[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

NHawks, 

I hit you up on github. Added compatibility configs with Space Launch System, stock version. It's my first pull request; I hope I did it right.

Here's what they look like. Only real 'bug' is that the RL-10B2/C2 bells are expandable (animated), and the plumes' positions are static. So I positioned them where they should be after the bell has expanded, but if they're in their compact state then the plumes' distance from the bell is off. I noticed that RSB has similar expandable upper stages, and the plumes move with the moving bell. Couldn't figure it out though. 

Edited by Nyia

2 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

@Nhawks17, your mod is simply amazing. You've elevated KSP and ensured that I'll keep playing for some time to come.
VhtZpZB.png?1

Glad you're enjoying it, but credit is all @Felger he did all the amazingness here, I'm simply maintaining the mod in his absence :) 

2 hours ago, _Krieger_ said:

Is it normal for some liquid fueled rockets such as RSB's F1s to not have a smoke trail, like the ones in the FASA pack?

yes, there are some engines that don't produce smoke. For example, the recent DeltaIV Heavy launch:

Am I doing something wrong? Cause my SRB plumes (ASL) seem... rather small. 

http://imgur.com/QByyaaa
http://imgur.com/F2j5215

My SRBs were scaled up to 1.875m (dia) using Tweakscale, and from what I know the plume does not resize with Tweakscale. What should I do or how do I go about improving this?

Thanks for this great mod! 

Cheers, 

CM

1 minute ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Am I doing something wrong? Cause my SRB plumes (ASL) seem... rather small. 

http://imgur.com/QByyaaa
http://imgur.com/F2j5215

My SRBs were scaled up to 1.875m (dia) using Tweakscale, and from what I know the plume does not resize with Tweakscale. What should I do or how do I go about improving this?

Thanks for this great mod! 

Cheers, 

CM

Wait what? I feel like you answered your own question here :huh:

7 hours ago, _Krieger_ said:

Yeah, that's strange, I modified the RSB config to be just like the FASA one with no results.

I'll check this and see what's up. It might just be the new plumes introduced a few versions ago and you being used to the old ones.

6 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Wait what? I feel like you answered your own question here :huh:

I'll check this and see what's up. It might just be the new plumes introduced a few versions ago and you being used to the old ones.

Haha. Well, I do strongly suspect that its due to the scaling. But I did want to verify with you since you know your mod MUCH better than I do! :wink:

Is there a way to have Tweakscale also affect plume size??

CM

1 minute ago, Nhawks17 said:

Oh, I didn't know they'd changed. I started using real plume and visual enhancement mods in 1.1 and used to see the fx in videos and screenshots, but thanks for the feedback anyway,great work on this awesome mod.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Haha. Well, I do strongly suspect that its due to the scaling. But I did want to verify with you since you know your mod MUCH better than I do! :wink:

Is there a way to have Tweakscale also affect plume size??

CM

Oh, yes, you're correct that's the cause. The issue is caused from Smokescreen so not until any sort of code is written for that mod to have things scale with tweakscale will we see a fix for this.

To call this mod, even awesome, would be an understatement. It's just excellent to say the least, great work!
Every engine plume looks magnificent and the plumes are positioned right except for a few engines:
the LV-909, the Poodle, the small "spark" engine and the very tiny, radially mounted "ant" engine (can't remember the correct name), where the plume placement is "inside" the engine to a pretty large degree, which makes it look really weird.
I already tried to change the "localPosition" in the settings to various degrees but it didn't change anything there.
Any advice on how I could solve this problem? I would really appreciate help.
Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!

EDIT: here is a picture of the weird plume placement in question: http://imgur.com/PqRPq5A

EDIT 2: Nevermind OP, I solved the problem on my own and it looks good now.

Edited by Jeb9000

@Nhawks17, could you add the root part bug to the known issues list? It's a smokescreen issue where the plume will disappear when the craft is loaded if the engine is a root part. It's especially a problem with capsules with integrated engines. It was reported on the smokescreen bugtracker, but it seems to have been buried.

15 minutes ago, DerpyFirework said:

@Nhawks17, could you add the root part bug to the known issues list? It's a smokescreen issue where the plume will disappear when the craft is loaded if the engine is a root part. It's especially a problem with capsules with integrated engines. It was reported on the smokescreen bugtracker, but it seems to have been buried.

Done!

3 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

Wow!

Pink is not a black body color. Why pink?

Wikipedia says about exhaust temperatures in the range of 2000—3000 K (orange/yellow color). Everything I can find shows it kind of orange:

Reveal hidden contents

nervaTestTb.jpgets2.jpg

Ah, but it's probably so hot and rarified in space that the ionised hydrogen spectra applies - that's kinda pink.

1 hour ago, Weywot8 said:

Ah, but it's probably so hot and rarified in space that the ionised hydrogen spectra applies - that's kinda pink.

Whoa, dude!  I'd not thought of that 'cause it's been a few years.  Yes, thermal nuclear engines often used hydrogen as a propellant.  So light from the exhaust is less black-body radiation and more Balmer-series emission.

Looks fantastic! Plans on adding near future propulsion? I have the mod and it's kinda weird that this is the only popular engine mod thats not supported.

Edited by Artheus