What went wonky with docking???

I had to rescue the crew off a bird in low Kerbin orbit.

I let Mechjeb fly the docking maneuver.  The autopilot cut out with the two ships nose to nose centimeters apart and both were wobbling back and forth--at most 10cm of wobble.  I checked, neither had SAS turned on--what in the world could be causing them to wobble?  I fired up the browser to ask about this mess when suddenly they docked--no control inputs, Mechjeb was not flying either ship.

Huh??????

4 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Docking ports attract each other at close range like magnets.

Often this can result in a sort of wobble as one port chases the other, similar to SAS over correcting on small ships.

Nothing to be alarmed about.

So they can wiggle for ~2 minutes??

Actually, they can wiggle forever. If you watch a ship all alone in high orbit with SAS turned off, it'll wiggle around quite a bit. I think it has to do with how each part is considered as a separate object when calculating the physics.

43 minutes ago, bewing said:

Actually, they can wiggle forever. If you watch a ship all alone in high orbit with SAS turned off, it'll wiggle around quite a bit. I think it has to do with how each part is considered as a separate object when calculating the physics.

Yeah, I think the game overdoes it with physics calculations.  If you're not under power or in atmosphere why is there any reason to calculate the parts separately??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.