Model Rocketry Software Advice?

Matuchkin

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about model rocketry. I tried to search around for some FREE (hint, hint) software to simulate my designs, and found OpenRocket (http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/). Elated, I clicked on the download link, but I saw that the program was in a .jar format. To open a .jar file, I need Java, but can't install it because of the requirement of an admin password.

Other reccomendations?

Just now, Camacha said:

Who is your administrator? I think most software will require a password sooner or later. You might want to tackle the problem, rather than work around it.

My admin is my father, and there are a few softwares that don't require passwords, like Celestia.

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

My admin is my father, and there are a few softwares that don't require passwords, like Celestia.

Can you not simply ask him to grant you permission? It might be easier than to work around the problem, only to probably run into it again. Being careful is good, but being fully strict is not necessary. It might help explaining that these kinds of programs are educational.

4 hours ago, Camacha said:

Can you not simply ask him to grant you permission? It might be easier than to work around the problem, only to probably run into it again. Being careful is good, but being fully strict is not necessary. It might help explaining that these kinds of programs are educational.

No matter what I say, It seems like he thinks the game is about "shooting space monsters with lazers" or something. Don't ask.

Edited by Matuchkin

44 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

No matter what I say, It seems like he thinks the game is about "shooting space monsters with lazers" or something. Don't ask.

Are we talking about KSP or OpenRocket now? The latter is not a game, but a tool.

It seems to me you either need a good sit down with your dad, or figure something else out. Looking for things that do not require an administrator password hardly seems a solution. Not least because I could not tell whether something needed a password or not if my life depended on it, which probably goes for most other people too.

Do you know why your father keeps things locked up? Is is fear of malware infections? An attempt to shield you from the dangers of the internet? A trading tool for good and bad behaviour?

Edited by Camacha

7 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Do you know why your father keeps things locked up? Is is fear of malware infections? An attempt to shield you from the dangers of the internet? A trading tool for good and bad behaviour?

I have ADD, and this forum can very well keep me from focusing on my work. I believe it is a correct decision to set up an admin account, for my own good.

Anyways, I did not think this thread will turn into a thread about my family, which I am uncomfortable to discuss with unknown people on the internet (not to insult). I would call @sal_vager to lock this thread.

Thank you for your help.

21 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Anyways, I did not think this thread will turn into a thread about my family, which I am uncomfortable to discuss with unknown people on the internet (not to insult).

Fair enough, and not unwise either. It is just that giving good advice without information becomes troublesome. Plus that I would hate to suggest something that circumvents your parents' intentions.

Good luck nonetheless :)

Edited by Camacha

5 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Fair enough, and not unwise either. It is just that giving good advice without information becomes troublesome. Plus that I would hate to suggest something that circumvents your parents' intentions.

Good luck nonetheless :)

Thank you, you helped me nonetheless. I just need this thread to be locked.