Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

59 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I've always wondered how that distinction is made. For example, the USN calls all submarines "boats" rather than "ships" even if they're 18,000t SSBNs. I think different groups must use different definitions.

Subs have always been referred to as "boats" in the Navy, but the actual definition of the difference between a boat and a ship depends on who you ask and is a massive can of worms. If you ask the US Navy to be pedantic, any surface Naval vessel that moves under its own power is a ship, and gets the USS prefix.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I've always wondered how that distinction is made. For example, the USN calls all submarines "boats" rather than "ships" even if they're 18,000t SSBNs. I think different groups must use different definitions.

The distinction is made in different places in different ways, there is not (as Kerbart and others will try and tell you) any fixed and universally accepted division.

The Submarine Force (not the USN) calls submarines "boats" because back in the day they were very small compared to the major combatants of the day.   During roughly the same era we also had "torpedo boats" and "torpedo boat destroyers" - the former went away, and the latter became the destroyer of today.

4 minutes ago, Gojira1000 said:

If you ask the US Navy to be pedantic, any surface Naval vessel that moves under its own power is a ship, and gets the USS prefix.

Unless its a vessel that moves under it's own power and is assigned into Naval Service (a paperwork dodge that lets Navy ships be run by civilians) rather than to the Navy, then it gets the USNS prefix.

Just now, DerekL1963 said:

The distinction is made in different places in different ways, there is not (as Kerbart and others will try and tell you) any fixed and universally accepted division.

The Submarine Force (not the USN) calls submarines "boats" because back in the day they were very small compared to the major combatants of the day.   During roughly the same era we also had "torpedo boats" and "torpedo boat destroyers" - the former went away, and the latter became the destroyer of today.

Unless its a vessel that moves under it's own power and is assigned into Naval Service (a paperwork dodge that lets Navy ships be run by civilians) rather than to the Navy, then it gets the USNS prefix.

It's a horrid can of worms :) But fun to poke at.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Actually it's not. In shipping

I know different groups tend to get their panties in a bunch over the terms boat and ship. I am not having any of it and call boat both equally valid. Whatever floats your vessel.

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

I know different groups tend to get their panties in a bunch over the terms boat and ship. I am not having any of it and call boat both equally valid. Whatever floats your vessel.

In seawater or freshwater? Summer or winter? Tropics or arctic! Be more specific man! :D

3 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

So what are the chances that this thing actually launches today?

And more importantly... are there bookies where you can make bets? That's the first launch I'm following, but it feels more fun than watching sports.

20 minutes ago, Camacha said:

When will the feeds be up? Is that 90 minutes or is that actual launch time?

from previous experience with SpaceX's live feeds that time is launch time and feed starts anywhere between 10-20 minutes earlier.

31 minutes ago, Camacha said:

When will the feeds be up? Is that 90 minutes or is that actual launch time?

Upper level winds are still listed as a watch item, with launch scheduled at 6:35 PM ET with a window lasting until 8:06 PM.  Looks like semi-clear skies though.  

Live feed is scheduled at 6:25 PM ET.

1 minute ago, WuphonsReach said:

So the landing barge has a different name "I still love you"?

There are two:  "Of Course I Still Love You" and "Just Read The Instructions" both named after starships in Ian M. Banks "Culture" novels.

Ah, there are three two barges:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_spaceport_drone_ship

Just Read the Instructions (JRtI) - the original was named this, then was retired, there is now a new barge with the same name and is now on the west coast

Of Course I Still Love You (OCISLY) - much newer, stationed on the east coast

Timer on the technical stream is 9 seconds behind the spacex/webcast one...

Edited by WuphonsReach