Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just now, Motokid600 said:

Why couldn't they just get permission to boost back to land?

I think it had more to do with the delta-v budget than anything else, they need less remaining fuel to land down range than RTLS.

2 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

i'm not sure they even finished building the landing pads at vandenberg :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

1 minute ago, Motokid600 said:

Just now, KerBlammo said:

I think it had more to do with the delta-v budget than anything else, they need less remaining fuel to land down range than RTLS.

I also think they don't have a landing site on the west coast.

1 minute ago, KerBlammo said:

They had more than enough delta-v to land back at land, but i heard they couldn't get clearance from the air force or some party who controls the airspace(?)

3 minutes ago, Latcarf said:

What if the drone ship was fitted with rockets on the four corners -- so that it could make contact above the waves and compensate for the wind in the same way the landing rocket does?

^^^ this is the best idea I've ever had.

I dont think that the wind and waves move the drone.. its proppelers should be able to correct those things.
The problem is the lack of stability, in the video it seems to experience 20 degress change in each wave.
They need gyroscopes to solve that.. and a bigger ship.

9 minutes ago, Arcturusvfx said:

Guess the F9 V 1.1 was never meant to land :(..............In one piece anyway.

It landed just fine in Florida several days ago. It's landing on barges that rockets have trouble with. But the same can be said about planes and aircraft carriers.

3 minutes ago, Scotius said:

It landed just fine in Florida several days ago. It's landing on barges that rockets have trouble with. But the same can be said about planes and aircraft carriers.

there is a big difference in size between an aircraft and a carrier, this thing is just like a little boat in comparison with the rocket.

Oh well, the mission was a success, they stuck the landing, just those pesky landing gear. If they could get it land within 1 meter of target, perhaps they could have a clap system instead of landing gear. Imagine 3 or more small towers with at least two levels of extendible wheels. the rocket would land between the towers, the wheels would rapidly extend, press against the rocket from all sides and hit latches, locking on to the rocket. I'll try to make it in KSP for example.

What if they had electromagnets or something on the barge that can switch on upon landing to slow it down or even just keep the stage upright? No idea if that's actually possible, but it would give them time to stabilize it before it has a chance to tip over.

51 minutes ago, KerBlammo said:

No, the Jason 3 satellite is quite light-weight, they had plenty of excess DeltaV. The problem is they didn't get permission to fly over a wildlife preserve area near launch site.

8 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

What if they had electromagnets or something on the barge that can switch on upon landing to slow it down or even just keep the stage upright? No idea if that's actually possible, but it would give them time to stabilize it before it has a chance to tip over.

you would need some seriously big electromagnets. Like... ehm... very big.

4 minutes ago, Wingman703 said:

Wait, does that mean that much like the last barge landing, it landed, but tipped over moments afterwards? Because that's much different then hitting the deck too hard and fireballing. 

No, I think it means it landed much like the land-landing last launch, but then one of the landing gear folded up.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

No, I think it means it landed much like the land-landing last launch, but then one of the landing gear folded up.

both are plausible we'll have to see the landing footage to be sure (or verbal confirmation) 

43 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

I think the problem was mechanical, and had nothing to do with speed or the barge or waves. The leg folded out but didn't lock, and so when it touched down, that leg folded back up and the the rocket tipped.

Here is Scott Manley's response on twitter: https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/688806812464758786

p.s. How do you post the fancy tweet thing like people did above?

Edited by The Yellow Dart