Jupiter & moons!

Wish I had a good setup for photos, but got a nice clear view of Jupiter tonight and four moons; cheap reflecting scope on a city sidewalk was just enough in this perfect night in upstate NewYork. Best part was showing it to a gaggle of passing frat bros who walked off saying, "that was SICK!"

So, if you're in the northern hemisphere right now and it's dark where you are--look up!

Unfortunately for me, it clouded over at sundown and I won't be able to see this. Best thing I have for it anyway is a pair of binoculars (used to have a like 80-year-old spyglass that was better but it got lost and nobody can find it).

I remember nights looking through my small telescope. Usually I would look at the moon, because it had so many interesting features, but sometimes I would hunt for planets. They showed up as disks rather than points. One night I suddenly realized I could see four dots near one of the planets and I realized it must be Jupiter and the Galilean moons. It was pretty neat.

Cloudy here too. I've looked at Jupiter several times in the past month, though. I wish the rocky planets were in the evening sky right now...not much to look at with the telescope. I had a beautifully clear night last week, so I went outside to look at the stars (without the telescope, it was a little cold and I was feeling lazy). As I was hunting for Castor, the six-star system, I happened to notice a small satellite passing right overhead from north to south. I don't know what satellite it was, maybe a GPS one, but it was pretty neat. I rarely see small satellites from non-rural areas, so it was a pleasant surprise. In rural areas, you can almost always spot a few in the evening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.