Crash after WIN10 upgrade

Hi guys,

I´m asking for help or at least to confirm my idea :)

My computer is a little bit old so im pretty sure that is the main reason of problems. Still i would like to ask if it is the only reason why my random crashes occur.

Situation look like this .. Game just crash to black death usually during scene change like from building to complex scene or during loading craft.

I would say i do have pretty weak computer right ? :D but few things look strange to me ..

It doesnt matter if it is vanilla install, or (heavy cleaned vanilla install (manualy removed like 90% of parts)) or heavy moded game .. and im talking about RSS with its all glory graphic stuff (ok not all) . The game crash in all cases in pretty same rate ... it will load like 3-4 times (no matter how big craft or scene) before that happen.

Problems started when i upgraded from WIN XP to WIN 10 (yeah i know win 10 take a lot more stuff from my com than win 10)

I just had "stable" gameplay with -200 parts before on win XP .... and now it crash no matter what wery offten :D

Is there problem just with computer or is there something else ? thats the question ...

(sorry for crappy english)

Error logs and other stuff: for clean ksp 1.0.5 install
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/icpnvanglfvr3pf/AAB-eYMRl3FlFAi8HUuTEu3Ga?dl=0%C2%A7

KSP 1.0.5 Steam install

Old pal:

Operating System: Win 10 home 32bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 3,00 RAM
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series

Hi @REMD, I can't see what's causing the issue, but I do know that Windows 10 will roll back graphics drivers to earlier versions, as this has happened to a lot of KSP players so far.

Even if Windows claims the driver is up to date it's worth reinstalling them anyway.

Trouble is there's no Windows 10 driver for your card, the last one from AMD is the legacy driver for Windows 8.

AMD dropped support for the HD 4xxx series and earlier quite a while ago, and will soon also drop the HD 5xxx cards.

I think it's time to upgrade, sorry.

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

but I do know that Windows 10 will roll back graphics drivers to earlier versions, as this has happened to a lot of KSP players so far.

Win10 rolled back a driver only once on me: During the Build 1511 upgrade. Build 1511 was an in-place upgrade like the original in-place upgrades from 7-10 or 8.1-10, so (I suspect) for stability it puts stock drivers back. I'd expect vendors to have tweaked their drivers to match the release build and have different drivers depending on the build. So if I were MS, I'd put the stock driver in with the build, and let the vendor update the driver with a version that matched it.

Neither the release build nor Build 1511 has rolled back a driver on me within the same build, and I've used GeForce Experience to update graphics drivers since.

--

I tried different drivers (older .. new beta, and reinstall actual one) nothing helps ..

SO as you said time to upgrade :D ok thanks :)...   (i will have to wait and carefully make plan for this ... building one from start will be better than trying to keep this one running :) )

6 hours ago, llanthas said:

Get an Nvidia card and Windows 7.  Solid and reliable.

Or... do what's smart.

Get whatever card suits your budget, has the power requirements you are comfortable with and, get the operating system that runs faster, more stable and, has better security. Don't buy into the conspiracy stories that your data is being stolen. If you don't want Microsoft knowing what you're typing to Cortana, just don't use the damn thing.

If you're REALLY that bothered by them knowing what you're asking your desktop assistant, perhaps you have bigger things to worry about.

To put it bluntly, people who sit on old OSes that no longer receive updates are at the greatest risk of data theft and intrusion. You also miss out on a bunch of new features. People said the exact same things about 7 back when it came out. About how people should stick with XP because it's "solid and reliable" despite all evidence to the contrary. There's nothing really wrong with 7 but it's certainly not a better option over 10. Not even over 8.1 :P

Edited by hildegain

well i had to upgrade.. thanks to school project where i needed some programs to work with. So i wanted to buy win 8 (price decision) and be able to upgrade it to 10 when needed.. but before i did that, they pull back from stores license i needed :D so i ended with 10 ... i actualy do not have problem with privacy there .. its a work station (with kerbals) so i dont mind :D ...

BTW: i would like to stop debate on witch graphic card do i need :D thanks. really :D i didnt tought that you will be so much into it :D thanks :D    

New (old) graphic card is just like running away from what is inevitable... start over again ... from scratch ... motherboard is main problem .. it will not support modern cards and RAM is issue too .. now there are 4 1GB cards where only 3 are used... really .. i will upgrade. and use only dvd driver and case, and PSU. So far i do not have money on that :D

2BTW: about my problems  with KSP .. today i found something funny... ksp version 1.0.2 is running ok ... it rise question if it is "upgrade win 10" problem at all...  !i upgraded win 10 in january. I do not remember play 1.0.5 on old XP platform too much.. ( as most players who try new version , and than they wait until they loved modlist is updated )

What could be so heavy change to make diference from solid play to constant crashing ?

If this helps, I'm running a stable 1.0.5 current build from Steam on Windows 10 Pro Build 1511, including all of its safeties enabled including User Account Control and Data Execution Prevention, under a non-administrator Microsoft account and with Software Restriction Policies enabled. Now you might say this is overkill for a home PC, but after too many legitimate advertising networks unwittingly serving scammy customers I'm tired of doing nothing about it.

The Steam client deals with file system permissions problems that could raise UAC flags in KSP, so if anyone asks me I'm going to suggest they get a Steam account and buy KSP from there.

The biggest UAC related problem is file system permissions; KSP writes in its installation folder and this will fail if installed in Program Files. Whatever folder you put it in, grant the group "BUILTIN\Users" Modify access to said folder. Steam does this automatically.

Past that, I use a GTX 760 graphics card, which is reasonably priced for what it does. All other things being as locked down as they are, that's what I can check next. I do testing on a virtual machine all the time, and the VMware SVGA 3D emulated card is about as generic as it gets but can still play World of Warcraft. I'll update this post later today right now with a link.

--

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Added successful test link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.