Finally Joining the Workforce!

Endersmens

Well, tomorrow is my first day at Papa John's. This is my first job, and I'm excited. :D No it's not super well paying, but it's a job for a high school student. I'll likely work 4 days a week, amassing ~20 hours per week if I'm lucky. Wish me luck!

@Endersmens: Best of wishes to you. It's always exciting with the first job - I had two jobs during my summers - McDonald's and Block Buster video, both in Hanau, Germany.  Remember those days well... I thought that $220 every two weeks was big money!  Oh, by the way, I'll be placing my order soon!

@Dman979: Could be worse... I worked for the clown!

The first earned cash is something special. I bought my PC from my first money. Are those Pizza Guys paying you well? Here (in Germany) its way better to work a few weeks at a factory, e.g. from VW or Daimler than to work a few hours each week at a supermarket or restaurant. Due to strong labor unions the pay at Daimler/WV and other metall-working factorys is insanely high. 15€/h is quite much when you come from school without any skills...

Its a pinch over minimum wage in the US, but it's for easy work. Answer the phone, take orders, throw cheese and pepperoni on some dough. When I start driving when I turn 18 I'll be making a bit more hourly, plus tips, plus gas reimbursement.

1 hour ago, Endersmens said:

Its a pinch over minimum wage in the US, but it's for easy work. Answer the phone, take orders, throw cheese and pepperoni on some dough. When I start driving when I turn 18 I'll be making a bit more hourly, plus tips, plus gas reimbursement.

Make sure your car insurance allows you to use the car for commercial uses. I've had friends utterly screwed when their insurance not only didn't cover them for a break-in or accident, but slapped them with fees and fines for violating their insurance contract.

On January 27, 2016 at 0:12 PM, Endersmens said:

Good luck to you!  Oh, do you mean that the company won't allow you to drive on the job until you are 18?

6 hours ago, Dispatcher said:

Good luck to you!  Oh, do you mean that the company won't allow you to drive on the job until you are 18?

Yep. Age limit is 18, license and insurance required (obviously) and no beard. :P

Edited by Endersmens

On 29/01/2016 at 0:29 PM, Nuke said:

i had a job once, but i quit. its just not worth it.

Unless you go full hunter-gatherer or decide to become a full time beggar, it is inevitable. Though that sounds like jobs are always terrible. If you find something that you like to do, they can actually be really satisfying.

39 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Unless you go full hunter-gatherer or decide to become a full time beggar, it is inevitable. Though that sounds like jobs are always terrible. If you find something that you like to do, they can actually be really satisfying.

...and that's why you need to go to school, kids.

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

School helps, but also be sure to enjoy what you do. Enjoying something often means being pretty good at it, which is a sure-fire way of getting somewhere.

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

i do have a degree you know. school is not enough, you also have to be not insane. now where did i put that squirrel stick.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.