy to try an answer them - though the code is fairly simple. Most of the work if I recall was figuring out when something disconnected from the part with the cloak device. If you let me know when you have this implemented I'll add a note and link in the OP.
  6. @DoctorDavinci I had taken a brief look at that some time ago (1.1.3 time frame?) but I didn't see an immediately obvious way to do it - not that there wasn't one. If you're comfortable with writing plugins you're welcome to use my code as a base to create a alternate to this and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have (actually there's not much to the code). If you do I would ask that you name it something distinct from this one so people don't confuse them. If not I'm afraid I haven't had much time for KSP lately and while I'll try to keep this updated, adding new features isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future.
  7. @DragonwarpThere's two folders in the zip - "Source" and "GameData". Ignore the "Source" folder and merge the "GameData" folder with the installed GameData. An alternate way would be to drag and drop the zip's "GameData\KSI" folder into your "GameData". The structure your looking for is: Your KSP folder GameData KSI (from the zip) Squad Note: if you have other mods installed their folders will be in there too along side Squad and KSI.
  8. @Dragonwarp This should be very light. In the 0.11 release the texture is half a meg while the pluging and model are around 10KB each. If you want to reduce it further you could reduce the resolution of the texture - just replace the current texture (CloakDev_UV2.dss) with a reduced version with the same name.
  9. Liquid Methane 0.1.0

    That title is short, simple, and anyone looking at it will know what to expect - I'd say it's an excellent title. Engines look beautiful. Thanks for sharing these!
  10. Was playing with Unity lights once and found a cull mask on the Unity light object - with this you can let the light shine only on layers of your choosing. Turn off the layer for map view (and maybe IVA too) and the light behaves better.
  11. @Squishydoo Somewhere near the center of the SpaceDock page is a "Changelog" button - press that and you should see a list of previous versions, the KSP version they are for, and a download button for that version.
  12. Engine not moving ship [1.3]

    My first guess would be that the model that your replacing the mainsail with has a different thrust transform name - the "thrustVectorTransformName = " in the config file. A good tool to find the internals of a model in game is:
  13. No pinned tutorials?

    Have you seen Some - like wheels - outdated but many still useful. Bunch of tutorials about half way down - including some "Getting started" tutorials.
  14. Updated to both KSP 1.2.2 (v0.09) and 1.3.0 (v0.10) on Spacedock. I haven't had much time to test so downloaders beware - best to try in a temporary game to start.
  15. Procedural Greebles

    As HebaruSan mentioned you may not want colliders with your greeble - if greeble isn't physically significant (I think you can still do that with the PhysicsSignificance field in the cfg) it would reduce the processing load on the computer as it would be ignored when checking for collisions. If you haven't run across it yet there's a page with lots of info - some outdated (like wheel info) - but still lots of good stuff: