Space Shuttle only jet engines!

There are many Space Shuttle Challenges out there, but this one is unique. For this one, you must get a shuttle into some kind of orbit, using nothing but jet engines.

Modes:

Easy: You are allowed two SRBs 

Normal: only jet engines.

Hard: land it as well

Crazy: achieve escape velocity

Impossible: land on Duna!

I am going to add my results in the next day or so.

Not even sure if this is possible, but it's always fun to try.

Rules:

No Rapiers

Mods allowed:

F.A.R., or any mod that IMPROVES physics

No OP Engines

Only use debug menu for  ignoring maximum temperature.

Good luck!

Hi @notsodeadjeb, and welcome aboard!

I think that you might want to consider the limitations of jet engines. While they have a high in-atmosphere Isp, their space performance is horrible, mainly because of the amount of Air they consume.

I think that people will want to see your submission before attempting to try this themselves. Good luck!

Oh...RCS is allowed.

I am only allowing ignore max temp because, in my experience, to get a jet into orbit, you have to go fast while your still in the atmosphere. And....... thast tends to make you experience tremendous amounts of heat. If you want to try doing this without that, more power to you! 

1 hour ago, notsodeadjeb said:

..... For this one, you must get a shuttle into some kind of orbit, using nothing but jet engines.

Modes:

Easy: You are allowed two SRBs

Hmm, lets see.....

Some kind of Shuttle, Check!

Jet engines, check!

2 * SRB, check!

Flameproof suit: check. (and boy, i'm gonna need it!)

The Launch

Spoiler

Hey, the rulez just say "Shuttle, 2 SRB, jet engines"

Kw30DGL.jpg

Spoiler

Jets are good to about 35Km alt, 1200-ish m/s

After that, DROP the jets. Wot, you want me to take my airbreather jets to the *vacuum* of *space*? I'm not daft!

7dvEimx.jpg

Spoiler

Second SRB igniting. See the first SRB stage in the back?

Altitude of 132Km, 1050m/s in the bag, and another 3066m/s in the can! This baby is going places!

FUwgaYY.jpg

Spoiler

The final orbit is out past EVE.

It could have been out past Eeloo, if I had a better roadmap.

dxF0LtU.jpg

Spoiler

And finally, the image of the shuttle. This is why the use of the Spoiler tags, and why the flameproof suit.

This is a "some sort of Shuttle", isnt it?

tECHHGK.png

07VqTBI.jpg

Edited by MarvinKitFox

21 minutes ago, notsodeadjeb said:

the thought was that you would go fast enough in the atmosphere to glide into orbit.

I know how jets work

Perhaps, but did you consider that there is what is called a maximum ceiling at which any given engine can operate ... There is a point at which the thrust required to keep you moving up in altitude is more than the thrust you can get at said altitude

This challenge isn't possible with stock parts and physics beyond Easy. Whiplashes have terrible falloff beyond 1400 m/s which is only half of orbital velocity. Make sure people announce the mods they're using so it's obvious how they did it.

The only engine that has an acceptable power curve is the Rapier, which isn't allowed. So no one will be going into space on jets alone with stock parts and no mods, period. Guess this is only for FAR users or something mysterious that allows higher velocities.

Edited by Raideur Ng

If it's LITERALLY only jets, it's not possible with stock. With 'RCS', does that mean only monopropellant or only RCS thrusters? Either way, to get another 1400 m/s, you'll just have to spam RCS.

pointy_RCS.jpg

This got into orbit easily with jet engines and RCS thrusters. There are 8 Vernor thrusters embedded in the wing. You may need to rethink your challenge.

Edited by Raideur Ng

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.