[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

Looking at the "adding a plume to an engine" guide, how do I go about editing the prefab plume to incorporate my own sounds? I'm not much of a coder and i dont know how to create/adjust the EFFECTS node to insert my own sounds. Also it'd be helpful to know how to adjust the running sounds using :FINAL for the module manager node.

Edited by secretly_asian

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to scale the slag from SRBs?  I added 

@MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST[slag]
            {
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 0.3
            }			

to the FOR[zzRealPlume] for my part and it doesn't seem to do anything.

1 hour ago, Kurld said:

{
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 0.3
            }			

Where are you getting that MM code from? Usually for the SRB plumes it follows something similar to this

@PART[partname]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Solid-Lower
        transformName = thrustTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,0
        plumePosition = 0,0,0.2
        fixedScale = 0.8
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEnginesFX
        %powerEffectName = Solid-Lower
    }
}

With variations to which solid plume it is using. Show me your full config for the engine so I can see it all.

11 hours ago, Kurld said:

{
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 0.3
            }			

Trying to do some post processing? The slag effect doesn't have a fixedScale, so @fixedScale won't do anything. You could try %fixedScale but I doubt it will have an effect.

FWIW, if this is for your LES, we never got the SRB plume to look good on it and ended up doing some minor surgery combining the Kerolox-Vernier plume with some srb smoke. Then making three copies of that so each thrust vector could be adjusted independently. Link

On 9/19/2016 at 4:25 AM, Jso said:

Trying to do some post processing? The slag effect doesn't have a fixedScale, so @fixedScale won't do anything. You could try %fixedScale but I doubt it will have an effect.

FWIW, if this is for your LES, we never got the SRB plume to look good on it and ended up doing some minor surgery combining the Kerolox-Vernier plume with some srb smoke. Then making three copies of that so each thrust vector could be adjusted independently. Link

Yeah, it's for the LES. I wasn't super happy with what I came up with, any more than what I had already. Part of it, I'm sure is I've never used RealPlume before now.  But also, I think the way smoke is rendered in this game or in the Unity engine (not sure who is the culprit) will never really look good. I'd almost rather have no smoke, or smoke that dissipates very quickly. But I'll take a look at what y'all came up with for sure.

On 9/18/2016 at 6:42 PM, Nhawks17 said:

Where are you getting that MM code from? Usually for the SRB plumes it follows something similar to this

@PART[partname]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Solid-Lower
        transformName = thrustTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,0
        plumePosition = 0,0,0.2
        fixedScale = 0.8
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEnginesFX
    }
}

With variations to which solid plume it is using. Show me your full config for the engine so I can see it all.

IIRC I derived that code from an example on the RealPlume wiki or whatever.  Here is the full config:

@PART[pkLES_Escape2]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Solid-Lower            	//pre-fabbed plume you want
        transformName = firePoint		//which transform to attach the plume
        localRotation = 0,0,0           //Optional - Any rotation needed
        localPosition = 0,0,0           //Any offset needed
        fixedScale = 0.3                //Size adjustment to resize to engine
        energy = 1                      //Adjust length of plume
        speed = 0.7                     //Adjust speed to fit resize, generally close to 1:1 with scale. 
    }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEnginesFX
    }
}

@PART[pkLES_Escape2]:FOR[zzRealPlume]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @Solid-Lower
        {
            @MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST[plume]
            {
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 0.7
            }
            @MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST[smoke]
            {
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 5.0
            }
            {
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 0.1
            }			
        }
    }
}

3 hours ago, Kurld said:

Yeah, it's for the LES. I wasn't super happy with what I came up with, any more than what I had already. Part of it, I'm sure is I've never used RealPlume before now.  But also, I think the way smoke is rendered in this game or in the Unity engine (not sure who is the culprit) will never really look good. I'd almost rather have no smoke, or smoke that dissipates very quickly. But I'll take a look at what y'all came up with for sure.

IIRC I derived that code from an example on the RealPlume wiki or whatever.  Here is the full config:

@PART[pkLES_Escape2]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Solid-Lower            	//pre-fabbed plume you want
        transformName = firePoint		//which transform to attach the plume
        localRotation = 0,0,0           //Optional - Any rotation needed
        localPosition = 0,0,0           //Any offset needed
        fixedScale = 0.3                //Size adjustment to resize to engine
        energy = 1                      //Adjust length of plume
        speed = 0.7                     //Adjust speed to fit resize, generally close to 1:1 with scale. 
    }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @name = ModuleEnginesFX
    }
}

@PART[pkLES_Escape2]:FOR[zzRealPlume]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @Solid-Lower
        {
            @MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST[plume]
            {
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 0.7
            }
            @MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST[smoke]
            {
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 5.0
            }
            {
                @localPosition = 0,0,0
                @fixedScale = 0.1
            }			
        }
    }
}

Oh okay, the @MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST[slag] part was confusing me as I didn't know what that was. But if I'm remembering correctly the slag scale is scales with the change in the fixedScale node for the whole plume.

