Shpaget

Remember the Avatar? The 3 billion dollar movie?

Well, I've stumbled upon the new Ghostbusters hope-to-be-a-reboot and that brought me to the original Ghostbusters movie and Sigourney Weaver. Checking up on her IMDB page, the first thing I see is this:

Y3Lom0c.png

Seriously??? Three movies in the "not even a franchise yet" franchise?

Just to make it clear, pre-production means that the movie has received a go-ahead and is practically confirmed and the budget already is or is about to be allocated. It's not just some wishful thinking, planning and hoping by the producers. Yeah, sure, the profits from the first movie can easily finance these three, even with the production cost similar to the first one, but the business model of basically committing to this amount of work.

Three??? Set to be released in ~one year intervals? And I didn't even like the first one that much.

Everybody in the world wanted to see how 3D cinema looks like. There was a movie that shown the possibilities of the technology. So everyone watched it, even people who have never been to cinema ever since. The numbers made the producers think that the movie was good. Now they'll sink a ton of money into the sequels.

But don't worry for them. It's calculated risk - they won't be starving if the franchise turns out to be unprofitable. Though why would it be? People loved Pocahontas back in the day.

Edited by Evanitis

I liked it too. There's better films out there, and it doesn't win any originality awards, but it was still good. It could have been much, much worse, after all.

What bothers me about there now being three planned sequels is that they're pushing back the next film on Cameron's to-do list: Battle Angel. It's based on one of the top five best manga I've ever read, and I was really excited when I heard a movie adaptation was to be made by James Cameron in 2014 - then disheartened when it got pushed to 2016... then 2019...

No seriously, you guys have to read this. Here's some pictures because I can't say enough in just one forum post:

Spoiler

BAA01_10_Tiphares.jpgalita.jpgalita-2nd-body.jpgBAALO03_81_Earth.jpg

Edited by parameciumkid
PICS!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.