Custom MK-3 cockpits

This project began when i had the idea of making some small and simple aircrafts, but since i am apparently unable to do simple designs (cuz they are so boring), i desided to spice things up a bit by making some custom cockpit designs for the aircrafts.

Currently there are only 2 design but i will make more in the future so be on the lookout for that.

First up we have the Kondor cockpit that i designed for the KPP-700 Kondor.

The Kondor is a 40x40x13 m quad engined passenger aircraft with a top speed of about 220 m/s in low altitude.

lMPIpLe.png

6fDWQj4.png

nIX8CKS.png

The cockpit does look a bit messy in terms of its colours. You could try using the Kerbpaint mod but it doesn't support all the newest parts.

Next up we have the Skytrain cockpit that i designed to be used in cargo aircrafts, but you can of course use it in anything you like.

The KTP-110 Skytrain is a 39x37x8 m Cargo aircraft with a top speed of about 240 m/s

JWsjqja.png

5KpMksQ.png

K4rQzOz.png

DRZeBKZ.png

Both of these cockpits do look pretty good if you ask me (bit messy on the colours tough) and also have a pretty good visibility in terms of the IVA view (the new mk-1 cockpit doesnt have iva view yet).

You have to remember that these cockpit designs are a bit heavy (24,7 tons including the 15 ton fueltank in to witch it was built for the kondor cockpit) and not that part friendly (100 parts for the Kondor cockpit and 72 for the Skytrain cockpit).

Here is the new addition, the Jumbo cockpit witch as you might have quessed is based on the B-747 cockpit.

QAHklZA.png

The dry weight is 13.7 tons. The shape is not perfect but i think it ended up looking pretty good, aka this time its a little more clean in terms of its colour

7NzVl0g.png

AvwzqU7.png

Just happened to have a 747 laying around so i used it instead of building a new one, but i have plans on building a 1:1 747 replica in the future.

7rpN2qe.png

this time instead of just doing a cockpit and slapping an of the self aircraft on the back i instead did a replica aircraft.

So, presenting the KL-760 Kandid. Actually the one on the picks is the K-50 mainstay, but the aircraft that is for download is fully stock.

Its not a 1:1 replica since it would have been way outta shape, so instead its about 10x10m  more smaller than the real thing.

Long story short it flies really well, has a top speed of 100m/s in low altitude and has a very short range thanks to the "Wheesley" engines witch suck big time.

R25IvmI.png

It takes of really quick and has some pretty amazing slow speed capabilities, aka it is still controllable at speeds of about 40-50 m/s witch makes landing a breeze.

PlSHwLQ.png

Osdic4p.png

1r0Wwax.png

The wheesley engines ended up sucking some much fuel durning this flight (bout 1700-1800 units of it) that it became a taildragger, witch caused that durning the takeoff the aircraft went off course and first hit the control tower and then the hangar.

And ow yea, i needed about 26 or so different air intakes to meet the wheesleys high intake air requirements (66 units/second).

That and overheating issues was the reason why i didnt put engines inside one another to boost the top speed.

I will keep making more of these in the future. I already have plans for some more classic looking cockpits (FW-200, DC-3,etc), more modern ones (MD-11,B-747,Chinook,etc) and some others as well.

if you have any suggestions/ideas for other cockpit designs for the MK-3 line just leave a comment. And if you think these are too useless and messy looking to use, well you now the drill.

So i hope you enjoy these little cockpits of mine.

Download links: (Aircrafts not included, these are only the cockpit subassemblies)

Kondor cockpit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mefbmoleo6kkyne/MK-3%20%27%27Kondor%27%27%20cockpit.craft?dl=0

Skytrain cockpit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdhjfwd706gukug/MK-3%20%27%27Skytrain%27%27%20cockpit.craft?dl=0

Jumbo cockpit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ud0baindme0ntsm/MK-3%20%27%27Jumbo%27%27%20cockpit.craft?dl=0

Download links: (This time the whole aircraft)

KL-760 Kandid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ut5piae9g971sv/KL-760%20Kandid.craft?dl=0

Edited by kapteenipirk
KL-760 is here

On 4.2.2016 at 1:25 AM, selfish_meme said:

I suggest you use more curved radiator parts, you can make them seem almost seamless, and curved, and I have been working on Kerbpaint, it now supports a lot more of the newer parts.

