Pathfinder UFO Base

Geschosskopf

Great stuff! Love the whole "base in an awesome transport plane" concept, and superb execution including documentation of both human and machine errors. 9/10, would base again.... Junior has played with the OPM parts and loves them, but we did find it makes our install crash-prone. 

Thanks.  This was just field-testing of OPT (not OPM, that's Sarnus and Co.) and Pathfinder, no real point to it or story behind it.  But it did require enough time and effort to qualify as a mission so I figured I'd post it up.

Thanks for turning me on to Pathfinder.  I'll be using that in my post-1.1 serious games once it gets updated.  I suspect that 1.1 will require major changes to everything related to KAS/KIS, however, so that might be a while.

As for OPT, yeah, wicked parts but serious lag beasts.  That big plane itself only had about 40 parts in total but produced obscenely low FPS, worse than the whole base once I got that built.

Edited by Geschosskopf
forgot to mention Pathfinder

Oh yeah, Pathfinder will receive top priority once 1.1 hits. It will take a bit to rework once I find out what Squad changed. I think there might be a modeling error of some sort with those wheels, not sure. Have to do some experiments. But I have ideas on an extender piece forthe Switchback that also provides a mounting point for stuff, and might offset the inflatable airlocks a bit too. Ran into the same problem you did when building out the latest base for Duna Space Program...

21 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Oh yeah, Pathfinder will receive top priority once 1.1 hits. It will take a bit to rework once I find out what Squad changed.

And I suppose you'll also have to wait some on KAS/KIS, too.  Anyway, glad you're committed to putting in the work.  I really like Pathfinder.

21 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I think there might be a modeling error of some sort with those wheels, not sure. Have to do some experiments. But I have ideas on an extender piece forthe Switchback that also provides a mounting point for stuff, and might offset the inflatable airlocks a bit too. Ran into the same problem you did when building out the latest base for Duna Space Program...

Well, the Switchback is pretty versatile right now.  I stick 4x Golddiggers and 4x radiators on it no problem to make a small drilling unit before the base has enough power to run a Claim Jumper.

The airlock alignment problem is a bit bothersome.  That's why I gave this base a real front door using a Ponderosa instead of using 4 Casas all on a Switchback.  That way, I'd always know which pod the Kerbal ended up in once he went inside. But I prefer the 4x Casa layout for Kraken-proofing.  The shorter you make chains of pods, the less the Kraken is interested in the base :).  If you use a Ponderosa, you have to hang all the other pods off it, creating longer chains.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I love the look of the domes!  After 1.1 comes out I'm going to have to look into this one

Very cool project!!!

Thanks!  

Pathfinder is a wonderful mod and I'm kicking myself for not getting into it earlier  Even if you don't use it for any life support, ISRU, or geoscience purposes, it's still a collection of spiffy base parts that all fold up neatly into convenient shipping containers that can be carried anywhere by anything, and are WAY easier to assemble than the absolute Hell of trying to dock rigid base modules on uneven ground.  I recall looking at the OP of Pathfinder when it 1st came out and must have been too drunk to comprehend it because I thought it was all about geoscience and nothing else.  Thus, I paid it no attention.  My bad.

Edited by Geschosskopf
typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.