[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, awesome! Let me know when those are ready and I'll push them into BDB. 

For your weather experiment, our SEP weather station does pretty much the same thing, with the temperature, wind-speed, humidity, and air pressure. I don't know how @AlbertKermin feels but if he's ok with it I think the definitions would be appropriate.

The one I was talking about was an orbiting weather satellite like TIROS, which used a television camera to monitor the weather. Think more like 'birds eye view tracking of hurricanes and tropical storms that you can see from orbit' type stuff. Like I said, it was really pioneering for developing practical applications of space that help people back on earth. So a bit different.

I'll have to look at that! The only difference is that my part doesn't require the setup of SEP. It takes me too long to write scienceDefs because I read too much into them.

I would definitely generate TIROS-like missions as contracts requiring. You could have hurricane tracking contracts (Maybe using Contracts Configuration), wildfires, algae surveys, etc. I can take a crack at it.

EDIT: KerBallons integration for weather balloons? Just a thought

Edited by akron

3 minutes ago, akron said:

I'll have to look at that! The only difference is that my part doesn't require the setup of SEP. It takes me too long to write scienceDefs because I read too much into them.

I would definitely generate TIROS-like missions as contracts requiring. You could have hurricane tracking contracts (Maybe using Contracts Configuration), wildfires, algae surveys, etc. I can take a crack at it.

EDIT: KerBallons integration for weather balloons? Just a thought

I think you're thinking a bit past the scope of what I suggested haha. I just meant have a part to represent developing, testing, and demonstrating the technology. Like I said, there are already long term weather satellite contracts in Mission Controller 2. :) 

I meant use the sciencedefs entries, if @AlbertKermin approves. The flavor text doesn't reference the EVA/KAS aspect of SEP, and they're written with the assumption that the weather station has the same instruments as the one you proposed.

I want to run a KerBalloon on EVE.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think you're thinking a bit past the scope of what I suggested haha. I just meant have a part to represent developing, testing, and demonstrating the technology. Like I said, there are already long term weather satellite contracts in Mission Controller 2. :) 

I meant use the sciencedefs entries, if @AlbertKermin approves. The flavor text doesn't reference the EVA/KAS aspect of SEP, and they're written with the assumption that the weather station has the same instruments as the one you proposed.

I want to run a KerBalloon on EVE.

I am a master over thinker!

I'll reach out to ask permission to use ScienceDefs. I actually haven't used SEP yet because I had some glitchiness with KIS that I think is resolved now. I think the weather station is part of the Lander pack so I have a little while before I get to it.

Kerballoons is awesome, I just don't know how to implement it. I am thinking a balloon attachment instead of a parachute to my Huygens probe

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm considering this a referral :sticktongue:

Update:

The lander/rover pack is now called "Probes Plus! Ground Ops" Here's a logo:

UOkNLZ4.png

Anyway, enough of that...

I modeled two science experiments. First (left) is SWIS or Solar Wind Science. This one is modeled after MAVEN's experiment. The texture is just for color idea except the mesh, that's final. To the right of that is ELIX or Electrostatic and Ionization Experiment. This one is based on Ranger. These experiments actually work well together because solar wind plasma interactions with the atmosphere are the cause of atmospheric ionization, the result of which is the famous Aurora Borealis or Northern lights! ELIX and the UV spectrometer will be good instruments to bring along to analyze atmospheric conditions of bodies around the solar system. The ScienceDefs are almost done. There is some more work to do for the GRS, InfraRed, and SWIS. Everything else I think is done, yay! The science/KSP 1.1 update is slowly starting to take shape. Feedback welcome!

HXyQy6H.png

Edited by akron

I'm turning my science intake down to like 5% just to make sure I have every excuse possible to use every one of all these wonderful science experiments modders are putting out. Wheeee!

They look great. I'm a fan of yellow so the gold suits my fancy

10 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I'm turning my science intake down to like 5% just to make sure I have every excuse possible to use every one of all these wonderful science experiments modders are putting out. Wheeee!

They look great. I'm a fan of yellow so the gold suits my fancy

Good plan! I always forget to do this on my career saves. There will be some new experiments in the Ground Ops pack as well.

Quick Update

I did another quick model tonight. This time it is my version of HiRISE from Mars Recon Orbiter, the Reconnaissance Orbital Telescoping Focus Lens or CA-ROTFL. This is to compliment DMagic's telescope by providing a slightly more compact option that attaches perpendicular to the surface rather than parallel like his. This will stick out more than his but provides a different design that you don't have to clip to get it to face away from the attachement surface. Texture is wip, blah blah

~Cheers

1OGxh5k.png

Edited by akron

17 hours ago, Felbourn said:

Stuff like this is what I needed when I did my Juno RSS mission. I love that you guys are all making these things for my future missions. Great job.

