Questions regarding my fictional solar system.

robin.heggelund

Hi.

I'm a wannabe author and I'm currently writing my own science fiction story. I've thought up a solar system which I think would be awesome to place my story in, and I want the system to be semi-plausible. I was wondering if anyone could, or know where I could, be able to reality check my fictional solar system?

The idea is that I'm placing the events in a solar system with two suns. There are three planets and a cloud of debris in this system. One planet (Kumu) revolves around one sun (Hoomaka), one planet (Hawewe) revolves around the other (Hopona). The final planet (Paepae), which a small Pluto-sized planet, revolves around and in between both suns. The idea is that as Paepae reaches its apoapsis, the other suns gravity pulls it in, as such the planet changes orbit every time it reaches its apoapsis.

Kumu and Hawewe's orbits are in such a way that the planets only ever align every hundred years (give or a take a decade). When this happens, the planets gravity affects eachother, creating massive natural diseasters which causes the societies on both planets to spend the next couple of decades in rebuilding themselves.

Paepae's orbit is of such a nature, that it get's within reach of Kumu and Hawewe about once a year. Due to the low space-technology of this system, landing on Paepae and let the planet carry the spaceship to Hawewe is the fastest way of travel.

Could such a system possibly exist? This is sci-fi, so I'll write the story anyway, but it would be cool if the science sort of checked out.

Thanks!

Just now, robin.heggelund said:

Hi.

I'm a wannabe author and I'm currently writing my own science fiction story. I've thought up a solar system which I think would be awesome to place my story in, and I want the system to be semi-plausible. I was wondering if anyone could, or know where I could, be able to reality check my fictional solar system?

The idea is that I'm placing the events in a solar system with two suns. There are three planets and a cloud of debris in this system. One planet (Kumu) revolves around one sun (Hoomaka), one planet (Hawewe) revolves around the other (Hopona). The final planet (Paepae), which a small Pluto-sized planet, revolves around and in between both suns. The idea is that as Paepae reaches its apoapsis, the other suns gravity pulls it in, as such the planet changes orbit every time it reaches its apoapsis.

Kumu and Hawewe's orbits are in such a way that the planets only ever align every hundred years (give or a take a decade). When this happens, the planets gravity affects eachother, creating massive natural diseasters which causes the societies on both planets to spend the next couple of decades in rebuilding themselves.

Paepae's orbit is of such a nature, that it get's within reach of Kumu and Hawewe about once a year. Due to the low space-technology of this system, landing on Paepae and let the planet carry the spaceship to Hawewe is the fastest way of travel.

Could such a system possibly exist? This is sci-fi, so I'll write the story anyway, but it would be cool if the science sort of checked out.

Thanks!

I'm not sure, and I'm pretty sure Universe Sandbox 2 wouldn't simulate it properly, so I don't know, perhaps you should talk to @K^2

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

I'm not sure, and I'm pretty sure Universe Sandbox 2 wouldn't simulate it properly, so I don't know, perhaps you should talk to @K^2

Or he could look at the alternate solar system thread in the science labs for inspiration. There's a lot of good stuff in that that might be useful. robin.heggelund, good luck with your story!

Edited by Findthepin1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.