10 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Oh okay, the @MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST[slag] part was confusing me as I didn't know what that was. But if I'm remembering correctly the slag scale is scales with the change in the fixedScale node for the whole plume.

It doesn't seem to. I scaled the plume way down and the slag was still the same.

The smoke effects are still so odd looking I don't see any reason to not just stick with stock. I haven't had a chance to look at what @Jso and company came up with for the BDB LES yet, though.

17 minutes ago, Kurld said:

It doesn't seem to. I scaled the plume way down and the slag was still the same.

The smoke effects are still so odd looking I don't see any reason to not just stick with stock. I haven't had a chance to look at what @Jso and company came up with for the BDB LES yet, though.

I was going out of my way to make things smokey. You could try the Solid-Sepmotor plume, that might be scaled a little more appropriately. Or just stick with stock. It really doesn't look bad at all on your parts if you don't want the smoke.

I do like the way smoke looks when you zoom in close. Zoom out and it just looks wrong a lot of the time. The particles just do weird things that usually never line up with the plume once you get moving much.  I'm interested to see what you did because the real-world LES put out lots and lots of smoke!

5 hours ago, the_machemer said:

Is it just me or do the the Smokescreen effects not appear/get dialed back when used with this mod? My rockets don't leave a smoke trail behind them and if I fire the engines on the launch pad I don't generate a huge cloud of smoke.

Thanks

Change the particle limit to a higher number in the SmokeScreen settings.

I installed this, and then uninstalled it, but now my engine effects are messed up in every game.

they don't look like a flame, but more like a bunch of small balls coming out of the engine. they also turn like a giant lever when my ship turns. 

example: http://imgur.com/a/mA771

I tried reinstalling the mod, but that did nothing. is there any way to restore the original effects at least?

Edited by Derwan121

On 9/23/2016 at 7:25 PM, Nhawks17 said:

Change the particle limit to a higher number in the SmokeScreen settings.

It was originally set to 1000 which was apparently adequate. I raised it to 10000 and it didn't actually make a difference in the number of active particles and there was still no smoke. There is smoke coming from engines not touched by RealPlume, such as the Weasley and Goliath jet engines. I tried reinstalling both this mod and Smoke Screen by itself but to no avail. 

On 10/1/2016 at 10:03 AM, Derwan121 said:

I installed this, and then uninstalled it, but now my engine effects are messed up in every game.

they don't look like a flame, but more like a bunch of small balls coming out of the engine. they also turn like a giant lever when my ship turns. 

example: http://imgur.com/a/mA771

I tried reinstalling the mod, but that did nothing. is there any way to restore the original effects at least?

Make sure you uninstall SmokeScreen as well

21 hours ago, the_machemer said:

It was originally set to 1000 which was apparently adequate. I raised it to 10000 and it didn't actually make a difference in the number of active particles and there was still no smoke. There is smoke coming from engines not touched by RealPlume, such as the Weasley and Goliath jet engines. I tried reinstalling both this mod and Smoke Screen by itself but to no avail. 

Would you mind posting some pictures

Is there any way to restore the original plume effects when uninstalling this mod?

I did so, and it still says "plume configured by real plume" at the end of all engines. and when I try them, they have neither sound nor effect.

7 hours ago, Thachyo said:

Is there any way to restore the original plume effects when uninstalling this mod?

I did so, and it still says "plume configured by real plume" at the end of all engines. and when I try them, they have neither sound nor effect.

See the post above yours

18 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

See the post above yours

I already did, and I made sure to uninstall smokescreen, but now all engine effects and sounds are gone.

and, as I already said, it still says "plume configured by real plume" at the end of the decriptions of the affected engines.

14 hours ago, Thachyo said:

I already did, and I made sure to uninstall smokescreen, but now all engine effects and sounds are gone.

and, as I already said, it still says "plume configured by real plume" at the end of the decriptions of the affected engines.

Can you show me a picture of your gamedata and post your KSP.log as well as your output_log.txt

3 hours ago, Thachyo said:

can do.

gamedata:

http://imgur.com/a/QrDql

The logs are too large for pastebin, but I have them on dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7zyvk7fyb1hz2d/Logs.zip?dl=0

Uhhh it seems the realplume files were put into whatever the "zeppedi zoo" mod folder. Go into that and delete all things relating to RealPlume

2 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Uhhh it seems the realplume files were put into whatever the "zeppedi zoo" mod folder. Go into that and delete all things relating to RealPlume

oh, so mods actually load from subfolders? that was supposed to be a quick 'n' dirty holding area, damn.

Edited by Thachyo

2 hours ago, Thachyo said:

oh, so mods actually load from subfolders? that was supposed to be a quick 'n' dirty holding area, damn.

Specific ones can. In this case, the configs use ModuleManager which can read from any folder and thats why you were getting the plume notification at the end of the engines but the effects for the engines were not in the right spot.