Suggestion - Action key for Devs to implement

Greetings,

First let me congratulate everyone at Squad for giving me the experience of "feeling" space the way I like and giving me the opportunity make that space free with only the limit of my imagination.

I know there many threads with good suggestions here and I'm sorry if this was already mentioned.

I would like to see implemented something simple. The use of the ESC key to leave the scene. In other words, I would like to use the ESC key to leave any screen like SPH, VAB, etc. I know we can click the little orange icon on the right upper corner but sometimes we just want to "leave"! :)

I do not know if this can be achieved with a mod. If it is a matter of using a small plugin, I do use mods, to make my game harder and more real (at least for my kind of feeling what should be real) but to be honest, I think this is a very small implementation to the stock game and probably easy to do. I do not know if it is easy to implement in the base code, I am not a programmer. I leave it to you.

Thank you for your consideration and keep up the good, excellent and amazing work that you guys are doing with KSP.

Edited by Kar

Interestingly, it does do that for the tracking station... just not for the other KSC buildings.  Seems like it ought to be hooked up.  And not just for leaving the scene-- it should be tied to the "cancel" buttons in the UI.  For example, if I'm in the VAB, and I click on the "load" button, it brings up a craft browser dialog with "load" and "cancel" buttons.  Pressing ESC should dismiss the dialog, same as if I'd pressed "cancel"; but it does nothing.

That said:  1.1 is coming out very soon.  One of the things they've mentioned is that they're completely redoing the UI, as in "pretty much rebuilding from scratch" (they kinda have to, since they're moving to a new engine).  I wouldn't be at all surprised if this sort of fit-and-finish stuff gets better, because they're writing all new UI from scratch.

So I'm inclined to take a wait-and-see attitude until 1.1 hits.  Then I'm sure there will be plenty of user suggestions on the UX.  :)

I'd prefer to have a key to cancel a two-step action, for examle setting a strut. I often have the situation that I want to set a strut, but my starting point is messed up, or symmetry settings are wrong or something like that. If this happens there's no chance to cancel, you have to find and set an end point first. 

Regards

Tantalus

9 hours ago, Tantalus said:

I'd prefer to have a key to cancel a two-step action, for examle setting a strut. I often have the situation that I want to set a strut, but my starting point is messed up, or symmetry settings are wrong or something like that. If this happens there's no chance to cancel, you have to find and set an end point first. 

Regards

Tantalus

Yea, I already thought of that, sometimes in the design the ESC key would be useful to cancel any part placement that got wrong while attaching to the nodes or near it. Still, I did not want to go much

farther. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.