Thanks for the idea (dunno why i didn't think of that), the new Jumbo cockpit has been made with this in mind.

I would love to see the kerbpaint mod support all the stock parts. last time i checked (about 2 weeks ago) the newest version of the mod didnt support any MK-3 parts nor almost any of the wings.

On 5.2.2016 at 2:59 AM, Majorjim said:

I love a custom cockpit me. These are some nice examples. Maybe spend a bit more time getting the parts looking a little cleaner though. If you make it really seamless you wont need anything like Kerpaint.

Thanks. with that in mind and with the idea given by selfish_meme, the new Jumbo cockpit that i just made is a lot more clean in terms of its shape and colour.

1 hour ago, kapteenipirk said:

Thanks for the idea (dunno why i didn't think of that), the new Jumbo cockpit has been made with this in mind.

I would love to see the kerbpaint mod support all the stock parts. last time i checked (about 2 weeks ago) the newest version of the mod didnt support any MK-3 parts nor almost any of the wings.

Thanks. with that in mind and with the idea given by selfish_meme, the new Jumbo cockpit that i just made is a lot more clean in terms of its shape and colour.

There is no new version, I have been updating the configs and starting to work on the masks, if you go to the end of the thread you can find a download, I am doing a lot of updating so keep watching.

Also you should get the editor extensions mod and the no offset limits mod, these will allow you to reduce those part counts way down and be more precise in your positioning, none of us work without them.

On 5.2.2016 at 11:25 AM, selfish_meme said:

There is no new version, I have been updating the configs and starting to work on the masks, if you go to the end of the thread you can find a download, I am doing a lot of updating so keep watching.

Also you should get the editor extensions mod and the no offset limits mod, these will allow you to reduce those part counts way down and be more precise in your positioning, none of us work without them.

Alright, ive put the kerbpaint mod on my follow list.

The no offset limits mod would be quite useful indeed so i might get that.

Part count is not my biggest concern right now, im just going for maximum detail at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.2.2016 at 11:23 PM, selfish_meme said:

Oh yeah I forgot, about this, I wanted to show you a 2.5m custom cockpit I made that I think turned out pretty good, I also have a way to color the fairings.

DeepElegantAmericansaddlebred.gif

I love your AWAC's, you could probably make the Radome out of fairings too.

Sorry for the late reply, this one slipped trough. Anyway. Its a pretty nice looking thing, Perfect for those with more low end computers. Reminds me a lot of the old cockpit i used for the 747.

4B75P6m.png

• 4 months later...

I've been making these for a while too!

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:59 PM, Majorjim said:

I love a custom cockpit me. These are some nice examples. Maybe spend a bit more time getting the parts looking a little cleaner though. If you make it really seamless you wont need anything like Kerpaint.

Dude you are just in every topic omg

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

I'm sad it broke but looking at it again I would love to make another.

Ya I love making tiny bi planes and aircraft with custom cockpits. It's a challenge to make them maneuverable and fly well, but its a fun one at that.

17 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Ya I love making tiny bi planes and aircraft with custom cockpits. It's a challenge to make them maneuverable and fly well, but its a fun one at that.

Speaking of challenges, would be nice to see someone make a challenge to build a space/airplane with a custom cockpit. I'm quite terrible with building planes with structural plates and wings but it is an idea.

7 hours ago, Firemetal said:

build a space/airplane with a custom cockpit.

I did make one before KSP V1.0 the Eagle SSTO that got a lot of attention. It has a micro ion craft inside that could fly from LKO to land on Mun and return to LKO.  vid below:

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, Firemetal said:

when you build stuff with structural parts, where do you start???!

At the beginning! :D

You just need to start and not be afraid to make mistakes. And you can always change the root part later now so its even easier than before.

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

At the beginning! :D

You just need to start and not be afraid to make mistakes. And you can always change the root part later now so its even easier than before.

Ugh I need a tutorial. -.-

I have. Was inspired by mr.overfloater's videos on YouTube.  I will keep trying but it's tough for me.

Been having trouble with re-entry heat so it would be good but I am horrible at that stuff!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.