I have a Juno/Kepler probe planned if you want to do a Juno-2 mission :D

1 minute ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

Just a question on the rovers, when you get round to the curiosity rover, will you animate the robo arm or make it controllable (like ir)?

The plan is to have an animated experiment. There is no point in having such a complex mechanism since KSP does not have a system where you can sample rocks or soil. It's all Biome based, so having the functionality other than for RP value is a waste. I will try to incorporate some reasons for exploration through contract missions. Either my own or one of the many great contract packs available.

All of this Science could get the Kuarqs all hot and bothered. Especially the Retrograde Kuarqs, those little deviants ... :wink: 

Seriously though, nice going with getting these mods updated quickly. Gotta have our Sciencey stuff!

12 hours ago, BetaguyGZT said:

All of this Science could get the Kuarqs all hot and bothered. Especially the Retrograde Kuarqs, those little deviants ... :wink: 

Seriously though, nice going with getting these mods updated quickly. Gotta have our Sciencey stuff!

Awesome! thank you! This next update will concentrate on and include most if not all of the mod's science stuff (Not including the lander/rover science from Ground Ops). More than being up your alley, it think it will be your alley.

~Cheers

I saw you were posting around the forums. Was waiting to see if you had new screenshots. :)

3 minutes ago, akron said:

More than being up your alley, it think it will be your alley.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EDIT: How on earth did a '1' get into that quote? It's not even in the editable field for the quote, it's in the gray spacer below it!

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

I saw you were posting around the forums. Was waiting to see if you had new screenshots. :)

I do not yet. I spent the last couple of day playing the game to get a feel for some of new mechanics for a couple of Mods. Also trying to play with MCE2 since I never had before (And SEP, FYI) so I can get a feel for the science progress available. I think tonight I will work on the RPWS, dust experiment and then go back to utility parts or UV mapping. I have a couple of solar panels that I want to also add to this release.

Just now, akron said:

I do not yet. I spent the last couple of day playing the game to get a feel for some of new mechanics for a couple of Mods. Also trying to play with MCE2 since I never had before (And SEP, FYI) so I can get a feel for the science progress available. I think tonight I will work on the RPWS, dust experiment and then go back to utility parts or UV mapping. I have a couple of solar panels that I want to also add to this release.

Sounds awesome! I still have to finish a bunch of probe stuff, mostly half finished antennas and probe cores. I'm not particularly feeling them right now though. :P Focus has starting shifting over to, uh, bigger things.

39 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sounds awesome! I still have to finish a bunch of probe stuff, mostly half finished antennas and probe cores. I'm not particularly feeling them right now though. :P Focus has starting shifting over to, uh, bigger things.

If you ever get the time to fiddle with the BDB probe parts, it would be awesome if you finished with the Mariner dish (Unless you did and I just missed it :D)

23 minutes ago, akron said:

If you ever get the time to fiddle with the BDB probe parts, it would be awesome if you finished with the Mariner dish (Unless you did and I just missed it :D)

No I never had a chance to finish it. I got caught up in the MOS stuff. 

Update

Greetings! I know progress has been slow, but I have tried to at least keep it steady. Even without playing the game today I had less Maya time than I wanted to. So, as planned, tonight's first (an only) business was the Radio-Plasma Wave Science experiment modeled after Cassini-Huygens. It will honestly not be different from DMagic's awesome experiment. It is just an alternate design with different dimensions for your consideration. This is another one of DMagic Orbital Science alternates that will make it in. I am anxious to get this update finished up so I am thinking about stopping with new science after the dust sample collector. A couple more utility parts, UV mapping, textures, and the update will be a wrap for testing. With this in mind, the rest of the DMOS alternatives will just be a part of a future update, probably alongside the SCANSat parts. Remember, DMOS is a pre-req so everyone will have a version of those experiments. 

Here is a small album. Texture is temp, yadda, yadda... I haven't decided how to color the antenna assemblies yet. I tried the Mod's "trademark" gold foil and it looked awful, so let me know what you think. You might have to view it on imgur or "full-res"

EDIT: Funny thing. I constantly dyslexicate RPWS as RWPS. When looking for reference images I accidentally searched for "cassini rwps" and a bunch of pictures from my mod showed up on the search! :D 

Edited by akron