No nosecone, 2 intakes on sides, two canards, and one thruster. Make it fly!

Hello everybody.  I have a excessively hard challenge for you: make a plane with no nosecone, two side-intakes, two canards, and one engine.  Fuselage and landing gear are unlimited.  The only lifting surfaces that are allowed are two canards.  The only intakes allowed are the two side-intakes. You must fly all the way to the old KSC (the KSC on the tiny island with the tiny dirt WW2 runway :D) and land there.  For extra credit, take off again and fly all the way back to the new KSC (the default KSC).  Please post a video or image of you doing the challenge.  If you upload the video to YouTube, please put:

Challenge by GGKSPMC (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtLy17F1L83z3oqtcGWML4g) forum thread at (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/134807-no-nosecone-2-intakes-on-sides-two-canards-and-one-thruster-make-it-fly/)

tip:

Spoiler

Tip: use the tiniest fuselage

Badge for badgers:

jI5INrB.png

Edited by GGKSPMC

Just now, HoloYolo said:

oooo I will do. Is there a requirement for the plan such as should it fly to a certain place or do something?

Yes, you have to fly to the old KSP control center (the one on the tiny island with a dirt runway xD

1 hour ago, The Optimist said:

Can we use the non-inline cockpits?

Any cockpit/controller that fits a kerbal and is not a pointy cockpit is acceptable, even the seat :) good question

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, this might be fun...

Great!

3 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

And we can obviously have a cockpit right?

Obviously... :D

Edited by GGKSPMC

Here's my attempt. I went for a light option, rather than a complicated, potentially over-engineered design.

http://imgur.com/a/ENqoh

I had some issues with maintaining control in my original prototypes. The lack of any form of vertical stabiliser proved problematic. Angling the wings up though fixed the issue (somewhat). Even with reaction wheels at the front, roll control was nigh impossible. I ended up yawing and, when it started spinning out on the roll axis, I then compensated and got myself pointing the right way.

1 hour ago, Jetski said:

This was a fun 10 minutes.  Pretty sure I could have made orbit with this one.

Well, then put on the badge!

13 minutes ago, CommanderSmith said:

Here's my attempt. I went for a light option, rather than a complicated, potentially over-engineered design.

http://imgur.com/a/ENqoh

I had some issues with maintaining control in my original prototypes. The lack of any form of vertical stabiliser proved problematic. Angling the wings up though fixed the issue (somewhat). Even with reaction wheels at the front, roll control was nigh impossible. I ended up yawing and, when it started spinning out on the roll axis, I then compensated and got myself pointing the right way.

awesome! You are super innovative! put on the badge!

Edited by GGKSPMC

2 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I was afraid I'd be coming in too hot on the approach, but the high TWR and lots of torque let me maintain a high AoA, so I landed at <50m/s

TJOqdRv.png

Awesome!  You deserve that badge all right!  Put it in your forum signature!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.