Add a 'Plane' craft type

13 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Or any jet engine, it can check for an engine that uses LF and IntakeAir.

The would categorise it under aircraft, since there is nothing that you said that gets it to space.

Better:

1. There is a rocket engine and a jet engine on board.
  2. There is a RAPIER.
  3. There are wing sections on board the craft.

I don't care about automatically detecting craft types (nice, but it's going to be something that is never going to work every time), but we should have Plane as a type, and an extendable system that allows users to create their own types and assign an icon.

Maybe a Mod can do this, not only to change one word, but so you can class each plane, like, "shuttle"... "Space Plane" "Cargo" etc etc etc... as for rockets, its annoying to have them all lumped in the same area, probes, landers, VTOL ... etc etc... it would make it easier to find a particular ship or plane.

1 hour ago, kiwi1960 said:

Maybe a Mod can do this, not only to change one word, but so you can class each plane, like, "shuttle"... "Space Plane" "Cargo" etc etc etc... as for rockets, its annoying to have them all lumped in the same area, probes, landers, VTOL ... etc etc... it would make it easier to find a particular ship or plane.

Agreed. Modder, please!

I'm not sure I get the point.

When and how would you be tracking a plane that wasn't parked? Also, if it's parked at the KSC or something what's the point in tracking it?

If were talking about space planes, I don't see the need for a separate tag, anything that goes to space is a "ship" in my book. That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they added an extra tag.

On 3/16/2016 at 2:38 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Please Squad, add a "Plane" craft type. I get annoyed by my planes being Ships.

This, right after they add a satellite craft type for all of us who run remote tech or SCANsat  and don't want the map view cluttered up by non probes with probe cores.

On 3/18/2016 at 7:46 AM, Buster Charlie said:

add a satellite craft type for all of us who run remote tech or SCANsat  and don't want the map view cluttered up by non probes with probe cores.

searching for a mod that does this is what got me to this forum thread. I would LOVE a "Relay" craft type that I can set all my RT2 CommSats as, so that when I need to see the comm network I just enable the "Relay" craft icon in the map view. 

This would GREATLY reduce the amount of clutter in map view for those of us that play with RemoteTech.

On March 16, 2016 at 4:07 PM, kiwi1960 said:

On March 16, 2016 at 5:32 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Agreed. Modder, please!

On March 23, 2016 at 8:44 AM, RecidivistTwist said:

searching for a mod that does this is what got me to this forum thread. I would LOVE a "Relay" craft type that I can set all my RT2 CommSats as, so that when I need to see the comm network I just enable the "Relay" craft icon in the map view. 

This would GREATLY reduce the amount of clutter in map view for those of us that play with RemoteTech.

I would gladly do that for you guys... If it was possible. Unfortunately, SQAUD's code doesn't allow for adding more variant craft types. Hopefully one of the Devs sneakily added that option for modders in 1.1.

Well, I once saw a mod that allowed that on KS. I don't remember what it was called, and it was for beta, but that was apparently possible then, so it should be now

(Poor KerbalStuff)

Also Satellite and Orbital Scanner, along with Mothership, Return Vehicle, Cargo Truck, and Car

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

32 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Well, I once saw a mod that allowed that on KS. I don't remember what it was called, and it was for beta, but that was apparently possible then, so it should be now

(Poor KerbalStuff)

Also Satellite and Orbital Scanner, along with Mothership, Return Vehicle, Cargo Truck, and Car

Hmm. Intriguing. It's possible that it was a workaround like the action groups mod, I'll look into it...

I think the only way to do this that will make everybody happy would be to use the same logic as the Subassemblies folders. Have a list of a dozen or so symbols that can represent a variety of types of vessels, and let the player assign the text string that goes with the given icon.

10 minutes ago, LordKael said:

I think the only way to do this that will make everybody happy would be to use the same logic as the Subassemblies folders. Have a list of a dozen or so symbols that can represent a variety of types of vessels, and let the player assign the text string that goes with the given icon.

Except that you don't want to know how subassemblies grouping is currently implemented, and I explicitly don't want vessel grouping to be implemented like that crap.

Proof - try move your save with grouped subassemblies to another instance of KSP and look at your grouping now.

The concept is OK, but it really needs a new code rather than borrowing from any piece of the existing subassembly grouping.

Edited by FancyMouse

4 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

Except that you don't want to know how subassemblies grouping is currently implemented, and I explicitly don't want vessel grouping to be implemented like that crap.

The concept is OK, but it really needs a new code rather than borrowing from any piece of the existing subassembly grouping.

Considering that this is an Indie game, I just assume that most parts of the code could use an "elegance pass" to make things run more smoothly. However, a similar system is what I was recommending, not just a copy/paste job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.