[1.4.x] Kerbal Sports: Jebediah Kerman's Fishing Challenge [v1.1.0] [2018-03-22]

nightingale

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Is there a final verdict as to the eventual inclusion of trawler nets or In-Situ Fish Utilization?

Trawler nets are unlikely unless someone provides parts - even there, not sure what the gameplay mechanic would be since the mod is really about the act of fishing and not the getting of fish.  In-Situ Fish Utilization...  to get experience?  Or funds (you already get those).  Or hook it up to a life support mod?

38 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Trawler nets are unlikely unless someone provides parts - even there, not sure what the gameplay mechanic would be since the mod is really about the act of fishing and not the getting of fish.  In-Situ Fish Utilization...  to get experience?  Or funds (you already get those).  Or hook it up to a life support mod?

I was thinking processing fish into resources, such as LF+OX.

If we want to go the other way, with fishing being for sport only, other sports would be cool as well.

1 minute ago, RocketSquid said:

I was thinking processing fish into resources, such as LF+OX.

If we want to go the other way, with fishing being for sport only, other sports would be cool as well.

RoverDude's ModuleResourceConverter (one of the now-stock bits that originated from Regolith) can easily be set up to convert Fish to anything.  Of course, Fish would need to be added as a resource (config files), and you need parts that can hold the fish resources.  All pretty doable, but all stuff that I unfortunately don't have time for, so anyone who's wanting to do that will have my support.

Other sports are planned (hence the "Kerbal Sports" name).  But that'll be as time permits...

6 minutes ago, nightingale said:

RoverDude's ModuleResourceConverter (one of the now-stock bits that originated from Regolith) can easily be set up to convert Fish to anything.  Of course, Fish would need to be added as a resource (config files), and you need parts that can hold the fish resources.  All pretty doable, but all stuff that I unfortunately don't have time for, so anyone who's wanting to do that will have my support.

I can handle the fish resource and resource tanks, but I have no idea how to connect that to the current fishing system.

6 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Other sports are planned (hence the "Kerbal Sports" name).  But that'll be as time permits...

Nice!

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

I can handle the fish resource and resource tanks, but I have no idea how to connect that to the current fishing system.

Would need some new code.  Difficulty is dependent on exactly what you have in mind.

• 4 months later...

@nightingale:

Given the content of today's dev announcement, I thought this would be the appropriate venue to say:

'So long, and thanks for all the fish!'

In a rather more serious vein, I would like to add that this was--surprisingly, to me--one of my absolute favourite mods in 1.1.x.  I run every mod you make and as great as they all are, this is the one that puts the biggest smile on my face.  I wish I understood why so I could tell you, but for now I will instead say good luck, and do please continue your excellent work.

13 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

In a rather more serious vein, I would like to add that this was--surprisingly, to me--one of my absolute favourite mods in 1.1.x.  I run every mod you make and as great as they all are, this is the one that puts the biggest smile on my face.  I wish I understood why so I could tell you, but for now I will instead say good luck, and do please continue your excellent work.

Thanks!  In many ways this is my favourite mod of mine too - it let me go completely out of the box.  Sadly I ran out of steam before I was able to get it up to 1.2, but expect an update sometime (I don't want to say "soon" until I'm really back into everything).

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2017 at 9:22 PM, nightingale said:

Thanks!  In many ways this is my favourite mod of mine too - it let me go completely out of the box.  Sadly I ran out of steam before I was able to get it up to 1.2, but expect an update sometime (I don't want to say "soon" until I'm really back into everything).

It's been a while. Think you could start up development again please? Cuz I want this for when I finally do the To Boldly Go Interstellar Challenge. Also, is the base difficulty of fish on modded planets determined by the planets distance from Kerbin or something else?

Edited by Linventor

On 18/04/2017 at 4:43 PM, Linventor said:

It's been a while. Think you could start up development again please? Cuz I want this for when I finally do the To Boldly Go Interstellar Challenge. Also, is the base difficulty of fish on modded planets determined by the planets distance from Kerbin or something else?

I'll probably be looking at this soon (not for at least another couple weeks).  No idea when 1.3 is officially released, but if it comes out before I get to this I'll likely skip the 1.2 update.

The difficulty is based on two things - the gravity of the current body at sea level (relative to the home body) and 1/10th of the splashed science multiplier.  The multiplier the affects stuff like fish weight and speed.  Current depth of water also affects the fish size/type which impacts the difficulty.

So those are the rough factors to know how difficult fishing will be on a given planet in the Interstellar mod.

17 minutes ago, nightingale said:

I'll probably be looking at this soon (not for at least another couple weeks).  No idea when 1.3 is officially released, but if it comes out before I get to this I'll likely skip the 1.2 update.

The difficulty is based on two things - the gravity of the current body at sea level (relative to the home body) and 1/10th of the splashed science multiplier.  The multiplier the affects stuff like fish weight and speed.  Current depth of water also affects the fish size/type which impacts the difficulty.

So those are the rough factors to know how difficult fishing will be on a given planet in the Interstellar mod.

So, in other words, even though my target is "close" to Kerbin, I'll have a pretty difficult time fishing there. Also, the mod's To Boldly Go, not Interstellar.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/10/2018 at 12:17 AM, nightingale said:

So what's the interest level in my reviving this mod for 1.4.0?

I am certainly interested.  In fairness, though, I'm not yet on 1.4 and I won't be until they work out some of the bugs (here's hoping for 1.4.2).

On the other hand, if you released this for 1.4, I think I'd ignore the bugs and get it for the sake of the mod anyway.

MH will bring back a lot of KSP lurkers, this might be a good time to make an update. It will always be small in demand: It's a diversion. We try it, get a good laugh, and go back to messing with rocket parts.

If you went through the extra work of building more gameplay value to the activity, it might grow a little more. But, one Kerbal out fishing shouldn't exceed the benefits of a mobile lab. It 'would be nice' to find a 'rare species' (1 in 20 chance?) that was worth a scaled amount of science points. It could be automatically stored in a nearby command pod or science container. 

I arrived here after looking through the forum post list of mods, and remembered back to the good times noted in the first post.

April 1 is almost upon us! 

3 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

MH will bring back a lot of KSP lurkers, this might be a good time to make an update. It will always be small in demand: It's a diversion. We try it, get a good laugh, and go back to messing with rocket parts.

If you went through the extra work of building more gameplay value to the activity, it might grow a little more. But, one Kerbal out fishing shouldn't exceed the benefits of a mobile lab. It 'would be nice' to find a 'rare species' (1 in 20 chance?) that was worth a scaled amount of science points. It could be automatically stored in a nearby command pod or science container. 

I arrived here after looking through the forum post list of mods, and remembered back to the good times noted in the first post.

April 1 is almost upon us! 

Haha, I doubt I'll be able to get anything done for April 1st this year...  but the re-release of this mod...  feasible!

7 hours ago, nightingale said:

Fishing is back in KSP 1.4 and it's here to stay!  Download here.

Kerbal Sports 1.1.0

• Support for KSP 1.4.1
  • Added support for localization.

Dreams do come true!!!!!!! But I'm using KSP 1.3.1... yjYqH92.png I won't take it out on you, probably. I'd run though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.