KSP: Crash every 5 minutes or so

Hello. I am trying to run KSP with about a gigabyte of mods, and it crashes a lot when changing screens, like from the overview to VAB or reverting flights.

Here is my error.log: http://pastebin.com/hghtLBmE

I don't think it happens because of full memory, because it took around 1,6GB of RAM at the time of the crash. 

What could it be? I am using Active Texture Management, Dynamic Texture Loader AND running KSP in OpenGL mode. 

Actualy, first crash log is usefull too. This part:

Write to location 01000000 caused an access violation.

It happens when you are out of free memory location and game no longer can reserve memory and write something in that location.

Try to force openGL or DX11 mode to reduce time stamp and/or reduce amount of mods. There is pinned thread that gives more info about some solutions regarding memory usage. I can recommend you some memory usage monitor to help you figure out when game is going to CTD.

EDIT:

Didn't see that you are already forcing openGL. ATM is having little usage because a lot of mods and stock textures are already converted to DDS. Try to use graphic memory monitor to get more clue about memory usage. Also try to reduce terrain details to low - this can also be a source of memory leaks.

Edited by kcs123

6 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Actualy, first crash log is usefull too. This part:

It happens when you are out of free memory location and game no longer can reserve memory and write something in that location.

Try to force openGL or DX11 mode to reduce time stamp and/or reduce amount of mods. There is pinned thread that gives more info about some solutions regarding memory usage. I can recommend you some memory usage monitor to help you figure out when game is going to CTD.

EDIT:

Didn't see that you are already forcing openGL. ATM is having little usage because a lot of mods and stock textures are already converted to DDS. Try to use graphic memory monitor to get more clue about memory usage. Also try to reduce terrain details to low - this can also be a source of memory leaks.

I see, but how did it crash because of no memory, if it had around 1,6 GB of it reserved? I saw that in the Resource Manager. And it stays around 1,5 to 1,8 GB.

Key word is "had". On each scene change small amount of memory is reserved but never released. I found huge impact with trees. Some other objects/textures etc. also reserve small chunk of memory that is never set free. Unability to release memory properly when some object is no longer needed is called "memory leak".

With carefully written code it does not happen. However there is problem with unity game engine as a whole, not only with SQUAD piece of code for this game. When you call function to release some object in memory to make some room for new object some small chunk of memory is never become available again for game engine that can be use for new objects.

Amount of memory in resource manager will not increase, but overall memory usage is increased by small chunk all times until game CTD.
You can watch this with already mentioned tools like graphic memory monitor. With my currently installed mods, memory usage on first main menu is just slightly below 3 GB. I can play game for hour or two before it reach critical area between 3.5 to 3.7 GB until CTD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.