Books???

Kertech

9 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

If you're into dystopian I would recommend Farenheit 451. It's a bit frightening.... But in deep ways.

Good call on that recommendation.

You could also add Orwell's 1984 and Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron to the list of dystopian fiction that I'd recommend.

All 3 have movie adaptions too.

Edited by pxi

13 hours ago, Ehco Corrallo said:

"Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major, it was all three." 

The proper line ends: "With Major Major it had been [emphasis mine] all three." It's a sad day when I misquote things. Or not. Whichever. 

Edited by Ehco Corrallo

5 hours ago, pxi said:

Good call on that recommendation.

You could also add Orwell's 1984 and Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron to the list of dystopian fiction that I'd recommend.

All 3 have movie adaptions too.

1984 is fantastic, if horrifically depressing, and I'll be the next to corroborate the recommendation of Fahrenheit 451

C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy is pretty deep and philosophical, but it's a good read. 

I don't think All Quiet on the Western Front has been recommended yet, so I'll do that now. Again, pretty heavy, but terrifically written. 

Edited by Ehco Corrallo

14 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Same here, great series.  I've not read that many of her other books though, but one of her short stories was about the deep space survey team that named Pern, and that line looks interesting.

That would be in The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, which also includes the rescue of some original colonists and a few other stories. And btw, P.E.R.N. = 

Spoiler

Parallel Earth, Resources Negligible (at least, not enough to interest the mining conglomerates, but enough for an agrarian society)

I always hoped she would write something along the line of the "Chronicles.... Final Fall" which would include...

Spoiler

... the dragons bringing the smaller colony ships down to the surface, which AIVAS never considered.

Edit: Back on topic: I second the recommendations for Catch-22 and Farenheit 451. For something completely and punnily different, there's also Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.