Mechanical Mouse Industries Development Thread.

Dani-Sang

9h6f88.jpg

Releases can be found here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=15439.0

INTRODUCTION

It was time to come back ones again to Kerbal since all the recent changes. I made a few parts before but it was difficult for me to create them since C4D and .DEA don\'t really go along well with eachother (Smooth option didn\'t work for me either :/). Neither was animation a part of the package which made me sad. However I figured that Unity & Cinema4D do work great with eachother (acording to website of Unity) and more types of texture files are support + animation. This gave me the drive to give it another try and polish up my 3d skills to a next level.

What you going to make?

I made a little PDF document about the future visions: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15093.0;attach=24762

Misc:

- 2x Command Modules: Probes & Satellites

- 3/4x Different Solar Panels

- 3/4x Communication Devices

- 3x Scientific Modules (no use yet, but they look sexy as hell)

- External Liquid Gas tank.

- External RCS tank

- 2x Lights

- 2x Landing Legs

- 3/4x different satellite hulls for added customisation.

The Big Stuff (which will contain multiple parts):

- Cargo Container (to hide and protect your satellites & probes).

- Orbital Crash Probe

- Rover with additonal landing Gear

- Rover special Decendence Pod (which you can use for other probes as well)

Everything is looking nice and simple this far, good job.

You might want to split the main body into multiple parts to allow for more customization, simply having the larger end-caps as separate bits might be enough.

Everything is looking nice and simple this far, good job.

You might want to split the main body into multiple parts to allow for more customization, simply having the larger end-caps as separate bits might be enough.

I will take that into consideration... EDIT: (and after a good brainstorm, I think I will head that direction)

Update!

Main body is now customizable too and in this picture it consist out of 3 pieces. Pictures explain by themselves. Remember, this is one way to customize a satellite and many more options will eventually come.

Description of each part, full description of a part will come when it is finished.

106ca6o.jpg

During Animation

2pplph5.jpg

Fully Deployed

15hbbbp.jpg

- Solar panels will be able to fuel electricity and zoxygen(?).

This is possible. In fact, I added half a line in code because I thought someone could ever want to do that and even tested it ;P

Thank the internet for having great stock images. But I\'ve a question for those who know.

Which texture maps are supported within KSP? Because all the info that I see about it is a bit confusing.

In the meanwhile, a texture update!

fcusfp.jpg

The Solar Panels, as good as finished with modeling, animating and texture-ring for the moment. They are even slighty transparent (with alpha channel) as you can see below. Also they have a specular & bumpmap. Even tho the specular isn\'t working as I want it, but that is for later concern.

I know the solar cells are bigger then they should be. However it looked very nice and depending on the feedback, I might make them more 'realistic'

332qm8h.jpg

Update:

Battery finished for now. Has bump & specular map. Ones again slighty different from what I had in mind, to assure I wouldn\'t go overboard with polygons and also making texturing more difficult.

98gga0.jpg

the command module will be unmanned?

That is the plan yes. Something along the lines like the mechjeb modules. But it doesn\'t stop you from using the parts on your manned spacecraft.

New Update:

As good as done with all the textures for all the parts. However I\'m not 100% happy with it yet, specially not the gas tanks and the hull. Probably have to look something else then the geopattern. Also these images are within cinema 4d and with high resolution textures, it probably won\'t look this good in the game, but it gives you an idea/feeling how it should turn out eventually.

2q2om60.jpg

25s4sie.jpg

Gas tanks will have different colors for what they are meaned. Orange for liquid fuel, yellow for RCS, blue for oxygen etc etc.

25hz6u9.jpg

That is the plan yes. Something along the lines like the mechjeb modules. But it doesn\'t stop you from using the parts on your manned spacecraft.

ah no no, i want a command pod unmannned. It\'s strange to send into orbit three kerbonaut into a permanent satellite :D

This is nice : ) Man, I know you are doing your best already, but PLEASE do keep the poly count down! I mean, another 'nice looking strut' like the Robotics, and I will stop using the damn game altogether. You know what I mean...

This is nice : ) Man, I know you are doing your best already, but PLEASE do keep the poly count down! I mean, another 'nice looking strut' like the Robotics, and I will stop using the damn game altogether. You know what I mean...

They are all low poly. Hulls have the same poly count as the ones ingame. The Solar panel has less then 100 poly\'s and the only thing that has a lot of poly atm is the com-dish with is getting at 800, however I can make it a lot less (and which I will). Don\'t worry about the poly count :).

Time to make some more parts and these are the models already and they are animated already. Just need texture.

First:

Deployable Habitational Module. Can be used for any base whether on space or on the ground. When it expands you increase its capacity 3x.

312ivwh.jpg

And landing legs, meaned for heavy duty jobs like a moonar base.

zko8cy.jpg